Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 Isuzu Rodeo 2.2L Sludged Engine

bmwtxm0
01-16-2004, 08:12 PM
I recently bought a 98 Rodeo S with a 2.2 engine. The oil light will flash at highway speeds when the enigne is warmed up. A mechanic at Isuzu told me the engine is sludged from lack of oil changes. He quoted me a rediculous figure to de-sludge the engine. My questions: What is a good cleaner to use? AND: Does anyone know what needs to be done to clean out the oil intake screen? I think this is a procedure a shade-tree mechanic could do, but I have no experience with Isuzu. I usually change my own oil at 2500 - 3000 miles with a good quality synthetic oil.... :banghead:

rodeo02
01-16-2004, 08:56 PM
A product that I use & have good results with is @ www.lubecontrol.com Pretty good value at about $30/gallon shipped to your door. Another product that many swear by is @ www.auto-rx.com One of the best sites I've found for oil info/concerns/issues is www.bobistheoilguy.com To clean your oil pump pickup screen, you will have to pull the oil pan. This should not be too bad of a job on a 2wd, 2.2L rodeo. I would definately inspect that screen!! Make sure you change the timing belt every 50Kmi on that 2.2 as well!
G/luck
Joel

2001IsuzuRodeo2.2L
01-30-2012, 04:16 PM
Ahhh .... welcome to the World of the Isuzu 2.2L

I have a 2001 Rodeo 2.2L .... and ive been ALL OVER these threads. Below I'll tell you all I've done lately (I went from having never done ANYTHING on a car... to becoming somewhat my own shadetree mechanic through parts on eBay and help on this forum).

If I may recommend... get some SEAFOAM. That stuff worked WONDERS for me.

$10 at WallyWorld (walmart) .... 1/4 bottle in the gas tank. 1/4 bottle in the crankcase (a couple days before oil change) and 1/2 bottle run through the PCV valve.

That stuff made an INSTANT improvement in the way my car runs... and even cleared an obd code or two. (O2 sensor no longer comes up in obd codes, and car runs MUCH smoother at idle and while driving).

As of now... I had to deal with 8 obd codes. I got rid of all of em but one by doing the following:

spark plugs
spark plug wires
valve cover gasket
camshaft position sensor
fuel sending unit (dropping the fuel tank was ALL KINDS of fun)
air filter
fuel filter
alternator

and now I have codes P0301 and P0128 still showing

Ordered a coil pack from eBay ($30) hoping that will help or eliminate P0301 (misfire cylinder 1)

Ordered a new thermostat hoping that will help or eliminate P0128

Back to your question though... SEAFOAM. SEAFOAM. SEAFOAM.

Cat Fuzz
01-30-2012, 09:28 PM
Ok, 8 year old thread, but here is my opinion anyway. If the engine is significantly sludged, no amount of any chemical is going to help. Time to replace the engine. You'll never get the gunk out and you will probably seize the engine by loosening up all the crud at once.

Add your comment to this topic!