Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

LeSabre starting problems

Rogator
01-22-2004, 04:42 PM
I have a 1988 LeSabre 3.8. On occasion the car will quit running while going down the road never while idling. Sometimes it will start right away after stalling and sometimes I need to let it sit for 5 or 10 minutes. Sometimes it will do this 2 or 3 times in 10 minutes and sometimes not for days. It has always started every morning. Today the car did not want start. After an hour it started fine. An hour later it would not start but does crank over good. Later on it will start then later not. I'm a little worried about driving to a garage in the cold weather(live in the country) to get it checked for codes. Worried it might quit on the road. Any ideas? Thanks for the help.

thejudge
04-05-2004, 10:32 AM
Don’t know if your starting problem has been resolved. I had problems with my 1988 LeSabre this weekend. Car stalled on freeway and fuel pump in fuel tank made windup noise. After the car sat for 10 minutes, it started with no abnormal noise but stalled out again. Come to find out, the fuel cap inner seal was not functioning. As fuel is depleted in the tank the inner seal in the cap should lift off allowing air to come in otherwise a vacuum will occur and the fuel pump will cogitate…lack of fuel to pump. You can test the fuel cap by sucking in on the inner area of the cap and some air should come in. By blowing out the seal should seat and no air blowing out. This keeps the fumes from escaping while the engine in not running. I replace the cap and so far, no problems. Also, I have just discovered that there may be a canister with a filter in the engine compartment. That I need to check. Good luck.

Add your comment to this topic!