Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1991 Regal GS 3800 Won't Start

TheStash
01-17-2004, 11:29 PM
Hi all,
Just wanted to post this in case anybody else might have this problem. My Regal has 207K miles on it. It still runs like a champ. I call it old reliable. It's NEVER let me down. However, a few weeks ago I went out to start it and it cranked over and over real strong but just wouldn’t start. It ALWAYS fires up on the first rotation.
I broke out the shop manual. Found a code 42. Electronic Spark Circuit (or close to that). I followed the diagnostic tests with nothing but my digital multi meter, wire jumper and test light. The diagnostic tests I followed narrowed it down the Ignition Module. It’s mounted under the three coils onto a flat metal plate with 14 or so wires plugged into it -- real easy to remove. I got a price at the local auto parts store for $150 but I had a hunch. The flat metal plate was a bit corroded looking so I cleaned it with some sandpaper and wire brush. Did the same to the Ignition module. Screwed it all back together and vroom she started right back up!
Man am I happy!!
Tony
PS: I learned a lot about how complex this 3.8 really is. 3 sensors (2 on the crank shaft and 1 on the cam) just for timing!

Add your comment to this topic!