Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Is it worth restoring?

Oldengineer
01-18-2004, 09:13 PM
a couple of years ago I picked up a 1983 S-10 2wd Tahoe long bed. The truck is loaded for its day - has 4 speed automatic, cruise, tilt wheel, AC, delay wipers, power windows, and a courtesy lamps. It has the HB chassis and the build sheet I found indicates its equipped with a 1500 pound overload package. Its equipped with the 2.8 V6 and a Leer topper. My question - is this thing rare for an S-10, and, worth putting some money in to restore it?? I've never owned a truck before, and, picked this one up for $400 because the owner thought it was on its last legs. I did some wrenching and body work on it and been driving it ever since. Any info on this truck would be appreciated.

Regards:
Oldengineer

mjohn
01-19-2004, 09:48 PM
sounds like you are enjoying it...and it is keeping you out of touble....what else is there...I like the older rigs at least you can work on them...and the parts are at every salvage yard from here to there...Keep looking up...

mjohn
01-19-2004, 09:49 PM
what kind of gas milage do you get with the 2.8?
seems people either love the 2.8 or hate them...

Oldengineer
01-19-2004, 10:07 PM
Mjohn:

Have taken the truck on several 400 mile trips. Running 70 on the interstate and lightly loaded she gets a solid 19 miles to the gallon. Of course, at 4100 pounds, accleration is pretty lame. At every little hill, she downsifts to 3rd and the deuce opens up. Biggest problem with this engine is getting that horrible Varijet carb to work right, and, keeping up with vacuum leaks. This thing has lots of tubing. The engine is dead stock and all there except that it's now minus its cat. convertor. The biggest problem I've had with this truck is oil pressure - I have to run 20W-50 in the summer and 10W - 40 winter. As such the engine stays at about 40 psi while cruising. I've heard that this is common on the 2.8. At least at 136000 miles she's still going strong.

Regards:
Oldengineer

Fox_Rocks
01-20-2004, 12:39 PM
I personally think you should just drive it, it's not a collectors item by any means....the only money i would put into it is just to keep it going, don't go wild on it...you'll have so much money into it you could have bought a newer first generation S-10 with a 4.3L. My pick-up gets a solid 20 or 21 m/g and it's got the 4.3 in it, running 3:42 gears and 4x4 to boot. Usually the bigger motor gets better fuel mileage....doesn't have to work as hard. Anyway that is my 2 cents.

Oldengineer
01-22-2004, 10:36 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I'll just drive this Walmart Parking lot warrior until she needs repairs too expensive to justify doing.

Regards:
Oldengineer

Add your comment to this topic!