Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

engine problems

mikemhp
01-16-2004, 10:24 PM
hello...
'97 f-250 5.4L triton, 79k miles...

check engine light came on 3 weeks ago. i took the truck to mechanic friend of mine who has the computer diag. sensor thingy.

codes that came up:P0133; P1131; P1000...
O2 sensor indicating lean, and ckt slow res. (upstream).
p1000 sy. incomplete... (?)

i have done the following: changed all the plugs, fuel filter, and 2 front O2 sensors.

the problem persists. at low to mid rpm's, the engine runs like its at half power (sputters a little like its miss-firing or something.) shifting to neutral bumps up the rpms to about 1k, and idles better than when stopped and in drive. poor acceleration from stop, sometimes shaking from the engine/front of the truck. (mild).

at higher rpms, seems to run smoother until i floor it a little (passing or accellerating on freeway) then mild sputtering again. ALSO- when the sputtering occurs, i can hear mild clicking from the radio when on AM....

I'M GETTING BAFFELED!!!!
anyone have suggestions on what else might be going on?????
thanks for any help...

MustangRoadRacer
01-17-2004, 02:56 AM
sounds like an ignition problem.
especially considering the comment you made about the radio.

The Dude
01-18-2004, 01:18 AM
My friend had a 4.6l that had that same problem. We totally dissambled the heads and found that one of the valves wasnt closing because the damn rocker arm lash adjuster wasnt working right. Man that really sucked badddd.

MagicRat
01-18-2004, 09:45 PM
Try a better diagnosis technician. The scan tool just gives you the computers best programmed guess about the problem, but not a definitive answer.

Add your comment to this topic!