Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

ford GT versus viper

del
01-19-2004, 09:54 AM
surprised i haven't seen this direct comparo here yet. i'm liking the new GT's a lot but for the price tag i think it should be able to beat a viper handily. but based on comparos in magazines, these two are quite closely matched, with the GT just barely edging out the viper in certain areas. now just waiting for chevy to bring out this new z06 that's supposed to be the "gt killer". but for now, it's just ford and dodge. what do you think?

Polygon
01-19-2004, 12:05 PM
Like you said, the GT barely edges the Viper out. The GT might be faster but that is all it has on the SRT-10. For the price the SRT-10 is the better car in my opinion. Also, I find it amusing that the SRT-10 is a convertible with an FR design and the GT is a monocock MR design yet it isn't that much faster. I can't wait for the Viper Competition Coupe to come out.

Mr Payne
01-19-2004, 02:45 PM
This won't be known until customer cars are delivered and the "true" capabilities are shown. Magazine tests have been misleading as of yet.

Mr Payne
01-19-2004, 02:47 PM
I can't wait for the Viper Competition Coupe to come out.

The Viper Competition Coupe is out...You mean the Viper Coupe?

Polygon
01-19-2004, 02:48 PM
The Viper Competition Coupe is out...You mean the Viper Coupe?

Nope.

Some people call it the Competition Coupe and some people call it the GTS-R. It is the next coupe version of the Viper.

YogsVR4
01-19-2004, 03:30 PM
They are in different price leagues. Of the two I'd take the GT because of exclusiveness, but on the track they'll be pretty damn close.

Never pay again for live sex! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=1) | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=3) | Chat for free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=5)

Jimster
01-19-2004, 04:49 PM
I'll take the Viper, numerous reasons.

Mr Payne
01-19-2004, 06:32 PM
Nope.

Some people call it the Competition Coupe and some people call it the GTS-R. It is the next coupe version of the Viper.

What do you mean the Competition Coupe isn't out? So when I went to Seca a few months ago I wasn't looking at the Competition Coupe? Owners are racing them already.

Neutrino
01-19-2004, 07:15 PM
i choose the viper

crayzayjay
01-20-2004, 04:20 AM
I'd choose the GT based on looks. Shallow, me? ;)

Polygon
01-20-2004, 12:59 PM
What do you mean the Competition Coupe isn't out? So when I went to Seca a few months ago I wasn't looking at the Competition Coupe? Owners are racing them already.

Oh, yeah!

I meant for sale to the public. :)

Mr Payne
01-20-2004, 03:18 PM
So you are talking about the Viper Coupe, eh?

ferrari_adidas5
01-23-2004, 08:41 PM
for close to the same price of the gt, you can get a hennessey srt-10 that will kill it

freakonaleash1187
01-23-2004, 10:12 PM
yes, even if the gt is faster, the viper will always be the better car cuz of its looks and its bang for the buck. the hennessey would kick the gt's ass hands down.

Kurtdg19
01-23-2004, 11:18 PM
IMO the GT has a better design for track performance vs. the Viper. I would hardly say that either these cars are a bang for a buck if your choosing performance, but thats just what I think. If you want bang, buy a Civic or a Mustang, don't buy a Viper or a GT hahaha. As far as looks go, its pretty much dead even (until the Viper comes out with the hardtop). I'm not the biggest fan of the convertible looks, but the Viper convertible is simply outstanding.

This is a tough choice to make. If I were to drive either car on a track, I would take the GT. If I wanted to cruise around town, Viper.

PS. I wouldn't spend 80k on a car and let Hennessey work on it. Just my simple thoughts on that.

freakonaleash1187
01-23-2004, 11:55 PM
i have heard you say that hennessey sucks before kurtdg19. i was just wondering why they suck so bad? i havent heard anything bad about them.

Saint
01-24-2004, 01:02 AM
Why does the Viper get the reputation that the Viper is a 1/4 mile car?

Even though it destroy the 1/4 stock, it still screams on the track also. Infact, the GT barely edges it out on the track, and I think the Viper has a better shalom speed.

Neutrino
01-24-2004, 01:15 AM
i have heard you say that hennessey sucks before kurtdg19. i was just wondering why they suck so bad? i havent heard anything bad about them.

because hennessy has cheated a lot of people of their money...big time

we had a lot of threads about this in the viper forums

Why does the Viper get the reputation that the Viper is a 1/4 mile car?

Even though it destroy the 1/4 stock, it still screams on the track also. Infact, the GT barely edges it out on the track, and I think the Viper has a better shalom speed.

i agree the viper is a pure track car...it just happens to be very fast in the 1/4...of course get it below 10's and it will lose most of its track capabilities

youngvr4
01-24-2004, 03:21 AM
ok the gt barely beats the viper on track so the Z06 is better than the gt on a track? wasn't this car designed to run the track more so than the 1/4? if it is true that the gt is only a little bit faster than the viper this mission i beleive was pointless.

