Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

So I went to Ikea

jinushaun
01-17-2004, 02:31 PM
Got me some hooks and a shoe bench.

Before:
http://students.washington.edu/leprakon/dtm-af/wall01.jpg

After:
http://students.washington.edu/leprakon/dtm-af/wall02.jpg
http://students.washington.edu/leprakon/dtm-af/wall03.jpg

:cool:

Now my various hats and helmets have a proper home.

eversio11
01-17-2004, 03:07 PM
You went to Ikea just to get some hooks and a little shoe bench?? :screwy:

:p

CivicLx
01-17-2004, 03:14 PM
Hey that's pretty cool. I've seen an Ikea but never been in one before. Hey are those helmets for bikes? I thought they might be for mountain climbing at first...

jinushaun
01-17-2004, 03:56 PM
You went to Ikea just to get some hooks and a little shoe bench?? :screwy:

:p
Ikea = accessories

You don't buy large furniture there. :o

jinushaun
01-17-2004, 03:58 PM
Hey that's pretty cool. I've seen an Ikea but never been in one before. Hey are those helmets for bikes? I thought they might be for mountain climbing at first...
Black = Snowboarding helmet. There are goggles attached to it.
White = Climbing helmet. There is a headlamp attached to it.

SilverLotus340R
01-17-2004, 04:04 PM
Ikea = accessories

You don't buy large furniture there. :o

really? the one i went to outside of ottawa had furniture too..like beds and closets and all that stuff...maybe that was just that store tho
awesome store tho...wish i woulda bought a cd rack

slave
01-17-2004, 04:19 PM
Yeah, I've lined up a black leather lounge, a tv cabinet, and a leather single seat recliner from ikea already....

oldbluecelica
01-17-2004, 05:10 PM
looks good

eversio11
01-17-2004, 05:14 PM
Yeah, I bought my nightstand and entertainment center from Ikea. Granted, they do sell accesories as well.

Oz
01-17-2004, 07:10 PM
Pfft. Snowboarding helmet. Not like there's that much to protect. :p

quarter_mile
01-17-2004, 07:15 PM
whoah sweet, ive got that exact same shoe bench.
boo-yeah!!

heina21
01-17-2004, 07:59 PM
i need to move up north.... all we have are bathing suit & towel holders

jcz1987
01-17-2004, 08:00 PM
Looks more organized.

MagicRat
01-17-2004, 10:40 PM
Ikea has some good accessories. I have some Ikea cutlery and a clock. But their furniture is horrible. Cheap austere soulless usually ugly crap thats only good as a novelty item and not intended to last. When you get tired of it, throw it away and get the lastest novelty item.

Ikea is Swedish for crap.

Now, if you will excuse me, I had too many cabbage rolls for lunch and I have to go and take an Ikea now........

slave
01-17-2004, 10:44 PM
SO thats why my parents lounge and a few other items are stil lasting after a good few years of use......

Ikea is like ANY store, there are good items and bad, and I can guarantee my family hasn't bought ugly items either...

MagicRat
01-17-2004, 11:05 PM
Actually, my comment was based on Ikeas own marketing program.
They freely admit they are trying to change furniture purchase behaviour.
Most people have a traditional furniture buying pattern, where furniture is viewed as being permanent. You buy it once and keep it a long time.

Ikea is trying to get people to view furniture as fun and interesting....and temporary. Keep it for just a while and throw it out when sometimg more fun comes along even if there is nothing wrong with it.
Look at Ikeas advertisements, they encourage this behaviour.
I object to this wasteful attitude that Ikea is promoting. Society is using resources too rapidly as it is, we do not need to promote more waste.

Good stores around here just have GOOD stuff. Any store that mixes the good and the bad does not get my business.

slave
01-17-2004, 11:07 PM
But then there are people who will say "If you like everything in the store you have poor taste and or no sense of personal style"

MagicRat
01-17-2004, 11:25 PM
I can't believe I am arguing the merits of Ikea in AF.

Anyways, there is a distinction between liking products on their aesthetic merits and liking poor quality products.

Taste is personal and I do not judge Ikea based on aesthetics.

I judge them on quality of materials, construction and function.
Some Ikea stuff is crap because it fails miserably in all three areas.
Much of this is because of Ikeas constraints for shipping. Most items must be made in a 'knock down; form where it can be packaged in a compact form and easily assembled.
Also, Ikea stuff must meet certain price points, (not too expensive) so quality suffers, especially in their less expensive lines.

I am in the furniture business, so I pay close attention to such things.

slave
01-17-2004, 11:29 PM
Good for you, so can I say my brother is in the design business along with others and so would know more deeply about it than you and also agress that some Ikea objects are fine??

MagicRat
01-17-2004, 11:48 PM
Sure, some Ikea stuff looks great, from an aesthetic point of view.
They make those leather and wood recliners that are swell.

Personally, Ikea stuff looks best when it is combined with more traditional furniture in an aesthetically pleasing way, as the sleek austerity of the Ikea furniture is blends in well with other items that may be more ornate.

However, a house furnished completely in Ikea would just look a bit too stark and spare, a bit like a Formica prison.

But, that is just a personal opinion.

Oz
01-18-2004, 12:02 AM
I think Ikea make great smaller household items. Mugs, cutlery, plates, cups etc, but I haven't looked closely at their larger items because I don't own my own furniture yet.

Magicrat - as you are in the industry, if you have time and inclination - would you mind telling us what you see as shortcomings in Ikea, and also what particular areas to look at when assessing furniture at Ikea or elsewhere. I am certain many members of this board would find it extremely useful. :)

HogieGT-R
01-18-2004, 12:53 AM
i just say that Ikea has nothing on my seat..i got it from a 96 chevy cavalier from my friend's auto shop class.....reclines and has the ability to slide back and forth...ghetto as hell to see a car seat in my room, but it's the best to play video games and to watch tv in....so comfortable:biggrin:

asterox
01-18-2004, 01:31 AM
what he need is a gay interior decorator to regulate this pronto

Add your comment to this topic!