What we drive in Europe. Compact cars

Pages : [1] 2 3

Euro19
12-24-2001, 12:42 AM
Here´s a comparison between the Ford Focus ZX5, Citroen Xsara, and Seat Leon (built by VW in the Golf platform)

Euro19
12-24-2001, 12:50 AM
This is the Leon
Built in the Golf platform
It has multiple engines choices. The more powerfull is a VW 2.8 V6 204HP

Euro19
12-24-2001, 12:55 AM
The Leon and Citroen Xsara.
The Xsara is a bestseller in Europe.
It was restyled for 2001, and introduced in late 1997.
The most powerfull version is the VTS 2.0L 16v 167HP

Euro19
12-24-2001, 01:03 AM
You all now the Focus. It´s more powerfull version is the S2 and SVT.
It was european car of the year 1999.
It´s the best seller vehicle in the world.

Euro19
12-24-2001, 01:11 AM
The Peugeot 307
A Great Value.
All new for 2002.
European car of the year 2002 award.
Most powerfull engine (GTi): 2.0L 138HP
The 307 WRC is way more powerfull obviously

Euro19
12-24-2001, 01:19 AM
The Renault Megane
It´s an european bestseller
Like the 307, it uses the latest aditions of automotive engineering.
There´s tons of body configurations (from a hatchback to a convertible), trim levels and engine options.
The most powerfull is the 2.0L 140HP

Euro19
12-24-2001, 01:30 AM
The Opel Astra (also known as Chevrolet, Holden and Vauxhall)
Like with the Renault, there´s multiple choices of Astra (Opel GM)
Hatchback, Coupe (picture), Cabrio, Wagon, etc.
It was created to rivalize the VW Golf mainly.
The most powerfull engine is from the Coupe Turbo; a 2.0L 190HP 245kph
You can also ask for a diesel 1.6L hatchback with 84HP.:confused:

YogsVR4
12-24-2001, 12:39 PM
I dont think I've seen that Renault before. Thats a pretty sharp little car.

Never pay again for live sex! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=1) | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=3) | Chat for free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=5)

Da Hawxxx
12-24-2001, 05:09 PM
I take the Seat Leon 108 20VT........ or the Seat Leon Cupra! Why spend more money on a Golf if the Leon is ( almost ) the same.

but i wondering why you didn't picked the Alfa 147 and the BMW compact Audi A3 and Fiat Stilo?

AEstud
12-31-2001, 08:58 AM
I like alot of the body styles that european cars have.....I've never really seen european cars before....I like 'em

WRX-MAN
12-31-2001, 10:15 AM
id say the golf.

Jimster
12-31-2001, 11:55 PM
You all know what brand my loyalties lie with:D :finger: :finger:

<--------- This one

btw-anyone else think the Citroen Xsara has had the worlds worst facelift???????

RazorGTR
01-01-2002, 03:09 PM
I like the looks of the Citroen Xsara. I know nothing about these cars but since that is the fact I went with looks. :) Besides they seem pretty good in the WRC even though the Focus's are doing better I hate fords.

Chris
01-04-2002, 02:02 PM
Seat Leon. It is made by VW, and I have great respect for them. And the hot models are some of the best little stormers out there.

However, the car I would recommend (anywhere): The VW Golf with the awesome 1.9L Turbo Diesel. It makes 150hp, and approx. 240lb-ft. It will get great mileage, will get decent 0-60 times. But the real kick is in around town driving, and 99% of your highway driving. The torque at low revs will just shoot you forward. A great engine, too bad it isn't here (instead of our 90hp model.)

Porsche
01-04-2002, 06:11 PM
I've heard Opel Is pretty good, and dosen't someone on here a a picture of a model OPel V8 Astra? If so, get that one, it would smoke eveything else.

Euro19
01-06-2002, 12:18 AM
You mean the new Astra X-Treme? That car is a beast, certainly not availble but for Grand Prix or I don´t know what else (with Porshe, mod. CLK, etc)
I have a pic of a cute Astra 3door hatchback with the Sport package included.

