Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Experienced 944 owners, please read!

JumpJet19
01-16-2004, 12:35 PM
I am a new member here, mainly because I need help. I recently bought a 1984 Porsche 944 from my dad. He's owned it about 2 years, 1 in Wisconsin, and the other in Florida. I returned from overseas and visited my parents in Florida. During this time I drove my new car. Beautiful. Showroom condition, 50k actual miles. Temps were in the 80s while there. Time came for me to drive back to WI. About north Alabama the car started to act up. It would buck periodically, then it would be fine. I thought maybe some water in the fuel. As my trip progressed, the bucking became more consistent and worse. I went through 2 tanks of gas and four bottles of HEET water remover. Nothing. I'm now home and on the 4th tank of gas. I ended up having it towed from IL to WI. Two different mechanics have looked at it. Different opinions. When I drive it, it feels like a cylinder is missing. Yet, it has no rythm. It'll do it when it feels like it. One mechanic said the crank angle sensor(whatever that is) may be bad. The other said the cap, rotor, and wires need to be replaced. There is no smell, no smoke, nothing but the bucking. The timing belt does need to be replaced, but that's another issue. Please help me out on this subject. The mechanics are trying to rip me off, yet they can't give me a straight answer on what's wrong!
Thank you!
Jimmy
<><

YeTi
01-19-2004, 11:38 PM
geese man!
i don't know what to tell you...
hmmm... you could check the distributor cap. it is easy to take off (push and turn two philips head screws one quarter of a full turn. they are on the top and bottom of the distributor. the cap should be able to slide off.)

schip43
02-02-2004, 02:59 PM
Get A Haynes Manuel (I know they suck) and start with the basics. It sounds like it's a fuel or vacuum leak problem. You could use carb cleaner and just spray around the vacuum hoses to find a leak (RPM will pick up) and use a measuring cup to check the flow from the fuel pump.
Try WWW.clarksgarage.com for more help
Sam

slevy951
02-03-2004, 01:20 PM
My vote is for plug wires. They get old and the insulation will crack over time. This will allow them to arc to the nearest ground being the cam tower or intake. Start the car and let it idle with the hood open. Then turn out the lights in the garage(be sure to vent the exhaust). Alot of times, you can see it arcing.....

Tanreall
02-08-2004, 11:55 PM
I had this same problem and I redid the whole ignition sysytem, put in a new fuel filter, and new plugs. It turned out to be the brain. So I bought a new one and it ran great.

JumpJet19
02-16-2004, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the help, guys! So far I've replaced the cap, rotor, wires, and will soon be doing the timing belt because it needs it. Haven't driven it since the electrical repairs, but hopeing for the best!
Jimmy
<><

Add your comment to this topic!