Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Fuel Sending Unit

Zeus_Chicago
01-12-2004, 10:36 PM
I have a 1997 Bonneville that I took into the dealer because it was leaking gas. They are telling me that its because my Fuel Sending Unit is rusted and shot, and they will replace it for the meger price of $500 (for the part) plus another $300 for labor.

I have checked the internet and while i can not find a Fuel Sending unit for my car, the most expensive one I was was like $150.

Are they for real?

Flatrater
01-12-2004, 10:59 PM
Yes! But 300 for labor is kinda high unless they charge 100 an hour.

Zeus_Chicago
01-12-2004, 11:16 PM
grrrrrr.....thanks for the reply Im off to shoot bullett holes in my car before pushing it off a cliff :(

(j/k)

Thanks again!

bridget36907
01-16-2004, 05:41 AM
is that part hard to replace yourself?

waymaster
01-18-2004, 07:41 AM
Zeus Chicago and briget36907, I had the same problem with my 92 Bonniville. I bought a replacement sending unit for $85.00 at http://discountgastanks.com/ If you don't see your vehicle listed they have a toll free number you can call and they will help you out. As far as replacing it, it wasn't that difficult on my 92. I had to loosen up the exhaust a little to get it out of the way, then drop down the gas tank, unhook fuel lines, take retaining ring off, pull out the fuel pump and sending unit, transfer fuel pump onto new sending unit. Then reverse procedure to install. No special tools needed. Hope this helps.

dmcfan
05-13-2004, 02:09 PM
What actually leaks on the sending unit? Does it crack somewhere?

CarSuperfreak
05-13-2004, 02:16 PM
ive got a 95 bonneville, and my car leaks a little gas only when it is full. on my car, it is just that the steel tube on the gas tank that the rubber fill-tube goes to is rusting near when the clamp is. This could also possibly be the problem? But as far as the sending unit goes, the cars with 3800 engines have a habit of going through the fuel pump. i had mine replaced, with labor, for $400. still very expensive, but much less than the $800 dealer price you qouted.

tip: never go to a dealer for service. prices are outrageous, service is sub par, and the biggest problem? automakers only have stock parts. so even if you get a faulty part replaced, it will be replaced with the exact same (possibly also faulty) part from off their shelf. avoid dealers, and avoid oem parts. aftermarket parts are better quality

Add your comment to this topic!