Da Hawxxx
01-06-2002, 04:28 PM
here you go, this is based on the DTM version, were it competes the CLK's and Audi TT's. Powering the X-treme is a detuned version of the racing car's 4,0-litre V8 engine developing 326 kW. Transmitting all that power to the rear wheels is a six-speed manual gearbox. Torque is a massive 530 Nm.

Da Hawxxx
01-06-2002, 04:33 PM
just noticed this.....:rolleyes:

Euro19
01-06-2002, 09:21 PM
jajaja:D :smoker:

Jimster
01-08-2002, 09:53 PM
I like the looks of the new Holden Astra SRi

Pennzoil GT-R
06-11-2002, 05:38 PM
eughhhhh, Astra's. the biggest pile of shite since the Vectra. o ye, thats a vauxhall aswell(sorry, Opel, we call them Vauxhall in britain). I have had the displeasure of working with those unreliable heaps of shite. And the worst bit? England is full of the fuckin things, even tho they get shit reviews in all the magazines.
My choice has gotta be the Golf. The German engineering is second to none

Fliquer
06-14-2002, 11:42 AM
What about the new MGs?

crayzayjay
06-15-2002, 07:28 PM
Id take a Golf (and i actually have!) but MG has made a pretty remarkable comeback... the ZR would be the appropriate MG for this comparison.
Heres the MG ZR 160: 160bhp, sharp handler, very nice car overall

http://www.km77.com/marcas/mg/mg_zr/med/3-4del.jpg

http://www.rover.at/bilder/x30_hinten.jpg

Stefanel1
06-18-2002, 02:55 PM
The peugeot 307 is nice and has much room inside. But there are not (yet) really powerful motors.
The Xsara has a very good handling, maybe the best of the category. Very good rally car as the Peugeot 206 which won many rallies.
The Astra is nice in coupé (by Bertone) but a little bit expensive.
The Alfa 147 is beautiful, maybe my favorite.
The Stilo is too classic.
The compact BMW, and the A3 are at the price of the superior category (like Renault Laguna, Ford Mondeo or VW Passat)...
And about MG : the ZR and ZS are too old and we are aware of that with the handling of the 80's ! The MG ZT (based on the 75) is very nice and is a good car at a good price. But Rover is alas, not in a good economic form.

crayzayjay
06-19-2002, 12:39 PM
handling from the 80's??
i dont know where you got that from but the ZRand ZS, particularly the latter are excellent handlers. Proof of this is by driving the 25 and 45 and seeing the improvement from the transformation of Rover into MG

gang$tarr
06-21-2002, 05:45 PM
Yea every car in europe is a hatchback! It's so F'ed up!

crayzayjay
06-21-2002, 06:03 PM
Yea every car in europe is a hatchback! It's so F'ed up!
1. That's bull. Is every car in the US a truck?
2. Theres nothing wrong with hatchbacks anyway
3. American manufacturers would do well to copy European companies to try to improve the appalling handling of American cars!

Our cars may be smaller but dynamically the majority is pretty accomplished

Euro19
06-21-2002, 11:39 PM
Actually Europe has a whole more variety in cars tha US. Most cars are hatchbacks, yes, but there´s like more than 50 models of that kind offered, and thats quite a lot.
There´s also tons of Audi´s, MB and BMW, not to mention short-minivans and sports cars.

Pennzoil GT-R
06-22-2002, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by Euro19
Actually Europe has a whole more variety in cars tha US. Most cars are hatchbacks, yes, but there´s like more than 50 models of that kind offered, and thats quite a lot.
There´s also tons of Audi´s, MB and BMW, not to mention short-minivans and sports cars.

