Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Lazy 1995 Sub.

suburban
01-10-2004, 04:05 AM
My 95 Sub, with 5,7l vin K engine is lazy. Starts easy enough, and idles ok. When driving, it hardly delivers any power at all. Sluggish throttle respons, frequnt gear changes and runs on high rpm (1500 - 2000) even on flat highways. Any ideas, anyone?

wagntwister
01-10-2004, 05:38 AM
I had the same problem with mine and it did not set the ses light off but I was still able to check the codes and found a bad T.P.S.

suburban
01-10-2004, 02:32 PM
Thank you.
Is there any way to find those codes without special equiptment?

blueburbboober
01-11-2004, 01:47 PM
good luck, mine has same problems. no codes stored, and mechanics dont think anything is wrong. when i have time im gonna rebuild the intake, replace the fuel pressure regulator, and put in a spacer on the throttle body

-Rob

ps. if you figure out whats causeing the problem, lemme know. maybe its something i can try

ntwperformance
01-11-2004, 02:06 PM
take both of these vehicles and have a fuel injection cleaning (call around and find a shop that uses the SUN CARBON CLEAN machine ) this equipment is the best fuel system cleang equipment on market.this should work.

jimh
01-11-2004, 07:46 PM
I started having POOR acceleration, wouldn't shift until RPMs went haigher than should. Idled OK. Replaced CAT converter 'cause it sounded like it was falling apart inside and thought it might be clogged. No better acceleration. Decided to put a $6 fuel filter on just because I like to start with cheaper items. Works like a champ. '95, 350 with 140K and I'm sure it was original filter. Worth the money (I had to buy a 5/8" flare nut wrench to get the old filter off, rusted at the nuts ($14 at Sears)). Good Luck, Jim

suburban
01-31-2004, 08:53 AM
I had quite a few small problems that added up to loss of power.
1. I found two def. spark plugg wires, that caused missfiring in humid weather. Replaced
2. Defec. airfilter housing thermostat. Replaced
3. Partially clogged fuelfilter. Replaced
4. Def. oxygen sensor. Replaced
All of the above resulted in a dammaged/clogged cathalytic converter.

I replaced the oxygen sens. one year ago, but it had allready done some damage to the cat.conv. Combined with some missfiring caused by def. spark. cabl. and def air filter therm., the cat.conv. gradually become totaly blocked. In pure desperation I drilled a lot of holes in the cat.conv., and suddenly I`ve got some power back. I have now replaced the conv. , and all of my 190+ hp is back, and fuel consumption is normal.
I hope this can give you som help. My lesson is that small proplems needs fixing rigth away, or the will over some time cause something bad to happend.

Svein Erik

good luck, mine has same problems. no codes stored, and mechanics dont think anything is wrong. when i have time im gonna rebuild the intake, replace the fuel pressure regulator, and put in a spacer on the throttle body

-Rob

ps. if you figure out whats causeing the problem, lemme know. maybe its something i can try

blueburbboober
02-05-2004, 02:17 PM
airfilter housing thermostat? wanna elaborate? if its cheap maybe ill try it. maybe thats my prob. ive replaced just about everything else. im pretty desperate. i still havent found time to rebuild my intake, and now ill be set back more, my radiator is cracked. GRRRR.

-Rob

suburban
02-05-2004, 04:02 PM
airfilter housing thermostat? wanna elaborate? if its cheap maybe ill try it. maybe thats my prob. ive replaced just about everything else. im pretty desperate. i still havent found time to rebuild my intake, and now ill be set back more, my radiator is cracked. GRRRR.

-Rob
Airfilter housing thermostat (it might not be the correct english name for this gizmo) is placed inside the inlet on the airfilter housing, and controlls the air temprature in your intake by balancing hot air from around the exhaust manifold, and cool ambient air. Its just a bimetal thermostat without any feedback, so its quite cheep. It cost 35 dollars up here in freezing Norway.
I do not think this alone will give you big problems, unless its stuck in hot air pos. On my car it was just one more anomality that together with the rest added up to loss of power. Bad luck with your radiator.
All in all I have had a totally troublefree(with the exeption of the cat conv.) ownership of my Burb. Great car for long distance cruising, and king of winter roads.

Svein Erik

Add your comment to this topic!