Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Alarm System Problem

4running
01-24-2004, 12:53 AM
I have a 99 4runner LTD. The remote of the alarm stoped working. I keep hitting the unlock button, but to no luck. The alarm is still armed.
I changed the battery of the remote and nothing. :banghead: :nono:
I'm looking for a solution and here is what I'm thinking:

1- Go ahead and unlock the doors manually. The alarm will start sounding. Open the hood and disconnect the battery. From then on I don't know what will happen. I'm afraid that when I connect the battery again, the alarm will still be sounding.

2- Tow the car to a dealer ship and see what they can do and who knows how much would that cost.

Anyways, if anybody has had this happen, please let me know what you did.

Thanks a lot 4runner lovers,

"4running"

ponchonutty
01-24-2004, 05:55 AM
if alarm is OEM, it should disarm from the key in door.

4running
01-24-2004, 10:13 AM
So I also called the Toyota dealer, and he said that if you unlock the
car with key, and the alarm starts sounding, just insert the key in the
ignition and turn it on and off three times, and that should stop the alarm.

I went to the car and open the door with the key, and the alarm
never sounded. I put the key in the ignition and the car started just
fine. Yeah. :)

At this point I have the car back, but the remote doesn't work. I
have to manualy lock and unlock the car.

Since this was my only remote, I had bought another one a few
months ago, but I had never programed it with my car. So I tried to
do that too. Followed this directions:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t142986.html (http://)

but to no luck. At leas the car is drivable, but at this point I don't
know what to do about the alarm...

Any ideas out there?

Thanks,
4running

4running
06-22-2004, 06:50 PM
So I just wanted to give an update on this issue, because it may help a few people out there. It helped me a lot.

So from the last note, I had gone to one of the local dealer here about the remote control and the key on my 99 LTD. I was stuck with only one key and remote. This particular dealer was happy to point out that my only key was a "silver" one which makes it a slave key not a master one. Without the master key the dealer couln't make me another copy. His only solution was to replace the computer on my car and get an all new system wich comes with two master keys and a slave key. Cost = $1500 - $1800 :eek7:

Walked out of there very upset. I decided to try another Toyota dealer. Explained the situation and he proceded to tell me the same thing, that I had no choise but to replace the computer but, and listen to this guys:

"Toyota provides one time free replacement of the computer when you have lost all of your master keys with the condition that you buy two master keys cost of $60 each, and pay for two hours of labor x $110. Total cost ~ $350 :)

So, for you guys out there stuck with one key, and that is the silver key, there is salvation at much cheper cost. Toyota, not the dealer even sent me a letter explaining the situation, and telling me that that was the only time that they would do that, and to keep a master key at safe place. No kidding, after what I had go through.

If you guys have any questions, let me know, I will even give you the phone number of the Service manager of the Toyota dealer here, in case you own local Toyota dealor tries to take advantage of your situation.

Cheers,
Ledio

trdspec2
07-04-2004, 12:58 AM
WTF $350 bucs
Dude go aftermarket factory alarms are garbage!
Viper And Autopager are damn good, for about $200 bucs
you could have got a good alarm that deturs theft really!
$200 bucs is installed price. Dont go to the dealership!
the aftermarket shop would have fixed your problem faster than
the dealer, i bet they didnt even work on your truck for 2hours time! :twak:

4running
07-06-2004, 10:48 AM
This is not the alarm I replaced, it was the computer itself of the car that controls the engine, the alarm/car entry/starting and everything else a computer doesn in a car which is a $1500 part. I did go to the after market places, but they kept pointing me to the dealor, and only a dealor can replace an reprogram the computer.

Cheers,
Ledio

qapmaz
07-06-2004, 02:51 PM
This vehicle probably has the engine immobilizer system in which if it doesn't recognize the chip in the key it won't allow the vehicle to start. The "silver" key is supposed to serve as a valet key preventing someone from making a copy to start your vehicle. Toyota does have a one time computer replacement in case you lose your master keys. Keep in mind though that Toyota will not pay labor for computer installation and reprogramming your keys. They will also require that you purchase new keys.

4running
07-06-2004, 03:23 PM
Yes, that's what I said in my first post. The requirement was 2 hrs of labor and two new master keys, total of ~ $300. Other dealors didn't even metion to me this option. They just quoted me a $1800-$2000 price tag for replacing the computer and the new keys.

Cheers,
Ledio

Add your comment to this topic!