Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

any brake suggestions greatly appreciated

3.8style
01-22-2004, 08:43 AM
i would like to replace the brakes on my 88 lesabre with bigger, better brakes. any suggestions? how do i chose a kit? if i get a kit does it come with instructions? will i have to modify the car for a kit? do i need a kit? should i do discs in front and rear? i've read that there should be about a 4 in. difference between disc size and rim size, is that true? i probably have more questions but i can't think of them right now.

as you can see i like to ask questions! i'm so thankful for this forum!

comp
01-22-2004, 11:56 AM
have you tried a pad up-grade with new rotors etc.? that can make a
big differance. try a search for HIGH-PERFORMANCE BRAKES check
site's have you check the forum sponsers??? :smokin:

comp
01-23-2004, 06:39 AM
is this why you asked about 6 lugs in 'is it possible' post

RABarrett
01-23-2004, 08:33 AM
Some things to consider when upgrading brakes; one is that the front brakes typically do 80% of the braking. Therefore, what you do with the front will have a greater effect on braking than what you do to the rear. Typically, a good pad set is all well and good, but if the rotor cannot dissipate the added heat, you will only damage the pads. You might try some of the aftermarket packages available, that include pads and rotors, and possibly calipers. You might select from a trailer towing package, or a police package for the similar Chevy, I believe it is the Malibu. The Bonneville is also available in the police package; this may offer an alternative. Ray

digitalsaw
01-25-2004, 07:32 AM
I have owned buicks for the past 10 years. I personally have found that I have to turn the rotors much too often as compared to other vehicles of the same size and wieght. I had a friend of mine who had a LeSabre who was going through the same problem but because of his driving style (hard braking guy) he was turning rotors every 6-8 months...no kidding. What would happen is he would begin getting the jerky vibrating stops which means the rotors were warping.
One reason for this warping could be (I have never verified this) is when tire stores use thier torque wrenches set too high. Since these rotors are not a part of the hub (no bearings) they have less cast in them and can be warped if the bolts on the tire are cranked up too much.
What we did to solve his problems is he got heavy duty rotors for the front. They are thicker and he went almost two years before he had to have them looked at again.
Try that. Can't hurt.

Add your comment to this topic!