Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

how do u make body kits???

typeR564
01-14-2004, 06:07 PM
i was going to but a new model car and i want to put a bodykit on it i was wondering how to make it. in going to get a honda S2000, or if i see anything else i like.

dag65
01-14-2004, 06:35 PM
Type how to [make body kits] into the search box, I came up with 3 pages of threads that refernced body kits , several were on how to make them

MR-2RaCeR
01-14-2004, 08:55 PM
Or you could buy one off of www.scaleautostyle.com (http://www.scaleautostyle.com) if you dont feel like making one.

chrismcgee
01-15-2004, 03:38 AM
can we collectively make a "how to" on making body kits, even if its just a basic list of things to do. as this question is popping up about twice a week.

but the main things you will need are as follows:-

Plastic card from local hobby shop (same material as kit)
Modeling putty (various types from milliput to tamiya epoxy to model filler)
sand paper (various grades)
Glues such as poly cement and super glue.
sharp cutting knife such as a scalpel or exacto knife.
patience
reference pictures.

use the plastic card to create the hard edges and reinforcement for the putty, it will save you a lot of time, be carful to let the putty dry out completely, try building up thick layers in smaller thinner layers otherwise drying time can become days!
put on more putty than you need to that you can sand the shape you need, but make sure your not blocking any needed details off.

make sure the body will fit onto chassis whilst adding putty.
and dont expect to make a great job first time round, it requires a lot of practise.

Add your comment to this topic!