Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

LOUD WHINING NOISE on my 97 blazer!! :( HEEELLLPP!!

97blazerct
01-15-2004, 10:24 PM
The other day i was driving around a corner and then my car started making this EXTREMELY LOUD whining nose... Sounded like an airplane was landing on my car.. or like i had a ricer exaust just 10x louder... It got LOUDER and LOUDER.. and when i slowed down it got even LOUDER, but when i STOPPED the noise stopped too.. It winded down and stopped. So i can not get out and see WHERE its coming from!! ITs scary kind of.. Well it STOPPED all the rest of the day, but then lastnight it started again. It is so loud and i dont know WHAT it could be?!!?!!? Anyone have any ideas? or has anyone HAD this problem? HEEELLPP MEE!!!!!

97blazerct
01-16-2004, 09:28 PM
anybody?

zeeb
01-16-2004, 10:24 PM
Hmmm tough one... is the noise anytime the truck is running? Or only when you are moving? Can you narrow it down to the front or the rear of the truck? If you are in neutral or park and rev the engine do you get it or must you be rolling?

97blazerct
01-17-2004, 08:39 PM
Hmmm tough one... is the noise anytime the truck is running? Or only when you are moving? Can you narrow it down to the front or the rear of the truck? If you are in neutral or park and rev the engine do you get it or must you be rolling?
i said all this but i was confusing in doing so.

It only does it once in a while (2x so far within 3 days though) I was driving when it happened... It would get louder and louder.. then get even louder when i slowed down. but once i stopped it would stop too. Thats why i dont know what it is!! it *MIGHT* be coming from the front passengers side but im NOT SURE! It stops when the vehicle comes to a stop.. im nervous its something major.

Glenn Peters
01-17-2004, 10:29 PM
Does it go away if you engage 4HI ?

modification_inc
01-17-2004, 11:33 PM
The other day i was driving around a corner and then my car started making this EXTREMELY LOUD whining nose... Sounded like an airplane was landing on my car.. or like i had a ricer exaust just 10x louder... It got LOUDER and LOUDER.. and when i slowed down it got even LOUDER, but when i STOPPED the noise stopped too.. It winded down and stopped. So i can not get out and see WHERE its coming from!! ITs scary kind of.. Well it STOPPED all the rest of the day, but then lastnight it started again. It is so loud and i dont know WHAT it could be?!!?!!? Anyone have any ideas? or has anyone HAD this problem? HEEELLPP MEE!!!!!

HOW LONG HAD YOU BEEN DRIVING BEFORE YOU HEARD IT AND DOES IT HAPPEN ONLY WHEN TURNING?

97blazerct
01-18-2004, 12:28 AM
Does it go away if you engage 4HI ?
I was driving for about 15 mins the first time, and then about 20 mins or 1/2 hr the second time...
first time i was slowing down

second time i was just driving..

97blazerct
01-18-2004, 12:29 AM
i said all this but i was confusing in doing so.

It only does it once in a while (2x so far within 3 days though) I was driving when it happened... It would get louder and louder.. then get even louder when i slowed down. but once i stopped it would stop too. Thats why i dont know what it is!! it *MIGHT* be coming from the front passengers side but im NOT SURE! It stops when the vehicle comes to a stop.. im nervous its something major.
I havnt tried. why do you ask?

modification_inc
01-18-2004, 09:15 AM
The first thing I would look at is that there are no objects touching the fan, belts anything that moves under the hood.After that when it makes the noise again stop and try shifting from 4 hi to 4lo.I have one more ? is your heater blower on high every time its made the noise?

RockyZ
01-18-2004, 11:27 AM

Hey, I had a simular noise that came suddenly and when I slowed down it was a whirring noise that wound down as I slowed down and clicked at the end. As I started to drive it wound back up, then it went away. I drove a couple of miles and all of the sudden I thought there was a car with a loud siren on my tail but it was my car(2000 Blazer) . I replaced the vacuum switch on the top of the transfer case and it hasn't come back. I have driven the car over two thousand miles since then. I average 160 miles a day so it didn't take long to see if it would come back. Good Luck!!!!! I am not sure if you blazer has the same system.

97blazerct
01-18-2004, 09:45 PM
I havnt tried. why do you ask?
most likley, my heat does not work really...

