resetting oil change light-GMC Envoy

grwright
01-22-2004, 09:02 AM
How do I reset the oil change light in this vehicle?

GMMerlin
01-27-2004, 09:02 AM
GM Oil Life System - Resetting
This vehicle has an engine oil life monitor. The GM Oil Life Systemô will show when to change the engine oil and oil filter. This will usually occur between 5 000 km (3,000 mi) and 12 500 km (7,500 mi) since the last oil change. Under severe conditions, the indicator may come on before 5 000 km (3,000 mi).

Vehicle should not be driven more than 12 500 km (7,500 mi) or 12 months without an oil and oil filter change. The system will not detect dust in the oil. So if the vehicle is driven in a dusty area, be sure to change the oil and oil filter every 5 000 km (3,000 mi) or sooner if the CHANGE OIL SOON indicator comes on. Reset the system when the oil has been changed.

Resetting Procedure
Turn the ignition to ON without starting the engine.
Fully push and release the accelerator pedal slowly three times with-in five seconds.
If the CHANGE ENG OIL light flashes for five seconds, the system is reset. If the light does not flash, repeat the procedure.

Jincha
09-18-2008, 01:19 PM
Perfect, it worked. I have had the oil changed twice at local shop, and I guess they did not reset the sensor. Now would have that caused my "service engine soon" light to come on? :banghead:

rtobrian
09-18-2008, 02:09 PM
No, not resetting the oil change light has nothing to do with your Service Engine Soon light. If you have an Autozone nearby, they'll plug in a scanner and tell you whats setting the light off. Or if you're still under warranty then take it to the dealer.

maxwedge
09-18-2008, 02:45 PM
Gentlemen please look at the dates before posting, this is 4 years old now, thanks.

Add your comment to this topic!