Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Door Panels

super_tuner403
01-15-2004, 07:38 PM
hi im juss woundering how some show cars have smoothed out door panels like glass, how do they do it. i would like to do this to my car because i am fiberglassing my dash and i want the rest to match

starkfu
01-15-2004, 09:39 PM
umm, if you are fiberglassing the dash, the rest is done the same way. there is a few different ways you can do it. since the underside of the door panel is usually some sort of fiberglass composite material pull all vinyl and cloth off, or if you have a plastic panel just sand it smooth, lay down a couple coats of fiber and go buy as much sandpaper as you can. Sanding is the key for this, the smoother you can get it the better it will turn out when you paint it. i normally use some sort of orbital sander to get a shape and pull a majority of the pits and bumps out. next sand with a heavy grit like 200 or so, then work your way up to 1000 to 1500, until your content, i am not content until it feels like a baby's butt (I have a baby so i do know what it feels like!, i am not like mike!) then when it's smooth lay down your primer paint and a shit load of clear.

EclipseACCORD
01-15-2004, 10:46 PM
:bigthumb:

Add your comment to this topic!