Exactly, europe has its fair share of hatchbacks, but remember where Mercs, BMW's, Audi's, Ferraris, Lambo's, Aston's, Bentley's etc. come from. What variety do you have in America. Yuo seem to have pickup trucks, and big old town car type barges. The only dynamic cars you have are imported from Europe

Stefanel1
06-22-2002, 09:20 AM
gang$tarr, you don't seem to be openminded... nevermind, but it's a bad think to be like that.
I'm fully according with Euro19, crayzayjay, etc.
Euro19 : you have an Alfa 156 1.8 : is it a good car ? My mother would like to change her 155 2.0 TS and she hesitates between BMW 318i, a peugeot 406 coupé 2.0, and the Alfa (maybe with a JTD or a 1.8/2.0). What would be the best.

Euro19
06-25-2002, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Stefanel1
gang$tarr, you don't seem to be openminded... nevermind, but it's a bad think to be like that.
I'm fully according with Euro19, crayzayjay, etc.
Euro19 : you have an Alfa 156 1.8 : is it a good car ? My mother would like to change her 155 2.0 TS and she hesitates between BMW 318i, a peugeot 406 coupé 2.0, and the Alfa (maybe with a JTD or a 1.8/2.0). What would be the best.

Well, i have to say i recomend best the Peugeot 406 coupe, is a great performer car, a friend of mine has one. But since I needed the convenience of 4 doors I got a sporty car, that´s the Alfa 156, if you want to buy one of those get the 2.0, it feels more sport. Anywise is a good car, handles well, etc. The BMW is good too, I think it´s a hard choice to pic between those. If you care the Alfa and Peugeot are more certainly to be renewed maybe in 2003. :p

gang$tarr
06-25-2002, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by crayzayjay

1. That's bull. Is every car in the US a truck?
2. Theres nothing wrong with hatchbacks anyway
3. American manufacturers would do well to copy European companies to try to improve the appalling handling of American cars!

Our cars may be smaller but dynamically the majority is pretty accomplished

Nah, I'm just saying that alot of cars in europe are hatchbacks.
When I was in Italy last year, atleast 80% of the cars were hatchbacks.

I just dont like hatchbacks

It's also weird seeing less of the good manufacturers in their own region. I see loads of BMWs and Mercedes cars everyday, while in europe all I saw was alot of old ones and the occasional newer model. Don't get me wrong there are alot of different cars in europe, but it just seems like there are alot more good cars in the US.

I also didn't see many exotics, a couple porsches, a couple Ferraris over a 3 week trip.
While everyday on the highway here I will see atleast 5 porsches, a Ferrari once a day (on average), vipers, loads of corvettes. There are a couple Lotus Esprits a see in my city often.

I dont think people in europe take advantage of the variety of cars they have to choose from

Stefanel1
06-25-2002, 04:14 PM
I know it's not an easy choise ;) We'll try it and do our choise. We have to sell the 155 before. But Alfa Roméo are difficult to sell that's why we're not sure to take another Alfa, although it a beautiful car. To sell a Peugeot or a BMW is far more easy.
Gangstarr : Italy is not Europe ! There are still many hatchback (not 80% !) in the EU because we have sometimes small roads (we've an history here...) and it's no use to have a longer car with a sedan : the best example is that in Roma, Paris, etc., people who have often Ferrari/Porsche/Venturi/masérati, etc. in their garage have often an Audi S3 (small but comfotable and powerfull) for a normal use. they use the Ferrari (etc.) the week-end. They don't also use these cars because there are many car jacking here. An anecdot : I know sby who wanted to buy an X5 or the new Range Rover and she finally bought a Nissan Patrol... not so luxurious but not so theft !
An example to explain also why you don't see many "big" cars in Europe : if you have US$20 000, you'll buy a Stratus whereas an European will buy the new Mini, a 206 or a Polo but well fitted ! (smaller than a Golf if you don't see what these cars are). If you have to drive and more, to park in a big town, wou'll be happy to have this car and not an S-class !

Pennzoil GT-R
06-25-2002, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by gang$tarr

It's also weird seeing less of the good manufacturers in their own region. I see loads of BMWs and Mercedes cars everyday, while in europe all I saw was alot of old ones and the occasional newer model. Don't get me wrong there are alot of different cars in europe, but it just seems like there are alot more good cars in the US.

