Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Question for airbrush users....moisture trap?

Deejay27
01-13-2004, 01:40 PM
I've never had a lot of luck spraying tamiya acrylics. I thin them down to the consistency of milk and spray at around 23 psi with a Paasche VL Airbrush and the paint always come out with very evenly dispursed tiny/micro dots (especially Tamiya's red). The color is nice and even but never really that smooth. I have to use Tamiya's synthetic laquer rattle cans to spray large areas and only use my airbrush to spray small parts. I was wondering if I attach a "moisture trap" to my airbrush setup would it give me a smooth finish when spraying the acrylics? I beginning to wonder if that is my problem or is it my airbrush or maybe I just suck. Has anyone noticed a big difference when they started using a moisture trap in their airbrushing?

willimo
01-13-2004, 01:43 PM
I'm still not good enough to know if the moisture trap on my compressor does any good. However, I live in Louisiana, it was cheap, and I figured it wouldn't hurt. If you don't get a reply, I'd say try it and let us know how it turns out?

dag65
01-13-2004, 06:56 PM
I don't know if it will cure your problem or not but a moisture trap is a must, it does what it says and keep extra oils and so on out of the airbrush. I suggest you mess around with different air pressures and spraying distances until you find the right combo.

Deejay27
01-15-2004, 01:52 PM
thanks for the input guys....anyone else have an opinion?

mike@af
01-15-2004, 09:01 PM
thanks for the input guys....anyone else have an opinion?

I have an opinion.

The moisture trap doesnt not affect the consistency of the paint, turn the pressure up to about 30PSI, thin the paint a little more, strain it (Nylons work well), then spray anywhere from 8-12inches away.

That should cure your problem. The moisture trap has nothing to do with it.

Read your manual and check the maximum pressure setting so you dont put to much pressure on your brush. Then mess with the pressure settings between 18-35psi.

Tamiya paints spray real well when they are thinner then milk, and almost like water. Sometimes I will mix half and half. Also make sure you are using rubbing alcohol or the tamiya acrylic thinner.

If you have any more problems, PM me.

PRIVATEER
01-15-2004, 11:56 PM
Try this....turn on your compressor, let the tank fill (if you have one) now...with no paint, spray the palm of your hand. Do you feel or see water?? If so then you need a moister trap. If not then you probably dont. I have one on my tank, but it hardly ever needs emptying.

Deejay27
01-16-2004, 12:06 AM
GTMike.....I'll give that a try. I'll pm you if I have more questions. PRIVATEER....is that a 1/12th scale porsche?

skylinehks
01-16-2004, 12:35 AM
hey dude, its not you, tamiya acyrilics juss suck, I hate to say it but testors got the better acyrilics for spray on... Once its on, it flake when you try to do anything, even if you primer the sucker before hand. I donno how to work it well. And you need to use acyrilic thinner with acyrilic paint. Using lacqqor thinner might make your paint curl and it won't bond. So that is another question.

PRIVATEER
01-16-2004, 12:46 AM
deeyjay......no prob..yea it's 1/12 scale Tamiya.

btw keep tyring with the Tamiya paint. its great once ya' get the hang of it!

MPWR
01-16-2004, 11:39 AM
Tamiya acrylics are great- soon as you know how to use 'em. More than likely your problems are just a matter of thinning solution. Don't use straight water- the paint will dry much too slowly. I thin with a 50/50 mix of isoproply alcohol and distilled water. I keep it in a small plastic dropper bottle, and dispense thinner drop by drop straight into the paint cup. If you find your paint still dries too fast/slow, change the mix ratio of the thinning solution- more alcohol to dry faster, more water to dry slower. Always test spray before painting- I have a stack of old 3x5 cards I use. This way you know if you've over or under thinned, or if your spray pressure is off, etc. Good luck! :thumbsup:

Add your comment to this topic!