Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

i'm new and i have questions

3.8style
01-20-2004, 01:20 PM
i have this 88 lesabre custom and i want to start driving it, but it needs work. and since it needs work anyway i want to customize it a little. my idea is to make this car a sleeper but first i want to replace the brakes (i want great stopping power). the problem is i don't know much about the process. somebody please help! :smile:

97CamaroSS
01-20-2004, 01:24 PM
First, stopping power doesn't all come from the brakes. you have to have a great wide tire to slow down first. then you can worry about drilled and slotted rotors. what do you want to know about the process? like how to?

3.8style
01-20-2004, 01:41 PM
yes i need to know how to do it. from beginning (tires, i guess) to end.

97CamaroSS
01-20-2004, 02:09 PM
Do you have your reading glasses on?

ok. a buick is a relativley standard GM car. you should know how to remove the tires and have new ones mounted. that's easy.

raise the front of the vehicle and place it securley on jackstands *important* you must place it on jackstands, not just a jack. i would invest in a decent pair for about 30 bucks. remove the tires. do this next part when you have a few hours and the new kit to be installed.

ok, to remove the front calipers.
1) remove the brake fluid reservoir cover
2) take a screwdriver and push the piston on the caliper inwards to relive pressure on the rotor.
3) use an allan wrench to remove the two caliper mounting bolts.
4) disconnect the brake line from the caliper and pull it off.
5) remove the wheel bearing dust cap.
6) starighten the ends of the cotter pin in the castle nut and take it out.
7) remove the spindle/castle nut and the washer.
8) pull on the hub to dislodge it, and remove the outer wheel bearing.
9) lift the hub assembly off.
10) now install your new shtuff, after wiping the spindle down and recoating it with grease. have fun.

Add your comment to this topic!