Should I buy a Z3?

Sevren
01-18-2004, 09:49 AM
In the next month or two, I'm getting a new car. I've been thinking about what car I wanted, and I've been looking BMW 3 and 5 Series cars as well as the Z3(As well as a 95-99 Eclipse, 300zx, etc etc). Passenger space isnt a neccesity. My girlfriend is 5'4 and I'm 6'3. I only need to be able to tote the two of us around.

At the end of the search I decided I wanted a Z3, but now I hear about the lemons.

Speed is nice, but as long as I can accelerate decently I don't need 350 hp. But, what I am worried about is all these people telling me Z3's are lemon cars and all these websites.

Can anyone give me any info for/against, and any suggestions?

lowridder11
01-18-2004, 10:56 PM
depending on if u get the 1.9, 2.3, 2.8, or 3L engine ur acceleration will be fine, i have a 2.3L Z3 and since the gear settings r low u can sprint from 0-60 in like 6sec(not exact) i was able to keep up with a 540 on some back roads with it but it isn't a top speed car(top speed 125mph thanks to the E.C.U)

Sevren
01-18-2004, 11:09 PM
I'm asking more about how the car acts.

Like, will the engine last for a few years? Will my airbag hit me in the face cause i hit a speedbump? Will my radio stop working cause i breathe on it? Will my blinkers not work cause i get mud on them? :-P

Stuff like that.

lowridder11
01-18-2004, 11:46 PM
my Z3 has been really good, nothing has broken and mine has 70K miles on it and i drove it as a commuter car for 3 years into the city, it has a Harmon Kardon sound system that is really nice but if u put the top down in say september or october and like to keep it down buy a wind net that goes in the back, it is a grwat car to own

njjk
02-01-2004, 08:16 AM
I have a 1998 Z3 1.9. It is a great cars. Ever car has a draw back, no matter who makes it. Someone mentioned the top leaking, that can be prevented with maintaince, so can the top pulling away from the window. These are all minor thing in my opion. These aren't muscle 1/4 mile cars, I love to drive mine for the handeling and the open air. This was the best car I ever baught, I am hooked. They should last very long if maintained. Best of luck.
NJJK

Honestmechanics?
04-13-2004, 12:55 PM
I'm getting rid of my 88 VW Cabriolet soon. Wanna get another convertible. Looking at Z3 or SLK. I want a 2.8. Tell me how good or bad the lesser engines are ie 2.3/1.9. Would U rather have an SLK?

Menu dei Motori
04-16-2004, 10:34 AM
i always smile when i read about the z3 2.3 cause we in germany have the 2.2 :D

do you have some facts about the 2.3 engine?

if you buy one you should go for the 6 cylinders cause of that lovely sound :-) and the engine smothness

Viper66
04-26-2004, 02:51 AM
Z3 is a "sexy" car.

Dragoro
06-26-2004, 08:02 PM
I have a 97 z3 with over 90k miles on it, and no major probs what so ever. Its a 1.8liter 4 cyclinder. Biggest prob Ive had with it, is that the radio started to get whacky and not get fm stations, but thats just happened recently. I just replaced the radio since I needed a cd player anyways.

360spider
06-28-2004, 04:51 PM
Z3 are great cars. If you change oil in your engine and do basic maintenance, they will run for 200K without any problems. I have a 2.3 and this is actually 2.5 liter engine, very torquey, and with beautiful sound. Electronics is sometimes glitchy, but nothing serious. If you get the car, find a good independent BMW shop in your area, and they will fix most of the small problems for free, or at least much cheaper than dealer.

Once everything is sorted out, they don't break -and nothing beats a wind trough your hair on a sunny day.

Add your comment to this topic!