Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Coolant Leak???? Help Please

93LaSabreH3
01-21-2004, 08:44 AM
Hello All,
I am new here and need your help. I have a 93 3.8L LaSabre and had a heating problem. I replaced the thermostat and flushed the system. Heat works great, however now I have a leak and need help finding it and fixing it. I can see the coolant drip behind the power steering pump. When I squeze one of the heater core hoses I hear a vacumm sound. It looks like the rubber heater hose connects to a metal hose, but then I lose sight of it. I think the leak is in the metal hose or maybe where it connects to the block? Anyone experience this before? What do you think is the cause of the leak? I have never worked on this engine before so I don't know my way around it yet. Sorry for the long post, just trying to give as much information as I can.
Thanks in advance for your help.

comp
01-22-2004, 12:39 PM
fine post we need info to help.. the metal fittings do go bad, but more
time's it's a loose clamp, or the END of the hose where you see the leak
you can get mechanic mirror's to help see around & behind things, got
one a CVS a dental mirror, any way you need to see the problem to be
sure :smokin: :smokin:

RABarrett
01-22-2004, 03:12 PM
Sometimes the only way to solve a coolant leak is to pressurize the system with a pressure tester, and get under the vehicle. Food for thought. Ray

pcv
01-23-2004, 08:21 AM
Ray is right. Do a pressure test on the cooling system to confirm the leak. From your discription, it is quite possible it is leakin from the Bypass Intake Fitting that is behind the alternator. The alternator will have to come out to gain axcess to it. The old one is a plastic and you got to chip at it till it is all clean. Be careful not to damage the threads. The new piece is metal. Let us know what you find out.
All the best.

93LaSabreH3
01-23-2004, 09:21 AM
Hello All,
I found the problem last night and fixed it. PCV was correct. It was the plastic fitting that connects the water pump to the intake manifold, hidden behind alternator. Broke in half. Water followed the path of least resistance and was only dripping off the metal pipe. After finding the problem, the hardest part was getting the threads out of the hole. Of coarse being 6 degress outside didn't help any either.
Thanks for your help.

Add your comment to this topic!