I also didn't see many exotics, a couple porsches, a couple Ferraris over a 3 week trip.
While everyday on the highway here I will see atleast 5 porsches, a Ferrari once a day (on average), vipers, loads of corvettes. There are a couple Lotus Esprits a see in my city often.

I dont think people in europe take advantage of the variety of cars they have to choose from

i think that by going to italy you may have been in the wrong country to see more fancy cars. Countries like Italy and France seem to have more hatchbacks than some other countries in Europe. Certainly in Germany, there are Mercedes and BMW's all over the place, and this is true in the UK too, with quite a few big exotic cars too. I dont know why some countries buy different kinds of car, but if you came here to the UK you would find it very different to your trip to Italy

Pennzoil GT-R
06-25-2002, 04:20 PM
I know it's not an easy choise ;) We'll try it and do our choise. We have to sell the 155 before. But Alfa Roméo are difficult to sell that's why we're not sure to take another Alfa, although it a beautiful car. To sell a Peugeot or a BMW is far more easy.
Gangstarr : Italy is not Europe ! There are still many hatchback (not 80% !) in the EU because we have sometimes small roads (we've an history here...) and it's no use to have a longer car with a sedan : the best example is that in Roma, Paris, etc., people who have often Ferrari/Porsche/Venturi/masérati, etc. in their garage have often an Audi S3 (small but comfotable and powerfull) for a normal use. they use the Ferrari (etc.) the week-end. They don't also use these cars because there are many car jacking here. An anecdot : I know sby who wanted to buy an X5 or the new Range Rover and she finally bought a Nissan Patrol... not so luxurious but not so theft !
An example to explain also why you don't see many "big" cars in Europe : if you have US$20 000, you'll buy a Stratus whereas an European will buy the new Mini, a 206 or a Polo but well fitted ! (smaller than a Golf if you don't see what these cars are). If you have to drive and more, to park in a big town, wou'll be happy to have this car and not an S-class !

Yeh, Stefanel1 is right also. Big fancy cars are not always practical, as European countries are often alot more cramped than America

Ssom
06-26-2002, 05:22 AM

Yet another uninformed and ignorant post from mister "Rich guy":rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Italy, like mentioned, is not Europe, in Italy all they seem to drive is FIAT Pandas or Punto's, but that is nuttty Itallians for you, but go to Switzerland, France or the UK and see just how superior these cars are to the shit-box trucks and American made shit (Or barstardised Jappers) that are North America, cars like Peugeot's, Smart's, Alfa Romeo's, Citroen's, Renaults, Rover's and Volkswagens come out in force in Europe and even smaller BMW's and Merc's, which make for a far more interesting trip down their fabulous roads (If we forget Portugal)

Of course Europe is not the onl place they are buying small, New Zealand is another place that has sorta-turned to small-cars, even if we still buy our Maxima's, Falcons and Commodores in force, slaes for cars like the Mondeo, Echo, 2O6, Golf, Polo, Stilo, 147, Clio, Astra, Barina and 3O7 to name a few have begun to skyrocket, which makes my trip's that little more interesting, now I have my balance of Japper's and Euro's

gang$tarr
06-26-2002, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Pennzoil GT-R

i think that by going to italy you may have been in the wrong country to see more fancy cars.

I've also been in England (London), France and switzerland.
I know it's not as bad there

I'm just used to the way roads and cars are here.
people have different opinions it's not a big deal

Fliquer
06-26-2002, 03:16 PM
When I went to switzerland, there were twice as many audis as there were Mercs and Beemers. Plenty of big jags in london too.