Neutrino
01-24-2004, 03:53 AM
ok the gt barely beats the viper on track so the Z06 is better than the gt on a track? wasn't this car designed to run the track more so than the 1/4? if it is true that the gt is only a little bit faster than the viper this mission i beleive was pointless.

ummm...the ZO6 is not faster than a viper on a track

TatII
01-24-2004, 08:52 AM
the current Z06 is actually no where near as fast as the current viper at the track.

freakonaleash1187
01-24-2004, 11:03 AM
imo i dont even think that the corvette can compete with the viper. dont get me wrong, i like corvettes but it just cant compete with a viper.

*EDIT* there is way way too many corvettes on the road, at least here where i live.

Kurtdg19
01-24-2004, 07:54 PM

Ive never said that hennessey sucks. I would just never let him work on any car of mine. Reputation is very important in that type of business. Just the other day (trailing off...) I was at Pepboys and an employee tried to tell me that I needed a spring compressor to replaces the struts on a 3rd gen firebird, I also got the same reply from one of the service guys that work there...needless to say, I now think there all idiots that work there.

This is an example. In my eyes their reputation has now gone down hill.

I find that funny cause when I told this to a friend, he also added that he saw a cars engine litterally on fire in their service bay, and the owner came rushing in (screaming on the top of his lung) wha the F**k are you guys doing, your all a bunch of idiots.....ok, i'll stop with storytime until I get carried away furthermore.

TatII
01-25-2004, 12:44 AM
hahaha what da fuck is a engine fire doin in a dealer? that would be the last place i would expect to see that. hahahah

Kurtdg19
01-25-2004, 11:28 AM
hahaha what da fuck is a engine fire doin in a dealer? that would be the last place i would expect to see that. hahahah

He wasn't sure why the car was on fire, but he does clearly remember that day LOL. It wasn't at the dealership though, it was at a Pepboys if that really makes much of a difference. So for future reference, I do as much work I can on my car over letting a bunch of idiots catch things on fire. If you ask me, lots of service areas are screwy. If you don't know what your doing yourself, they'll try to sell you the service and rip you off. To bad I'm not one of those regular joes coming in and looking for parts. Its always better if you actually know some of the people that work there and trust them.

syr74
01-25-2004, 06:28 PM
Young VR4

The Viper and the Ford GT have yet to be compared on any road course anywhere, by anybody. Only thing we have so far is simple slalom and skidpad numbers...on pre production GT's. We might want to reserve opinion on who wins and by how much until they actually race.

youngvr4
01-26-2004, 07:22 AM
Young VR4

The Viper and the Ford GT have yet to be compared on any road course anywhere, by anybody. Only thing we have so far is simple slalom and skidpad numbers...on pre production GT's. We might want to reserve opinion on who wins and by how much until they actually race.

understood, so everyones basically giving there thoughts from what they feel and more less what the times actually say, cause there are no specific times for the gt yet exept they say it runs 11.8 in the 1/4, is that correct?

oh and to speak on the Z06 thing, i read that in an article by someone who sounded like they built the Z06 themselves, and since everyone speaks on how bad the handling was on the first viper and questionable on the new viper i believed what i read, my mistake.

Lamborsari_Merbini
01-27-2004, 09:43 PM
where im from the gt would be more of a head turner but even if price werent an issue i would still pick the viper just because... its a viper. plus if you racked up the mods on a viper so that it costs the same as a gt40 you'd get complaints from NASA(im exagurating so dont quote me and say that im stupid or something like that lol)

broddie50
01-28-2004, 12:43 AM
well, if i had 1/4 mill lying around, i'd take both! i'ts great that the new gt actually looks like the old legend its named after (wtf up with the gto?!). the viper is just all-american firepower and the more cresed look has grown on me. hats off to both.

freakonaleash1187
01-28-2004, 10:19 PM
thats one thing that i dont like about the gt. it is based off of the gt40 right, and the gt40 has a british body, so imo its not a true american car.

v10_viper
01-28-2004, 10:51 PM
Found this a few days ago... http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/112_0401_vipandgt/

It basically says that they're both so damn close on the track it's weird, I truly expect the Coupe form of the Viper to be just that little bit faster...I'd no doubt take the Viper but when the C6 Z06 and coupe Viper are out, I know every damn magazine is gonna be puttin these three to the test, i just hope Motor Trend hires Justin Bell again to drive them instead of their own needle-dicked editors(no offense) but I think the editors are just so biased the purposely let certain cars win. But whys it matter, these three cars are going to be so close to each other in performance. I just dont like Ford's approach of "Hey lets supercharge it!!", it's getting old, that's my reason for hating the GT, they should dropped a gadamn EFI 460 in there...now THAT would get me goin. I do personally think the 0-60 times are a little false. Look at the Lambo Murci..better power/weight ratio, AWD, and about the same weight distribution...but if the GT truly is that fast then that's great it's about time America starts kickin ass against Ferrari, Porsche and Lamborghini, in my eyes those are the guys to beat. But the whole thing about the Gt supposedly being put up against the 360, purebullshit i think...look at it's specs with the Viper, damn near the same. only another 2-4 years to wait for that Z06 and Viper coupe...damn i'm pumped :biggrin:

