Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Car won't move in reverse?

3rdGteg
01-16-2004, 08:09 PM
It's a 1993 Mazda Mpv Van. This morning, everything worked fine....until I let the car idle for like 20 minutes long. I come out to back up the vehicle but it didn't move.

I threw it in REVERSE (automatic transmission btw), but it didn't move; just revs up like it's in NEUTRAL. Neutral does the same thing, cuz it's neutral and all the forward gears work (like D, 2, 1).

So the car would drive forward, but reverse acts like neutral. Any ideas? Any help is appreciated.

Transmission Fluid is full btw. And the "Leveler" light flashes??

98SR5
05-12-2004, 06:17 PM
Hello,
I have a 95MPV and I had the same problem. Transmission shops wanted $1,300 for rebuilding the original. I replaced the transmission with a rebuild at $600.00 and installed a Transmission Cooler. The problem was the original transmission was not being cooled enough to the point that the reverse was burnt out.

I hope this helps. :smile:

91SoCalMPV
05-27-2004, 05:46 AM
My '91 MPV with 121,000 has been running great! But with no warning signs my transmission gave way right in the middle of 5 o'clock traffic here in Southern California yesterday. But ALL I was able to do (after getting over to the side) was go in reverse!

A tranny shop confirmed its demise this afternoon -- apparently a piece inside the tranny broke off and cause a ripple effect of damages inside the transmission. It goes to show you that taking proper care of your automobile (oil changes every 3K, filters, spark plugs, fluid level checks, belts, and even preventive measures like a new timing belt before its time, etc.) still leaves you vulnerable to unknowns not in your control.

Quoted me $1800 to $2100 for a rebuilt -- I'm "sleeping on it" (or will be soon)!

Merc51
05-13-2005, 11:50 AM
heres one for you.
I have gone through 4 electronic transmissions in my 1990 mpv in the last five months.
original one 155000 miles. highway speed 65 PMH, loud noise rpms jump up, lost reverse, OD, and possibly 3rd gear. Still drivable, cannot be pushed/moved backwards in any gear.

next one. 220 miles - pump went - ignore this one

3rd one 750 miles -failed same as first except van could pe pushed backwards. failed on same highway same speed ~65 -70 MPH.

4th one (used1993) after 100 miles (yesterday)(this was a really good tranny) failed same as first.... exactly the same. On the same road, same area as the 3rd one. unbelievable.

Is there a computer failure that can cause such damage to the tranny?
ie holding a solonoid in the wrong spot to cause the failure?

I have to find out what the problem could be before I have the tranny changed again.
Has anyone had the same type of failure and found the cause ?

itsme000
05-20-2005, 08:13 AM
I bought a '93 Mazda MPV w/ 103K miles on it and had to get the transmission replaced at 106K. I believe the automatic transmission has been the troublespot on Mazdas for years.

Add your comment to this topic!