Pennzoil GT-R
06-26-2002, 03:47 PM
yeh, u get loads of the british cars like jags and range rovers in britain. Anyone with any kinda money in England seems to have a Range Rover

crayzayjay
06-27-2002, 12:47 PM

one word: BULL
spend a day in london and you'll see so much exotica you'll want to live there forever

gang$tarr
06-27-2002, 03:33 PM

spend a day in london and you'll see so much exotica you'll want to live there forever

Well I did and I didn't see that much "exotica"

I see more here, not counting the 100s of boxsters driving around

Have you ever been to New York, L.A. or any cities in the U.S.?

Pennzoil GT-R
06-27-2002, 03:51 PM

Well I did and I didn't see that much "exotica"

I see more here, not counting the 100s of boxsters driving around

Have you ever been to New York, L.A. or any cities in the U.S.?

i think what kind of cars you see depends on the areas you go to. same as any city, if you go to East London for example, you will not see anything special, but if you go to Hyde Park, Knightsbridge, Chelsea etc. there are Porsches, Ferraris, etc. everywhere you look. From what i have seen of the US, the same is true over there

gang$tarr
06-27-2002, 04:21 PM

i think what kind of cars you see depends on the areas you go to. same as any city, if you go to East London for example, you will not see anything special, but if you go to Hyde Park, Knightsbridge, Chelsea etc. there are Porsches, Ferraris, etc. everywhere you look. From what i have seen of the US, the same is true over there

That's very true, I was only in London for a little while and mostly just in the downtown areas. We stayed at the Westbury hotel, there were a few nice cars there.

I'm not saying there aren't any nice cars, I just dont think there are more.

I know the roads are horrible for exotics in Europe though (not all the roads) but for the most part. Maybe people just dont drive them as much as they do here?

Pennzoil GT-R
06-27-2002, 04:36 PM

That's very true, I was only in London for a little while and mostly just in the downtown areas. We stayed at the Westbury hotel, there were a few nice cars there.

I'm not saying there aren't any nice cars, I just dont think there are more.

I know the roads are horrible for exotics in Europe though (not all the roads) but for the most part. Maybe people just dont drive them as much as they do here?

If you ever come to England again then you should visit Alderley Edge near Manchester. This is the richest area in England, and probably every 1 out of 3 cars you see are in the £50-100,000 or above price range. its like a different world there.

you are probably right in saying there are not more, but there are the same amount of exotics in europe as america. europes roads are not suited to exotics, so alot of people who have them keep them locked away for weekends etc. and use little cars to go to work during the week, hence why dont see them unless you live here full time.

gang$tarr
06-27-2002, 05:46 PM

If you ever come to England again then you should visit Alderley Edge near Manchester. This is the richest area in England, and probably every 1 out of 3 cars you see are in the £50-100,000 or above price range. its like a different world there.

you are probably right in saying there are not more, but there are the same amount of exotics in europe as america. europes roads are not suited to exotics, so alot of people who have them keep them locked away for weekends etc. and use little cars to go to work during the week, hence why dont see them unless you live here full time.

Yeah, you're right.
I'm sure there are nice areas with really nice cars in every country.
I guess some of those little cars a saw driving around had sister Ferraris sitting in the garage

I guess people would just rather buy a small car for the city, and nice cars for the weekends in europe.
While here people would rather buy a bigger luxury cruiser for everyday
I think our roads are more suited for for that.

So how do the sales for S-Class Mercedes and other large cars go in Europe? because I see them here everyday, but when I went there I didn't see many (if any, i don't remember)

Pennzoil GT-R
06-27-2002, 06:01 PM

So how do the sales for S-Class Mercedes and other large cars go in Europe? because I see them here everyday, but when I went there I didn't see many (if any, i don't remember)

The S-class has really took off. They are everywhere, even in the not so good areas. All the directors seem to have them. 7 series arent so common, and Audi A8's arent either. I think the S-class has pretty much flooded the luxury market in Europe

Ssom
06-28-2002, 02:41 AM

Someone obviously has not been to Monte Carlo and ridden in a BMW 540i taxi:rolleyes:

