Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

best sounding exhaust

Arlorn87
01-14-2004, 02:59 PM
hey me and a friend both have 94 honda accord EX. and we're looking into starting to mod them. I wanted to know what you guys thought was the best sounding CAT_Back system

IAmCman
01-14-2004, 04:19 PM
Apex'i World Sport, no doubt. Just got mine on, and I can't get enough of that sound.

Of course...this is all a matter of opinion...

If you want quiet and deep, go with Apex'i World Sport. The Greddy EVO is slightly louder, at least on my friend's EK civic. Both are quality systems, and you won't be unhappy with either choice.

If you want something loud and buzzy, go order some crap ricer system off ebay.

Obviously you can tell what my preference is :)

NINaudio
01-14-2004, 05:00 PM
Cman, what's the quietest one out there for a 98 accord i4? the WS? or something else, I don't want anything loud at all.

blazinmiller
01-14-2004, 07:07 PM
I've always HATED magnaflow's in V6's and esp V8's, but the accord I bought had a magnaflow already installed and I must say I'm 100% impressed on how a magnaflow sounds in a honda.

It's not loud, it's not buzzy, it's perfect.
All you'll get is a sweet mellow tone that is 100% for whoever is in the car and not intended for anyone outside of the car and like any other MUFFLER you add to a 4 banger, it's only for slight gains.

IAmCman
01-14-2004, 07:46 PM
Myself, I have a 96 Accord, so I have no personal experience with 6th gens. But if I had to take an educated (and most likely correct) guess, I'd say that the World Sport for 6th gens sounds similarly awesome (if they make it for 98+). It all comes down to GReddy exhausts and Apex'i WS, with the addition of maybe a few others. Those two are the only ones that I've heard nothing but good things about, not to mention have personal experience with.

Stick with either of those, IMO...good stuff.

check out here:

http://www.modacar.com/products/Honda/Accord/MODACAB

That's where I ordered mine from.

jajimo
01-14-2004, 08:12 PM
I just bought the RS*R ExMag. Not the GTII, just the ExMag. It's actually more expensive than the GTII but in my opinion, looks much better. I just posted some pics (if they work) here in the Accord Forum. It hasn't been installed yet, but it may be tommarow or monday. I hear it is the quietest aftermarket exhaust, but it comes at a heavy price. The exhaust retails for $629 from RS*R for the rear-section and b-pipe (so it's a cat-back).

IAmCman
01-14-2004, 09:02 PM
I've heard pretty good things about the ExMag too...other than the fact that it's out of production and kinda difficult to find....I think.

So add a third to that list of exhausts you can't go wrong with.

I've also heard the Tanabe Hyper Medallion is nice too...

002star
01-14-2004, 09:51 PM
I have a '90 Honda Accord LX and I put a Mangaflow on there and at first i was so pissed becuase it was so quiet unless i gunned on the highway. But i think i've had it on there for about a year now. Man i think that is so much better sounding than those god damn coffee can muffler i always see. That's my input take it how you want.

bigbea
03-12-2004, 08:06 AM
I have a 96 accord. I really like the sound of the Greddy EVO but if cost is a factor you can get a powertech muffler cheap. They produce nice, deep tone and they're affordable

dougthegreat
03-12-2004, 10:10 AM
:) I doubt this opinion will be popular, but...

Go with something that isn't loud, isn't obnoxious, and doesn't look like you stuck a metal trash can on your muffler. I had a custom exhaust on my '93 Accord that made it sound turbocharged when you wound the engine up. Other than that, what's so wrong with the stock exhaust?!?

F23A4Racer750IL
03-12-2004, 10:40 PM
like alot of ppl say. Greddy EVO, SP, APexi WS, and DC Sports cat-back is pretty quiet. so is RS*R EX-MAG.

desmd99
03-13-2004, 01:45 AM
I've always HATED magnaflow's in V6's and esp V8's, but the accord I bought had a magnaflow already installed and I must say I'm 100% impressed on how a magnaflow sounds in a honda.

It's not loud, it's not buzzy, it's perfect.
All you'll get is a sweet mellow tone that is 100% for whoever is in the car and not intended for anyone outside of the car and like any other MUFFLER you add to a 4 banger, it's only for slight gains.

hey just wondering what series of magnaflow on your vehicle? I got a deal for magnaflow racing series. I afraid the sound will be really deep and loud.

