Page updated on 03-20-2018

Highway miss

01-21-2004, 05:31 PM
I have a '95 Tacoma 2.7L 4x4 5 speed, with ADD with 90,000 miles. I have started to notice a small miss or surging at about 55MPH. I replaced the plugs and cap and rotor at about 60,000 miles. I have not replaced the fuel filter, mainly because it's under the intake manifold, I guess. The motor doesn't seem to be starving for fuel at high power. I looked at a plug, and it seemed normal with no eroding of electrodes. Any comments are appreciated.

01-24-2004, 07:09 AM
any miss can be traced to either an electrical problem or fuel problem. You seem to have covered the most likely electrical culprits, I would say change those fuel filters. There should be two-- one in-line between the fuel tank and motor, most likely on the inside of the frame rail, the second up on or near the motor. You could also have dirty injectors. A quality cleaner will help but probably won't fix the problem. Your truck probably misses all the time but it is more noticeable at high speed/low rpm because the miss is magnified through gear multiplication. Higher rpm even at high speed will minimize the perceived affects. I am not saying to drive faster, just trying to explain why you notice it most at 55.

02-01-2004, 11:38 AM
dont go 55...problem i have the same problem in my 87 4runner. its fuel related. i adjusted the timing a bit and put in new fuel filters...problem solved

02-02-2004, 07:04 AM
Thanks for the replies. I was told that the earlier Tacomas, which is where mine falls in the manufacturing run, had the fuel filter on the motor while on the later ones it was moved to the frame rail. Do you know if those filters were identical?

02-02-2004, 08:35 AM
i doubt they would be the same. you could call a toyota dealership and they wold give you the part number for each filter. if they are the same then lucky you

02-02-2004, 08:37 AM
wold=would....good luck highway miss

Add your comment to this topic!