Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

406 2.0 sri turbo speedo fault

nick james
01-19-2004, 07:06 AM
anyone come accross the speedo intermitantly not working, more off than on. there are no fault codes in the ecu. i've just had the sun ecu reader on it and it shows no car speed. i'm hoping its the sensor.

rattyC
11-02-2004, 03:57 AM
Mate got the same prob on my 406 turbo. Did you manage to sort out the problem if so you couldnt let me know

terrythc
06-01-2005, 10:38 AM
I have a 97 406 SV Turbo and has the same speedo problem. Can anyone help?

terrythc
06-11-2005, 11:22 AM
I have a 97 406 SV Turbo and has the same speedo problem. Can anyone help?
I had the sensor changed but didn't help. There is no ECU behind the glove compartment. There is no fault code and there is no speed reading from the diagnostic reader. It seems not the speedo and it should be the cable or the BOSCH 2.3 unit next to the engine (right hand side). Can anyone come across the same problem? And how did you fix it?

Niz406
09-03-2005, 01:03 PM
Guys I had the exact same problem, and it costs £22 GBP to fix, the Speedometer is made up of about 4 components, the Speedometer Transducer which is the white sensor on the gearbox, The Speedometer dial, the Speed Sensor and also the Speedometer Control box.

I know there is a more technical name for it but I cant remember it, its a black box located under the glovebox there are about 4 of em under there, you want the one with the white shroud around the plug this is the speedo control box, this is a common fault with the 406 executive / SRi / Sri Turbo variants.

Its simply plug in and go, the box will fix the problem, a batch went out faulty and they were never recalled ! ! so it just annoyed buyers of these models. Let me know if you need any other help....

fmsam
11-12-2005, 03:10 AM
yep the ecu in the passenger footwell is for the variable power steering vehicles fitted with variable pas need vehicle speed in order to work this is where the signal is lost (on its way to the instrument cluster)

terrythc
11-12-2005, 07:35 PM
The one I got is a black box with brown head and it costs 38.26 pounds. The part number and description is P00001929, 03CF01 004412/BOX. I tested the one with white cover but it is for power steering. My speedo works without any problem now. Thank you for all of you.

Add your comment to this topic!