97blazerct
01-18-2004, 09:49 PM
Oh wow, thats exactly what happened to me... I reciently had my tranny rebuilt 2x and the vacuum hose was unhooked for a while, when my 4x4 didnt work, i realized it and put it back on.

The guy who redid my tranny was going to replace the switch but didnt need to bcuz it was just the hose. In my blazer you need to remove the whole drive shaft to get the fucking switch on.. ( i was told )

did you do it yourself?

abbasdefense.com
04-14-2004, 08:36 PM
I am having this problem also. It only did it once in a while to begin with. I would be driving in cruise and when I would go down a large hill and the cruise would let up, it was almost like the front end would disengage. I would slow down and it got louder until I got slowed down enough and it would click and stop. Just the other day it started doing it everytime I slowed down by letting off the gas. It will start whining really loud. If I give it gas, it engages again and is fine but when I let off again it comes back. Once I get slowed down, it is OK. I have read what you all have put in here and this sounds like the same problem. I have pulled the diaphram switch from under the battery and it seems fine but I will get it checked out anyway. I removed the switch from the top of the transfer case also. Is there any way to tell if they are bad??? I will let you know if I find anything out on this end. If anyone knows please e-mail me @ crypt@triotel.net Scott

krb350
04-25-2004, 12:31 PM
I was driving for about 15 mins the first time, and then about 20 mins or 1/2 hr the second time...
first time i was slowing down

second time i was just driving..

Hello, I'm new to this forum, I'm having the same problem, I was wondering what you found out. In 2 wheel dr. noise is on the front right wheel, loud grinding noise, put into 4x4, goes away, no problems. Vaccum hose, ??? Noise comes whenever, doesn't matter if I turn right or left, I've had the wheel bearings checked, brakes, tires, ???
Amy info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Keith krb350

MrEd002u
04-25-2004, 09:58 PM
I had the same problem the other day too, I have a 2000 blazers, 2dr 4x4, was driving about 45 mph at first for about a half hour, got on the highway, got up to 85 and heard this strange humming noise, thought it was POS in front of me, then I slowed down and humming got louder, the humming was in synch with driving speed, I would speed up humming would speed up, slow down, humming slow down and get louder, I pulled over scared hell out of me, didnt see anything wrong, so started driving again and noise came back, first it started like a grinding noise then when got up to 45 started to get the humming, I slowed down again after about 6 miles, doing like 25 and hear small grinding like brakes, but brake pedal is not vibrating, I was mostly gettting vibration in stearing wheel and gas pedel (would think it was tires, but pretty sure its not since didnt have a vibration a day ago, and I work at a tire shop) I was worried cause I had a 250 miles trip to make and I just started, so I just ignored it and after about 80 miles humming went away but now get slight metal grinding noise and cant figure out where, on both sides of car, sounds like coming from both front and back, took it to miechke, they told me it was rust on the inside of the rotor, do u think this could be the problem? The humming noise did not come back (really sounds like a plane) and I drove about 400 miles without no humming, just the slighty grinding, also the grinding goes away when I turn on 4x4, and almost feels like I am pulling something or something is dragging underneather me, anyone have any ideas?

98gpking
02-22-2009, 09:59 AM
heres the deal guys. eventualy the fuse will blow. located on the drivers side dash by the door. its fuse #15 10a. if you pull that fuse WHILE YOUR TRUCK IS IN 2WD. your 4wd will be disabled and the noise WILL be gone. its coming from the front diff right side. if you pull this fuse however your fuel gauge wont work, your temp gauge wont work, your battery light will be on. but that whine is caused most likely from bad gears. if you wanna check ur fuel just pop in a good 10a fuse turn the key forward and woollaaa you have a reading pull the fuse out and your good to go.

my blazer simply just wont have 4wd anymore. oh well

kufan4life
05-08-2013, 04:35 PM
I have a 2000 Chevy Blazer and mine just recently started making a loud noise going at least 60 mph or higher... sounds like an Ambulance is flying passed me.. I hit my brake pedal and it stops... does it maybe once a week... I haven't had a chance to have it checked yet... only lasts a few minutes for now... always on the highway

Add your comment to this topic!