headlights not working

def3
01-20-2004, 12:41 AM
My mother has a 98 explorer sport. he headlights do not work. I checked the uses and they are good. I tryed to find a list of relays but only found the list for the ones that are under the hood. when I turn the light switch to park lights on they work. When I turn to the headlights nothing happens. I check the high beams and they only work when you pull the lever towards the steering wheel, which is the temp. If you put the high beam switch toward the front of the car nothing. I then check the bulbs, they are fine. I found a relay box under the dash at drives side on the right side near the radio. I check to see if the relays were labled, no luck. I played with the switch to turn the park lights on and off to see if I could hear a relay turning off and on. I found another set of relays at the back left panel were the tire iron is located. I check the box to see if these were labled, no such luck. I guess what I am looking for is a list of the relays for the car and were they can be found. if there is fuseable links that handle the curcit let me know. thank you for you help.

def3

speedindevil
01-22-2004, 03:44 PM
I would try the headlight switch before anything else

XLT03
01-22-2004, 11:35 PM
Had same problem on my 92. I replaced bulbs and that fixed problem. Try with known good bulbs or new ones. It's cheaper and easier than replacing headlight switch. If you get high beams it's the high beam element that's working...so no low beam it could be that the low beam elements are bad. It could also be the multifuctional switch (turn signal, high beam combo switch). Your problem would not likely be the fuses or your high beams won't work. Hope this helps.

alphasmooth
11-02-2004, 02:56 PM
My mother has a 98 explorer sport. he headlights do not work. I checked the uses and they are good. I tryed to find a list of relays but only found the list for the ones that are under the hood. when I turn the light switch to park lights on they work. When I turn to the headlights nothing happens. I check the high beams and they only work when you pull the lever towards the steering wheel, which is the temp. If you put the high beam switch toward the front of the car nothing. I then check the bulbs, they are fine. I found a relay box under the dash at drives side on the right side near the radio. I check to see if the relays were labled, no luck. I played with the switch to turn the park lights on and off to see if I could hear a relay turning off and on. I found another set of relays at the back left panel were the tire iron is located. I check the box to see if these were labled, no such luck. I guess what I am looking for is a list of the relays for the car and were they can be found. if there is fuseable links that handle the curcit let me know. thank you for you help.

def3

Have the exact same problem on my 97 explorer. How did you fix it?

becky locklin
11-03-2004, 01:02 PM

def3

I have the same problem with my 98 ford explorer. Did you find the fix? Please let us know.

alphasmooth
11-04-2004, 04:11 PM
Installed new multifunction switch problem solved.

gmedley14
01-31-2005, 12:59 PM
I have the same problem with my 98 ford explorer. Did you find the fix? Please let us know. please e-mail me at gwmedley@dcsmox.com if you fixed the problem. thanks so much!

B33p3r
01-31-2005, 09:01 PM
Do you have Auto lamps (come on by themselves when it gets dark?) or NO auto lamps. No auto lamps: Fuse panel to left of steering wheel, #4 fuse =left headlight and #8 fuse = Right head light. Power distribution box under hood is #12 fuse for both.
If you have autolamp there is a relay involved. If you have that let me know and I'll look it up.
The only other thing in the picture is your multi function switch and you headlight switch.
Assuming "No auto LamP", From power dist box fuse 12, there is a dark brown/ orange wire which runs to you headlight switch. With switch to headlight position, it passes 12 volts to a red/black wire which runs to your multi-function switch. Check for 12 volts on this wire with headlight switch on. If you do not have 12 volts here, then your headlight switch is bad. If you do have 12 volts here, check for 12 volts on fuses 4 & 8 of the I/P fuse box. You should have 12 volts on at least 1 side of each fuse. If you do not then your multi function switch is bad. If you do have 12 volts on one side check for voltage on other side of fuse to determine if fuse is good. If Ok problem is with wiring between fuse and headlight. I doubt you'll see any problems past the fuses since both headlights are failing to turn on and after the fuses they have there own wiring.

DJ Dale
10-30-2005, 09:22 AM
I have an interesting twist.....

I have high beams. I have a passenger side low beam. I do not have driver side low beam.

I replaced both bulbs with new ones.

Any suggestions?

Tommie Sane
12-03-2005, 12:37 AM
I had the same problem and ended up replacing the multi function switch for about 50 dollars. Everything works fine now. :evillol:

Add your comment to this topic!