F23A4Racer750IL
03-13-2004, 10:49 AM
im tellin ya man the APEXi WS exhaust is the best exhaust ive ever herd. my friend has it on his 2002 Accord V6 and it sounds great. its one exhaust system thats sounds like it has a pair of balls. it roars when u punch. if u hear it goin down the highway u would think it was a mustang. now i realize thats an accord v6 but it shouldnt sound much different on an I4.

jajimo
03-13-2004, 03:42 PM
The RS*R sounds awesome when I floor it, however, since it is an automatic pushing around 150HP at 3000lbs, it lags like a mother fucker... so basically it sounds like I have power but I really don't =(

tenguzero
03-14-2004, 01:58 AM
I went with one of those $40 generic stainless steel mufflers off Ebay (a DTM, or dual tip) it looks almost like the ones on BMW's (squared off tips, 3" diameter each) Then, I went to my local Midas, had them custom bend a new A-pipe (it was needed to accomodate the muffler's inlet location, and because I wanted something more solid than a couple widening sleeves welded together onto the end of my existing pipe- the muffler inlet was like 3 1/2 inches, the stock Accord A-pipe is something like 1 3/4 or 2") This ran me $140 for the pipe fabrication and welding, mounting of hanging brackets on muffler, and installation of the whole thing. SOOOO, for about $180, I ended up with a custom A-pipe/muffler combination, that sounds AWESOME (the muffler has a really nice, low tone to it... I'm told by many people that the sound is perfect) Just discreet enough so it doesn't alert any of the 5-0 in the vicinity, but you can DEFINATELY still hear it, and feel it. Plus, I still have my whole OEM A-pipe/ muffler setup, in case I ever want to bolt it back on. I wanted to steer away from a full catback system, mainly because 1. I didn't have the money, and 2. There are just too many concerns about backpressure related issues with bolting a large diameter pipe onto a 4 banger. I've heard bad stories of people's cars losing all their oomph to unnecessarily open exhaust system piping. From what I understand, it is great for turbo charged or other high output engines, but not for some 2 liter i4.

F23A4Racer750IL
03-14-2004, 08:37 AM
most of the time back pressure isnt much of a concern wit cat-back exhausts. even if u do a custom exhaust job piping could be too big. most companies dont make the piping to big for ur car. most of the time theres different sizes for each car.

bigbea
03-15-2004, 07:34 AM
I did the same thing. To get all the gain that a cat back has I installed a high flow cat and a muffler. This eliminates getting bigger piping. All I need now is headers.

Koushu
03-15-2004, 09:34 AM
Below is a link to my sound clip of my Apexi WS. I have it on my 91 Honda Accord EX, all other engine components are stock. This was recorded with my nephews cam corder and re-recorded with my computer mic. During the middle and at the very end there is this farty sound but it is from his 4wheeler footage that was already on the cam corder. Enjoy!

Apexi WS Sound Clip (http://koushu.250free.com/apexiws.wav)

jahobo13
03-22-2004, 08:58 PM
I was thinking about making my own exhaust (thought it might be cheaper) and I was wondering how to go about doing it. Any ideas?

bigbea
03-23-2004, 08:39 AM
making your own exhaust....

buy a header, high flow cat, muffler

HoNdaGrl03
03-23-2004, 08:45 AM
http://www.sounddomain.com/id/phatmax98

I have read alot of Good stuff about the Greddy SP Exhaust and I think that is what I'm getting for my 96 accord. That link has a clip on it of that exhaust on a 98 maxima, just to give u a general idea of the sound, its not ricey, but its not like a mud truck!

MIKE!
10-24-2004, 12:17 AM
what would you all say about putting an invidia catback system on a 96 accord lx with CAI....? would it be loud and low? or loud and ricey?!

i really want a loud/noticable sound. but i want it to be real clean, deep and low

would this be a good choice.... my price limit is $525

MyAccordIsFaster
11-03-2004, 03:41 PM
Below is a link to my sound clip of my Apexi WS. I have it on my 91 Honda Accord EX, all other engine components are stock. This was recorded with my nephews cam corder and re-recorded with my computer mic. During the middle and at the very end there is this farty sound but it is from his 4wheeler footage that was already on the cam corder. Enjoy!

Apexi WS Sound Clip (http://koushu.250free.com/apexiws.wav)

Sorry man, the link didnt work...would you e-mail it to me? german_draco_human@yahoo.com

deebo424
12-02-2004, 04:24 PM
anyone know about the Skunk2 catback for Accords? i know it cant be too bad since Skunk2 is a quality brand, but i had picked it and the Apexi out and was leaning towards Skunk2...anyone have any experience with them or opinions? thanks

friday86
12-03-2004, 10:20 AM
Does anyone know how nice/good the 5Zigen Fireball sounds and performs?

