Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1989 Jetta - Reading Engine Codes

dover
01-15-2004, 03:00 PM
Hi,

Does anyone know how to read the engine codes off of an 89 Jetta Wolfsburg??? I have had some problems with it and I can't get it started now... Here is what I have done, suggestions are welcome:

1) Replaced fuel filter
2) Replaced Battery
3) Tested alternator (fine)
4) Replaced plugs
5) Replaced Distributer Cap
6) Replaced Rotor Button

Here is what the car does. It will turn over, but seems like it isn't wanting to start. After replacing the rotor button and cap, it ran fine for about 45 minutes, then I shut it down. The next day, I started it up, drove it about 10 miles, to a buddies house. Watched the University of Cincinnati beat Marquette by 12 points and keep their perfect season intact. When I went to leave, it started fine. About 100 yards later, it sputtered, so I gave it some gas and it sounded fine. Then, when I let off the gas, it stalled. Re-started the car and drove about 25 yards before it crapped out.

I don't know what to look at next, I'va about had it with this turd, so any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,
Ben

GTI20thAEinDE
01-18-2004, 11:40 AM
Find someone close to you who has a vag-com. There are a bunch of people on vwvortex.com with them. Also, autozone or another car place will read the code but charge you $60-75. Somebody who owns a vag-com will usually do it for no more than a 6-pack of beer.

GotJetta
03-01-2004, 11:52 AM
Being an 89 it's a Digiphant injection. did you verify you have fuel pressure?? at the end of the fuel rail is a small hex bolt, remove it and attach a hose and stick it in a large glass jar. have someone start the engine and see if you get a good streem of fuel. If not one of the fuel pumps is not working. This car has 2 pumps, one in the tank and one outside. To test if pumps are running turn off all accessories, radio, fan, etc so you can hear if the pumps run for a few seconds when the ingnition is turned on. You should hear the pumps for about 3, 4 seconds,
However one of the pumps could still be bad.

dover
03-02-2004, 08:25 AM
Thanks for the reply, but I have given up of vee-dub :( Too much time and effort to get it on the road... I can hear the fuel pump(s) kick on that's one of the first things I checked. I have no idea how to work on these cars, I guess I'll just go back to Mustangs since that's what I know...

Thanks for the help anyway!!!

Ben

Add your comment to this topic!