Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 Chevy S-10 - won't start - fuel pump?

rslack
01-23-2004, 07:35 PM
I have a 98 Chevy s-10 that has been running fine. I was driving it all day. I made a half hour stop, came out to start it again and it wouldn't start. When I turn the key, it wants to start and sounds like it's turning over put won't actually start. I don't here the fuel pump like I usually do when I start it. I checked the fuse to the fuel pump but that seems fine. Could it be that I need to replace the fuel pump? Anyway to tell if it is the fuel pump before replacing it?

Appreciate your feedback-

BUGPAK1600
01-23-2004, 08:47 PM
Dear rslack a quick way to check your fuel pump is to make sure it is getting voltage, do this by using a digital voltage tester on the wires going to the fuel pump if they are accessable. You might also want to check the fuel filter and lines, because that is a lot cheaper. I am not sure but some GM models also have inline fuses to some devices, which aren't located in the fuse box, to find this out buy a service manual for your truck at any local auto store, it is the best 20 dollars you can spend!!!!

Fox_Rocks
01-24-2004, 06:02 PM
i suspect that your fuel pump is stil working if you can hear it cycle like you said....did you check all your fuses or just the fuel pump one? i wonder if your EEC or ECM fuse it done....anyways that would be a long shot. the easiest thing to do is check your fuel pressure on the fuel rail on your engine. try those for now, let me know.

NovaRod
02-16-2004, 10:34 AM
Your symptoms seem similar to what we are working on with a '96 2.2L.

Check the following thread and if you find anything, let us know. we will do the same. Thanks!
NovaRod

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=188705

wutziznuts
02-27-2004, 06:36 PM
Yup, your fuel pump is shot. I have the same truck, and literally the exact same thing happened to me. I could no longer hear the fuel pump and she wouldn't turn over, but it would still crank. The fuel pump is an in tank and sending uniy combined. The whole unit costs anywhere from $400-600 depending where you buy it. Sorry man, I know it sucks!

Add your comment to this topic!