F23A4Racer750IL
12-03-2004, 03:16 PM
1. Apexi WS
2. Greddy EVO2
3. RSR GT-II
4. DC Sports TCS
5.Greddy SP2

Huffa
12-04-2004, 06:48 AM
Is it just me? I never heard a one 4 cylinder that I liked.

BIG OLD V-8'S Now they have some sound!

F23A4Racer750IL
12-04-2004, 07:31 AM
anyone know about the Skunk2 catback for Accords? i know it cant be too bad since Skunk2 is a quality brand, but i had picked it and the Apexi out and was leaning towards Skunk2...anyone have any experience with them or opinions? thanks

skunk 2 is a great company and the mega power exhaust system is top of the line. but it costs at least 600 bucks which is alot for an exhaust. my buddy has it on his 01 integra ls and its pretty loud but not annoying loud. it would probaly sound different on an accord though.

deebo424
12-04-2004, 01:13 PM
well, i know where i can get the Skunk2 for about $450, which is only about $100 more than an Apexi, so thats why i'm leaning towards it

deebo424
12-04-2004, 02:15 PM
1. Apexi WS
2. Greddy EVO2
3. RSR GT-II
4. DC Sports TCS
5.Greddy SP2

The only problem with the Greddy EVO2 is that it only fits an Accord EX model, and the problem with the RSR is that they are extremely hard to find (at a reasonable price)...otherwise, yeah those are great exhausts

F23A4Racer750IL
12-05-2004, 11:12 AM
well 4th gen and 5th gen accord EX are different from the LX and DX. but 6th gen accords the only model a EX exhaust wont fit on with out some custom work is the DX. the 7th gen accords it doesnt matter cuz the DX,LX,EX have the same engine. i think the only reason EX exhaust wont fit on LX, DX exhaust for the 5th gen is because exhaust manifold design. im not positive but thats the only thing i can think of.

deebo424
12-05-2004, 01:27 PM
well 4th gen and 5th gen accord EX are different from the LX and DX. but 6th gen accords the only model a EX exhaust wont fit on with out some custom work is the DX. the 7th gen accords it doesnt matter cuz the DX,LX,EX have the same engine. i think the only reason EX exhaust wont fit on LX, DX exhaust for the 5th gen is because exhaust manifold design. im not positive but thats the only thing i can think of.

thats exactly why they are different...the EX came with the F22A which has 145 hp, while the F22B is in the LX/DX/SE models and has 130 hp...that means they have a slightly different exhaust manifold--but im sure if you were really wanting an EVO2 on your LX or SE that you could make it fit ;)

F23A4Racer750IL
12-05-2004, 01:31 PM
o yea defintily. my friend has a 97 LX and fit a Greddy EVO on it. of course some custom work was done. but it looks really good and sounds awesome.

Pedros91
12-07-2004, 11:17 PM
i have a 91 ex auto and just purchased apexi n1 cat back and it's awsome but if I had the money I would have perfered the greddy evo 2 exaust
and really hate the auto trany it really blows billy goats

F23A4Racer750IL
12-09-2004, 02:09 PM
auto has it pros and cons, but i would much rather have a 5spd. exhaust sounds so much better on a manual transmission.

schomper
12-11-2004, 06:28 PM
what i am about to say might sound unorthodox but read on .your asking for the best sounding exhaust? try cutting off your muffler, splitting off into a y and go back with straight pipes with no mufflers at all!!! my tips are chrome 3" tubes about 18" long and it sounds great !!!!!!!!! totally unrestricted and i did it with my v6 3.8 chevy monte carlo. back pressure u ask? between the catalytic converter and the resonator thats pleanty of restriction. AT FIrST I WAS WORRIED IT WOULD BE to loud but it isn't, you sure can here me coming , but it sounds great !!!! and its cheap !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no big ugly silver cans hanging off the back , just 2 3" tubes straight back !!! deep throaty sound. my son will be doing the same thing to his 97 accord ex when we get done with the body kit and paint job. if my 200hp chevy 3.8 isn't to loud theres no way a 2.2 honda will be louder. CAT BACK ? forget it ...NOTHING BACK is the best way :))) try it you'll like it

Add your comment to this topic!