Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

posi rear for a 3rd gen

koeb$
01-22-2004, 08:39 PM
im looking to get a posi rear for my 84 TA and am not sure what will fit, im lookin for a 323 or 373 posi, but am not sure if i have a 10 bolt rear or not, and im not sure what applications i can get the rear from

Genopsyde
01-22-2004, 08:54 PM
you most likely have a 7.5" 10 bolt rear end, if it's stock.

koeb$
01-22-2004, 09:00 PM
yea the rear is stock, but what car can i get a posi off to fit my car, and say i get it off a newer car wil i have to change my drum brakes to disc brakes

89IROC&RS
01-22-2004, 09:19 PM
no. find a wrecked fourth gen, the rear end is the same. open it up, pull out the torsen carrier, it will have gears on it, rebuild it with a kit from a reputable company, and it will bolt right into your rear end. same part number for the bearrings and everything. you will not have to change the brakes. although you will have to swap axles, the camaros before 89 had 26 spline axles i believe, 89 and newer have 28 spline axles. there are aftermarket axles available to adapt the newer rear end to the older cars. to find out what rear end is in your donar car, open the driver side door, and find the build sheet. its a small sticker, about the size of a 3x5in card. with a whole helluva lot of three digit codes. look for these codes

G80 - posi rear (aka torsen)
Gu5 - 3.23 gears
GU6 - 3.42 gears

good luck :)

koeb$
01-22-2004, 09:42 PM
damn that jus what i needed to kno thanks man, i'll let you kno how my search goes

Hypsi87
01-23-2004, 08:24 AM
update on the 8.5" 10 bolt. All large hub 10 bolt rear ends I'm told are the 8.5" ring gear. also some trucks. They are not exclusive to the Grand National. There you go.

Oh has anyone read the latest issue of GM hi tech performance? Cal hartline who lives in chicago IL. runs 8.50's on a stock rearend!!

smellysnatch
01-23-2004, 05:04 PM
so your telling this kid to swap a rear in his back yard?? how is he going to shim the rear no matter how good of a rear you buy your going to have to line it up i wouldnt do it yourself.
damn rooke site

Hypsi87
01-23-2004, 06:20 PM
so your telling this kid to swap a rear in his back yard?? how is he going to shim the rear no matter how good of a rear you buy your going to have to line it up i wouldnt do it yourself.
damn rooke site

only a rookie does not know how to swap a rearend. Anyone with a little experence can do it, It's no big deal. Some of us have to do our own work. We don't have the money to go running off to some mechanic to have him install parts.

89IROC&RS
01-23-2004, 07:07 PM
yeah, i do all my own work, im the only one who ever turns a wrench on my babies, im also a chevy tech, but thats besides the point. also, if you actually read the post, he was asking where to get one, not how to put it in. if that had been his question, im sure the advice would have followed. and also, i agree with hypsi, you can very easily do it yourself, with the proper tools, and follow the directions out of a hayens manual even, it is rather strait forward, im sorry that you find it that difficult, perhaps you should gain some more experience, before you go critisizing people for neglecting to mention something you felt you should add. but i will agree with you, that everyone should do it the first time, with someone experienced to offer assistance. that dosnt mean you have to.

Vlad_Tepes
01-24-2004, 12:01 PM
im not talking about a full rear swap im talking about ring and pinion like a professional would do and not ghettoing things up like swapping rears just because he wants a posi and different ratio flame edited by John

opinions are like assholes everyone got one some are bigger than other just like you....

I fucking hate trolls... they are up there with car thieves they should fucking die...

They can talk a lot shit from behind that keyboard....but aint got the sack to back it up....

koeb$
01-24-2004, 01:17 PM
cut the wheel weels n throw a 502 in the grandpa wagon

drvngstorm05
01-24-2004, 05:40 PM
update on the 8.5" 10 bolt. All large hub 10 bolt rear ends I'm told are the 8.5" ring gear. also some trucks. They are not exclusive to the Grand National. There you go.

Oh has anyone read the latest issue of GM hi tech performance? Cal hartline who lives in chicago IL. runs 8.50's on a stock rearend!!

i read that mag all the time, i love it. it is pretty incredible wut cal has done w/ his gn, did u read the story on how he tore apart a local 'stang guy who claimed he ran high 10's. the 'stang had slicks and cal had street tires! still ripped him up! but right now wut i'm really lookin at is the LT1 third gen swap they are doing w/ a t/a. i plan on doing the same with my 92 rs. i've already bought wrecked a 97 z28, i plan on swapping the lt1, t56 and posi. wuts funny tho, is that i didn't even realize that the 97 lt1 came w/ aluminum heads (added bonus!) oh well, i hope to send in pictures after i get it repainted red w/ black heritage stripes. so excited!

89IROC&RS
01-24-2004, 10:29 PM
wow, speaking of trolls. dude, perhaps you should go back to the hood and talk trash to people who get off on that. vlad is a pretty cool guy, and i think its an awesome idea. dude, im tellin ya, these mouthy newbs are pretty annoying.

Vlad_Tepes
01-24-2004, 10:31 PM
Ok keyboard warrior

talk all you want cuz the truth is your too chickenshit to leave the house.
Aint your momma calling you for dinner?

Sorry Vlad had to edit this last comment to keep it rated PG13...

But I agree with you. John

89IROC&RS
01-24-2004, 10:34 PM
for all those who want to get into trash talking pissing contests, go start a thread and invite some people to come and play. this is a thread started by someone looking for help, if you dont have anything to say on the subject, then dont waist everyones time with a petty childish post that dosnt offer anything constructive.

Vlad_Tepes
01-24-2004, 11:02 PM
IROC your right bro didnt mean to hi-jack the thread.
Sorry fellas

<--------"does not play well with others"

89IROC&RS
01-24-2004, 11:44 PM
dont worry bout it vlad, wasnt aimed at you

Genopsyde
01-25-2004, 12:09 AM
yea mother fucker!

Hypsi87
01-25-2004, 11:47 AM
So what are you going to do? Go buy a new carrier or what? (For the rear end)

89IROC&RS
01-25-2004, 01:48 PM
probly stopped reading the thread seeing as it no longer applied to him.

Davecamaro86
01-25-2004, 02:59 PM
Wow

Shortbus
01-25-2004, 05:51 PM
Guys I rarely check my email for post's reported to mods, but if you see trolls about please pm me and I'll take em out and make the other moderators aware of their IP address and such so we can keep these A**holes out of here.

Thx

89IROC&RS
01-26-2004, 01:00 AM
thanx john :)

Add your comment to this topic!