Stefanel1
06-28-2002, 03:30 AM
In a 540i Taxi ???? I know sby who has a 540 and if a taxidriver has that, he will banquerouted ! He must have a gazoil 5 series, a 520d, 525d or 530d : there are many in Europe because of the price of the gas !
The S-Class are good sold (many in Paris, but not in the "poor" parts !). The new serie 7 starts well. But again, people who have these cars will use smaller cars (the best example is the Audi S3) to drive in Paris and suburbs : more "fun" to drive, more agility, and in Paris you have to drive not slow, not like in the US, that's a big difference.
An example to end : my neibours have an Audi A6 Avant, a Z3 and a Peugeot 206 S16 : they use the Peugeot to work !

gang$tarr
06-28-2002, 03:22 PM

in Paris you have to drive not slow, not like in the US, that's a big difference.
An example to end : my neibours have an Audi A6 Avant, a Z3 and a Peugeot 206 S16 : they use the Peugeot to work !

That's the difference, here people would have the Z3 for fun on weekends, then drive the A6 daily. We need a big comfortable luxury cruiser for everyday to get to work :)

Moss: I went to Monaco last spring break (March), I was talking about that place. Monaco is like a country for the rich, right when we got to our hotel there was a Ferrari 550 in front, and a Rolls-Royce parked. I didn't know it was going to be like that, my mouth dropped.

NSX-R-SSJ20K
06-28-2002, 03:25 PM
none they suck

Ssom
06-28-2002, 06:32 PM
In a 540i Taxi ???? I know sby who has a 540 and if a taxidriver has that, he will banquerouted ! He must have a gazoil 5 series, a 520d, 525d or 530d : there are many in Europe because of the price of the gas !
The S-Class are good sold (many in Paris, but not in the "poor" parts !). The new serie 7 starts well. But again, people who have these cars will use smaller cars (the best example is the Audi S3) to drive in Paris and suburbs : more "fun" to drive, more agility, and in Paris you have to drive not slow, not like in the US, that's a big difference.

On the Taxi, it did present a case of supsision for me as well, despite the badging, it lacked some pure V8 grunt, who ever knew that taxi's would be affected by the ricer bug as well:D :D

G$: Why is it that North Americans have such a fixation on big cars????

But G$ while you make a good point, the roads of Europe are narrow compared to the US and it is a pain in the ass to navigate a big car through them, still I don't know why Stephanel's nieghbours would own an A6 AND a 2O6, I mean why what purpose does thier A6 serve if it isn't daily driven or a weekend fun car????:confused:

NSX-R-SSJ20K: shut the hell up, you live in Texas, where all the cars the people drive are SUV's and pick-up trucks and I think they suck so :finger4: until you have driven at least ONE of these cars stay the hell away from this thread

gang$tarr
06-28-2002, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Moss1O6GTi

G$: Why is it that North Americans have such a fixation on big cars????

But G$ while you make a good point, the roads of Europe are narrow compared to the US and it is a pain in the ass to navigate a big car through them, still I don't know why Stephanel's nieghbours would own an A6 AND a 2O6, I mean why what purpose does thier A6 serve if it isn't daily driven or a weekend fun car????:confused:

I dunno, I think it's because we have big roads and we need cars that fill them lol :)

I think cars are getting smaller here, not counting SUVs ;)

Honda Civics are the best selling cars, but it doesn't get any smaller than that.

I can see how it would be a pain in the ass to drive around a big car in europe though, so I guess it would make sense to have a small car in the city.

I saw alot of those Mercedes A-Class cars last time I was in Europe, I guess some of those people have the better cars sitting at home.

Seems to suit the European needs perfectly
That car would not do well in North America though, that's for sure.

hermunn123
06-29-2002, 12:09 AM
speaking of the A-Class, i saw one a couple months ago. i have no idea why it was in southern texas. it did have european plates though. i did a double-take and then realized it was an A-Class.

crayzayjay
06-29-2002, 10:02 AM
It's absolute crap to say that Europe's roads arent suited to exotics and the US's are. Twisty mountain roads, found pretty much in every European country are where you want to drive your supercar, not highways.

