Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

brake upgrade ???

adidas_boi
01-15-2004, 10:49 PM
i'm planning to get cross drilled and slotted rotors on all four. can i use the oem calipers? i've heard there's going to be a bleeding problem of some sort with this. how can i prevent this? any other suggestions?

thank you for any suggestions.

whtteg
01-15-2004, 11:18 PM
Yes you can use the oem calipers you just have to bleed the system after installing the rotors and new pads. This applies anytime you take the caliper off of the steering knuckle (where it is fastened).

sameintheend01
01-16-2004, 01:55 AM
whtteg, i read/heard that you DO NOT have to bleed the brakes when installing calipers and pads. plz clarify.

adidas_boi
01-16-2004, 08:25 AM
thanks whtteg. good thing to know i can save a couple hundred bucks. my oem calipers are just fine too. thanks again.

whtteg
01-16-2004, 04:42 PM
whtteg, i read/heard that you DO NOT have to bleed the brakes when installing calipers and pads. plz clarify.

Sorry but yes you have to bleed the system anytime you work on it. For saftey reasons just always do it.

sameintheend01
01-16-2004, 05:12 PM
wel, then, i guess your going to want to explain to me how to do that... :)

stickbella9
01-19-2004, 12:06 PM
i'm planning to get cross drilled and slotted rotors on all four. can i use the oem calipers? i've heard there's going to be a bleeding problem of some sort with this. how can i prevent this? any other suggestions?

thank you for any suggestions.

Go to www.eurobraketech.com for solving this whole problem. Call the toll free number listed and ask for David, he will give you all the info you need on the rotors and pads, and will slot and cross drill them for you for half the price of anywhere else!!

knorwj
01-19-2004, 12:17 PM
I have done many a brake job and i have never had to bleed a system unless changing a line/cylinder. only time you need to bleed is if air is introduced to the sytem. if you are just pulling the caliper off the rotor without removing the caliper completely from the car i.e. letting it hang from the brake line. (by the way this is not recomended, use a coat hanger to take the weight off the line).

all you need to do is...

remove the two bolts behind the caliper, take it off the rotor, hang it by a coat hanger or wire, remove rotor, replace with new rotor, compress the caliper piston with a c-clamp. replace brake pads, put caliper assembly back onto rotor, reinstall two bolts.

*get in car and pump brake pedal until caliper piston is up against the rotor and you feel pressure on pedal again.

that should be all you have to do,

*very important to make sure you pump the pedal to get pressure agin before takng car on the road...

Add your comment to this topic!