Kurtdg19
01-29-2004, 01:53 AM
Found this a few days ago... http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/112_0401_vipandgt/

It basically says that they're both so damn close on the track it's weird, I truly expect the Coupe form of the Viper to be just that little bit faster...I'd no doubt take the Viper but when the C6 Z06 and coupe Viper are out, I know every damn magazine is gonna be puttin these three to the test, i just hope Motor Trend hires Justin Bell again to drive them instead of their own needle-dicked editors(no offense) but I think the editors are just so biased the purposely let certain cars win. But whys it matter, these three cars are going to be so close to each other in performance. I just dont like Ford's approach of "Hey lets supercharge it!!", it's getting old, that's my reason for hating the GT, they should dropped a gadamn EFI 460 in there...now THAT would get me goin. I do personally think the 0-60 times are a little false. Look at the Lambo Murci..better power/weight ratio, AWD, and about the same weight distribution...but if the GT truly is that fast then that's great it's about time America starts kickin ass against Ferrari, Porsche and Lamborghini, in my eyes those are the guys to beat. But the whole thing about the Gt supposedly being put up against the 360, purebullshit i think...look at it's specs with the Viper, damn near the same. only another 2-4 years to wait for that Z06 and Viper coupe...damn i'm pumped :biggrin:

If you don't like the supercharged GT, the concept Cobra has a 6.4L n/a V10 pushing 605hp. If you ask me, hp is hp, reguardless whether it be force induced or not. And about the GT being put up against the 360, I think its bullshit to. From what I've read...its far better.

freakonaleash1187
01-29-2004, 06:47 AM
nobody get started with the gt against the 360. there was already a thread about that and people were starting flame wars. and we really dont want that again.

the v-10 mustang isnt a concept, its a one-off deal some people at ford felt like doing. its either in motor trend or road and track (i have too many issues around i cant find it). so we cant compare the v-10 mustang, its not production.

GTStang
01-29-2004, 08:38 AM
Just as a note thier is two V-10's that Ford has been playing with.

#1 Is the N/A 6.4L V-10 605HP that was made for the Shelby Cobra concept that Ford is seriously considering building.

#2 Is the N/A V-10 5.8(351) V-10 that makes 500+hp at the flywheel. That's the one in that one off Mustang.

The second engine is one that interests me cause of it's possibilities. This engine was done by the guys of Ford's EMDO without any permission from Ford. Because of this it was done secretely, discretely, and cheaply. So the motor is based off of extra parts the guys had lieing around and done in thier free time for fun. This motor is basically an aluminium Ford 4.6 Mustang engine with two extra cylinders grafted on to make a V-10 351. 00' Cobra R 4V heads extended for the extra cylinder on each side. 2/2000 Cobra R intakes cut and modified to make one. 03 Cobra rods, 00 Cobra R Pistons, custom billet crank. 00' Cobra R camshafts with extra lobes, 2 stock Ford 6.8 truck MAF and computers for engine control. The best part of all..... it fits into the current mustang chassis quite easily.

Now although I seriously doubt you will see this engine in Mustangs any time soon. First if your a Ford fan you have to be proud of the type of guys working for them who do this on thier own spare time and w/o permission. Second it was made so cheaply and by some many left over parts the R&D for these motors would be dirt cheap. I got a feeling you might see a similiar incarnation of this motor in the next Cobra R.

Kurtdg19
01-30-2004, 12:49 AM
nobody get started with the gt against the 360. there was already a thread about that and people were starting flame wars. and we really dont want that again.

the v-10 mustang isnt a concept, its a one-off deal some people at ford felt like doing. its either in motor trend or road and track (i have too many issues around i cant find it). so we cant compare the v-10 mustang, its not production.

If you would like for me to clarify anything just let me know. I'm not comparing a v-10 ford built engine so I don't know where you pulling this statement from. If you would like for me to clarify anything just let me know. I hope your not implying that I'm trying to start a flame war. If you would like for me to claify anything just let me know. If you cannot correctly interpret my replies, don't try, you seem to have a lot of problems in doing so. And, if you would like for me to claify anything just let me know.

freakonaleash1187
01-30-2004, 06:50 AM
i wasnt aiming at kurtdg19 when i said dont start comparing the gt and the 360. there was a few people bringing up the 360 and i was thinking that might of made a flame war like it has done before.

sorry about the mustang, but when somebody brings up a car, it usually means that he is comparing it to the other cars. just all a misunderstanding.

Add your comment to this topic!