Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Turbo cahrger

1989chevycamaro
01-23-2004, 10:15 PM
I have a 1989 Camaro RS V6 and I was wounder if any one knows where I can get a Turbo Charger for it.
I know a person at work that said he had a turbocharger on his Camaro but it came with the car when he bought it so he was not much help to me. :banghead: : :eek7:

supervisor1886
01-23-2004, 10:24 PM
what kind turbo charger do you need? driven by puleys and belt or as a part of exhaust. There is a plenty on the net, blowers starting at $400 or whole kits, they like $1800 at up (Weiland, Holley-4/5 pounds of boost), you can get them including everying ( fuel pump, sensors etc.)

Hypsi87
01-24-2004, 04:48 PM
I have a 1989 Camaro RS V6 and I was wounder if any one knows where I can get a Turbo Charger for it.
I know a person at work that said he had a turbocharger on his Camaro but it came with the car when he bought it so he was not much help to me. :banghead: : :eek7:

What v-6 is it? if is a 2.8 forget it. It won't last. Not unless you drop compression and do the other necciary stuff to aid in it. Besides your computer would freak out if it saw boost. Go find a TPI setup You will get more power for less money. I mean all that money to run what 7 PSI of boost. Well every 14.7 PSI is amost like doubling the CID of your engine. so for 7 PSI max your car would run like a 230-270 CID engine. Thats not even figuring effencies *sp*.

Hypsi87
01-24-2004, 04:50 PM
what kind turbo charger do you need? driven by puleys and belt or as a part of exhaust. There is a plenty on the net, blowers starting at $400 or whole kits, they like $1800 at up (Weiland, Holley-4/5 pounds of boost), you can get them including everying ( fuel pump, sensors etc.)

If they are driven by a belt is is a super charger.... The reason they are called Turbochargers is because it is driven by a turbine off of heat and exhaust

drvngstorm05
01-24-2004, 06:04 PM

pully-driven? i think u might be thinking of the centrifical (i can't spell) superchargers.

supervisor1886
01-25-2004, 12:19 AM
I am not talking about the real pro-street "superchargers", but the type that we call "blowers" baisically is known as a supercharger and isnt driven dy exhaust gases. This supercharger is a turbo like device simular to true turbos using power of your engine directly from the crank shaft. Many bolt on kits available for newer v6 camaros and it is good that we dont have to mess with exhaust.Except this set up requires some fuel and computer up-grades as well. I personally saw one on one guys 98 Mustang GT(aprox 350hp in it).The car has a mount where the turbo goes, and yes its driven by a pulley. The turbo sucks cold air from the cars right fender, there is a hall in its inner linning, then the air is forced directlly to the trothel body(should be larger). Also it has a large volume fuel pump and a module which measures how much fuel pressure must be added to match the boost.Therefore the size of pulleys varies from small to large in order to avoid backfiring and detonation. The whole set up is $2300 Easy to instal.It is really cool stuff but very pricy, so its up to you.Considering the price you can expect 10-12.5 psi of boost. Separate turbos are starting at $300 and up.

89IROC&RS
01-25-2004, 02:25 PM
supervisor, that is a supercharger, driving storm is right, its called a centrifical supercharger, it looks like the front half of a turbo, without the exhaust side. it looks like a snail shell. the pro-street supercharger you are talking about is referred to as a "roots" style supercharger. and there is a third type, known as a "screw" style, which is found as a magnacharger. so a simplified answer to this question, any forced induction adder driven by the engine, via a belt, is a supercharger, any forced induction adder powered by exhaust gasses is a turbo.

supervisor1886
01-25-2004, 11:22 PM
gotta admit.....I was wrong.

89IROC&RS
01-26-2004, 01:21 AM
no prob bob, we all learn somethin new every day ;)

Add your comment to this topic!