Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tires size and MPG question

dbarwi1
01-22-2004, 10:06 AM
Good morning -

I am looking to upgrade my tires from the puny stock tires to perhaps a 31" tire. What is the largest size tire I can get for a 99 Wrangler without a lift? The original tires the Jeep came with made a HORRIBLE rubbing/knocking noise during hard lefts and rights. What's the largest size I can use and still avoid this annoyance?

Also, I have heard that you can use washers in the steering to avoid this problem. Could anyone direct me to a website which would show how to do this?

Finally, I keep reading that my 99 should get over 20 on h/w mpg. I can't get anything above 18, sometimes as low as 16. Any ideas on how I can increase this with minimal expense?

Thanks.
Daniel

windywinters
01-24-2004, 12:05 PM
You can use a 31" tire with no trouble on the street but if you do any off roading 2"-3" of lift is recommended.

steve_healy
01-25-2004, 10:23 AM
Not sure if I would even recomend true 31's on the street. You will see a lot of jeeps doing it with cuts in the tires due to the tire contacting the sharp edges of the wheel well. You can get the wrangler stock with 31" tires however these are actually about a 29" diameter if measured. A BFG for example will run very close to 31.

crazy6carl9
02-04-2004, 08:50 PM
you should be fine with 31's my buddy has a jeep with 33's that come out to 32's with the correct offset and he has no rub driving on road unless he hits a big bumb or pot hole. and gas milege he gets 13 14 with 307 gears in the rear end so if u want better gas milege think about getting larger gears.

Add your comment to this topic!