Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Where to mount amp...?

SilverY2KCivic
12-27-2001, 01:00 AM
Got a sweet Infinity amp for X-mas from my cousin and her fiance. :eek: I'm gonna attempt to install it myself by this weekend, going to get an amp wiring kit tomorrow. Other than figuring out where I'm gonna conceal the power cables to the amp, I dunno where I should mount it. :( Wiring the amp up, I'm expecting to be a piece of cake, as I'm pretty good with basic electronaics, and wiring things up. Suggestions I've heard on where to mount it, are on the back of the rear seatback, and then have the sub butted up against it (I have a 2000 Civic coupe by the way), I've also been suggested to just mount the amp directly to my subwoofer box I'm gonna be hooking the amp up to. I would like to install it that way (to help maximize trunk space) but maybe I'm under the wrong assumption here, but if mounted directly to the sub box, wouldn't the vibrations coming from it, not be good for the amp to experience? Ir does it not matter? Also where might you all suggest I mount this bad boy? Thanks. :)

Oh, and for those remembering "hey, Infinity doesn't make amps anymore..." Your right, well not for the US at least. ;) Yup, the amp I have is a Euro spec amp, model RA7502. :cool:

xivera
12-27-2001, 01:17 AM
If this amp is strictly for your sub, mount it on your sub box given that it is made of MDF. (I forget the thickness...)

SilverY2KCivic
12-27-2001, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by xivera
If this amp is strictly for your sub, mount it on your sub box given that it is made of MDF. (I forget the thickness...)

Yeah, the box I have is made from "¾ MDF particle board (or is it just called MDF?) Anyways, yeah, it's made out of what it should be, and to the recommeded specs. :cool:

sparq
12-27-2001, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by SilverY2KCivic

Yeah, the box I have is made from "¾ MDF particle board (or is it just called MDF?) Anyways, yeah, it's made out of what it should be, and to the recommeded specs. :cool:
Particle board is not MDF...

Its only about HALF as dense as MDF and should not be considered a substitute. "Well wood is wood" is not a correct statement. Make sure its REAL MDF... knock on it, the box should NOT sound hollow, it should sound basically like it were a tank. You should hear a THUD rather then the hollow sound. If you built the box yourself, a good way to tell is by how much dust was created. If you used a power saw, you should have more dust and debris then you know what to do with ~ even after just one cut. This is because as you know, MDF is just sawdust and glue under extreme pressures... Particle board would still create a dust, but you shouldnt see nearly as much as MDF is more dense.

BUT, no mounting the amp to the box shouldnt cause any problems. I hate mounting amps to the box for the simple fact it just makes it THAT much easier for a theif to steal everything out of your car. If he sees he has to lean into your car and unscrew the amp from the back seat ~ if the theif feels as if there isnt enough time you would only be out a subwoofer box. Word to the wise, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS BOLT your subwoofer box to your car...

kicker1_solo
12-27-2001, 02:52 PM
I like amps on the back of the seat, here's a picture of how I had mine.
http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/anonymous_retard/vwp?.dir=/Carli%27s+Prelude&.src=bc&.dnm=amps.jpg&.view=t&.done=http%3a//briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/anonymous_retard/lst%3f%26.dir=/Carli%2527s%2bPrelude%26.src=bc%26.view=t

igo4bmx
12-27-2001, 03:00 PM
you have a 6th gen coupe?

pull up your carpet in your trunk. look for yous spare and then thearea where the jack hides. between that area is alot of space to mount an amp. it will be hidden and keep space available in your trunk

SilverY2KCivic
12-27-2001, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by sparq

Particle board is not MDF...

Its only about HALF as dense as MDF and should not be considered a substitute. "Well wood is wood" is not a correct statement. Make sure its REAL MDF... knock on it, the box should NOT sound hollow, it should sound basically like it were a tank. You should hear a THUD rather then the hollow sound. If you built the box yourself, a good way to tell is by how much dust was created. If you used a power saw, you should have more dust and debris then you know what to do with ~ even after just one cut. This is because as you know, MDF is just sawdust and glue under extreme pressures... Particle board would still create a dust, but you shouldnt see nearly as much as MDF is more dense.

BUT, no mounting the amp to the box shouldnt cause any problems. I hate mounting amps to the box for the simple fact it just makes it THAT much easier for a theif to steal everything out of your car. If he sees he has to lean into your car and unscrew the amp from the back seat ~ if the theif feels as if there isnt enough time you would only be out a subwoofer box. Word to the wise, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS BOLT your subwoofer box to your car...

What I have IS MDF, I wasn't sure if was just called MDF or MDF something else. Anyways, I know wood isn't just wood, I play drums, and so that's one of the first things you just know. Anyways, when thinking about mounting the amp to the box, the theif issue came to mind as well, with me. SO I'm more leaning towards NOT mounting it to the box itse;f. I think the space next to the spare, like mentioned above sounds like a good place to mount it. I'll check it out, and see if the amp will fit there or not.

kicker1_solo
01-01-2002, 07:14 PM
get it in yet? Have any pics yet?

SilverY2KCivic
01-02-2002, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by kicker1_solo
get it in yet? Have any pics yet?

Yup, got it in on Dec. 30th! :D I ended up mounting it under the trunk floorboard, betweem the spare tire, and the jack, It's out of the way, fits PERFECTLY there, and it's harder to find. ;) I drilled holes in the bottom of the trunk pan, and mounted the board to there, thatr I have the amp mounted to. I'll have pics of it hopefully later tonight. The install itself was rither easy, well all the wiring, and running the cables for it, drilling and mounting the dang mounting board for it, was the hardest part. :bloated:

igo4bmx
01-02-2002, 01:34 PM
yay you took my idea!!

kicker1_solo
01-02-2002, 04:19 PM
wow, sounds cool. Can't wait for the pictures....

SilverY2KCivic
01-02-2002, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by igo4bmx
yay you took my idea!!

And an excellent one it was, thanks for the suggestion of it. :cool:

xivera
01-03-2002, 02:36 AM
You know what would've been nice?

Maybe... you could've put some light wood (or something... some sorta cover-like-thingie) to surround the amp so it seems recessed... or something...

spy54
01-03-2002, 03:20 AM
so where are the pics man!!:D

igo4bmx
01-03-2002, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by xivera
You know what would've been nice?

Maybe... you could've put some light wood (or something... some sorta cover-like-thingie) to surround the amp so it seems recessed... or something...

what i'm gonna do it lay fiberglass to make a mold of the floor.
paint it, mount amps on it in some layout. that area will be covered with a plexiglasscover.

SilverY2KCivic
01-03-2002, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by spy54
so where are the pics man!!:D

Err, I spent the last hour of daylight after I got home from work yesterday, putting in some 2-way coax speakers I got for my fronts. Sorry guys. :D

Add your comment to this topic!