disappearing antifreeze

JustUs
01-20-2004, 03:25 PM
Hi there,
Just found your forum and i am hoping someone can help. I am having a problem with my antifreeze disappearing. There is no sign of a leak anywhere and no antifreeze on the driveway. My car (99 grand am) is going through almost a gallon of antifreeze a month tho. Any ideas???
Thanks!

Chameleon-kat
01-20-2004, 03:41 PM
If you have the 6 cylinder, my first guess would be intake manifold gasket

urweak
01-20-2004, 05:11 PM
i would have to second that. check your oil, do you have any in the oil?

goldenrod
01-21-2004, 10:35 PM
Does the car appear to smoke any?

JustUs
01-22-2004, 12:16 AM
Does the car appear to smoke any?
Hi,
Thanks for the replies. There is no antifreeze in the oil and the car doesn't smoke. Will have to follow up on the intake gasket.
Would this have anything to do with the car just cutting out every once in awhile? After driving for a while the car will just die. It restarts right away and seems ok. It does this maybe once a week. It is frustrating!!!

Hookus
03-06-2004, 01:57 PM
Hi,
The "disappearing antifreeze" problem that I have experienced occasionally in several different engines is that of Headgasket Seepage. Gm had several Technical Service Bulletins out on this subject. It seems that antifreeze will seep into combustion chambers from the waterjackets at a slow rate and be "burned" with combustion. It happens so slowly that it is not noticed in the exhaust - only at the antifreeze reservior as loss of fluid over time.
The solution in the TSB's and my personal experience as well is the use of cooling system tablets. They can be found at GM parts counters as well as Pep Boys. If you go to Pep boys, they can be found in the engine additives section. They are manufactured by Barsleak. They come in a blisterpack of five.
To add them to your cooling system, make sure that the engine is cold, remove the radiator or thermostat cap. the cap will have "Do Not Remove When Hot" printed on the top of it. If the antifreeze level is at the top of the cap neck, then pull some out so that you can add the cooling tabs and not have them drain of onto the ground. Next, with the tabs still in the unopened package, use a hammer to break them up and not lose the powder that they become from the package. Then, start the engine and allow it a few minutes to start warming up. When you seewater starting to flow in the waterneck pour the contents of the package in and put the cap back on. Make sure to rotate the cap to the same position that it was in before you took it off. Then, drive the car for at least thirty minutes to circulate the cooling tab "powder" to the source of the leak/seepage. Usually, this takes care of it. I know that the above instructions were overly simplified - please don't take offense. I figured that I'd just cover all of the bases.

Good Luck!

Add your comment to this topic!