Its the same in any big city. Driving a supercar/exotic car is just not appropriate, whether its the US or UK. WHat happens in London is that people buy these cars anyway because its obviously a very wealthy city

Fliquer
06-29-2002, 12:26 PM
We like *our* big cars because they're cheap, comfy, and easy to drive. With us, driving is a chore. If we had it our way, driving to work would require no more effort than an automatic toilet.

Plus we're a huge country with long, wide highways. If you lived in new york and wanted to visit you're relatives in L.A. what would use to get there? A crown victoria or a GTI? (and the vic only costs about $2000 more).

Pennzoil GT-R
06-29-2002, 03:39 PM
when i say that europe's roads arent suited to exotics i mean:

the cars are too much of a handful for everyday use on the small windy roads that are so common in europe, but european roads ARE perfect if you want to have some fun every so often

gang$tarr
06-29-2002, 05:20 PM
It's absolute crap to say that Europe's roads arent suited to exotics and the US's are. Twisty mountain roads, found pretty much in every European country are where you want to drive your supercar, not highways.

Its the same in any big city. Driving a supercar/exotic car is just not appropriate, whether its the US or UK. WHat happens in London is that people buy these cars anyway because its obviously a very wealthy city

What?! Every single person I've talked to from Europe has told me that their roads are not very good, especially for low cars.
Not every road, but alot of them.

Whenever people visit here from Europe they say our roads are really smooth and wide compared to theirs which are less maintained and rather bumpy in the cities.

I'm not saying that all the roads in Europe are bad, but I've drivin there and it's not as easy as in the U.S. I can see how you would rather have a higher, smaller car to get around in the city.

People here will drive their exotics anywhere, cause the roads are pretty open everywhere (except for traffic)
I see more in big cities than any other places.

I think it's more of an ego thing here though, a rich guy with a Ferrari won't drive in his eyes, a cheap little car. He'll cruise to work in his 750iL or S500. Then take out his Ferrari when it's sunny and warm out.

Most people here just want to be comfortable, you don't want to be stuck in traffic or driving a long distance in a little car. You would rather be in a roomy car, with comfortable leather seats, and all the luxuries, like somebody mentioned before.

Pennzoil GT-R
06-29-2002, 06:05 PM
by saying europes roads are not suited to exotics i mean that the cars are a handful for every day use on the twisty roads, but the roads are perfect for occasional use

Jimster
06-29-2002, 09:05 PM
...deleted...

crayzayjay
06-30-2002, 08:26 AM
gang$tarr>

First of all we have to establish whether exotics are made to be driven in the city or on twisty roads. Here in the Uk the roads in major cities, though overcrowded are perfectly smooth to drive on. Dont be fooled into thinking everyone drives a hatchback, there are thousands of people who cruise to work in their beemers, mercs, porsches etc at an average speed of 5-6 mph. There are also many bendy roads around here to drive your fast car on, which unless ive lost my mind is what they were meant for in the first place. Track days are becoming more and more popular, with an increasing number of people buying an out-and-out racer to take on the track at weekends. this is why im saying theres a greater variety, if not in numbers (who knows) of exotics in the UK than ive seen anywhere else.

Pennzoil>
by saying europes roads are not suited to exotics i mean that the cars are a handful for every day use on the twisty roads, but the roads are perfect for occasional use
I dont really agree with that. First of all no one really drives flat out in their exotic on these twisties EVERY DAY, and when they decide to put their foot down they're driving the car like its meant to be drive. Even supercars nowadays are relatively easy to drive on ANY ROAD (if youre not pushing) so i think the roads in the UK at least are perfectly suited to them.

But G$ is right a majority of the cars here in Italy are FIAT Panda's and hatchbacks, but there are a few nice Lancia's, Maserati's and Ferrari's here and there

I dont think that many people who live in the States appreciate small cars. Ok, leaving out the panda there are very many hatchbacks that would teach some of the American manufacturers a thing or two about making cars

Add your comment to this topic!