Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

91 accord... worth the price?

SenseiAccord
01-10-2004, 01:00 AM
I want to know if u guys think it is worth the price. Remember now i am on a budget too.

91 ex 2 dr.
stock motor with 18xxxx miles on it. Might not have been rebuilt
5spd
Repainted is grey
CF hood
rims
basic IHE (Intake header exhaust)
air sus. i think.
body kit
no problems yet.

$5000

U guys think it is worth it because it looks pimp and of course i am a big fan of accords. I talk to the guy and he said he doesnt know if the motor has been rebuilt because he bought it from somebody in the mainland (im in hawaii) w/ 14xxxx miles on it. The guy i talked to sounds pretty legit so yea... kelly blue book is like $4900 or something with low mileage, excellent condition blah blah blah. think it is worth it?

Also how much do you guys think it would cost to rebuild the engine plus labor since i dont know how to do that stuff just yet unless i tell my friend to do it if he wants to.

93accordEX
01-10-2004, 02:45 PM
no, but the pricing may be different in hawaii. I would be happy to get 5k for my 93 ex with h22 swap and much more. if you want it though and can't find a better deal then I say go for it.

jajimo
01-10-2004, 06:14 PM
I would not say it is worth it. I got my 94 Accord EX sedan for under $5000 and it only had 120k on it. Unfortunately, since you are in Hawaii, shipping costs are probably astronomical. The thing to remember is that it's almost 13 years old now, and probably isn't going to be very fast, and you may have problems with it that you wouldn't with a newer car. It is a Honda, however, so you won't run into as many problems as if you were buying, say, a 91 Dodge Caravan.

If the weather is good year round, you're in decent physical shape, don't need to carry a whole lot of stuff with you, than I'd say buy a sports bike. This will also depend on your age, however. Insurance will be high if you're really young, though. That was the reason I didn't buy one. A used YZF-600R will probably cost you $3200 - $4000. Throw in gear and you're at about $5000. You'll save a lot on gas and if you decide to race, you could probably beat most cars without a problem. I'm assuming that you have gone this long without a car and have friends who can help you transport big loads.

If you do decide to buy the car, inspect it FULLY. Wear some crappy clothes and crawl under it, inspect the exhaust system, get a good look at the engine and all its parts. Check out the suspension, axles, etc. If you don't trust yourself to do this, hire someone you trust to do it for you. Goodluck!

---------------
Rebuild your engine? That depends on how you want to rebuild it. If you want to make it a full on race engine (new cams, new head, new cylinders, new intake manifold, etc) than you're looking at quite a bit of money to replace all those things with performance parts. Hell, even replacing them with stock parts will probably cost you a pretty penny. Including labor? You may end up spending the same to do this as you did to buy the car.

Maple50175
01-11-2004, 02:12 AM
Rebuild a honda engine? LOL they last forever silly

JoeK
01-14-2004, 10:34 AM
There is no way this is worth the price. After 13 years, you could be looking, in the near future, at brakes, cv joints, struts - all because of age. Honda recommends changing the timing belt after 60-90K or after 36 months; so it has to be serviced. You will be very sorry if it breaks.

I picked up a 92 Accord for $500 and it's a money pit even thought I do the work myself. Higher mileage yes, but the chassis components require most of the work. Because of the age of the car, everything has to be heated to be taken off or it breaks. I just had to replace the front springs because they broke from age. After I did that, it was fine until a fuel line let go. Every month, something new goes.

Don't spend $5000 on a 1991.

Engine rebuilds - I'm not sure on Hondas. Rebuilds are usually agout $1500 - $2000 if the engine is out and taken to the machine shop. I don't know how much it would cost to take the engine out since I do that myself.

Good luck.

I want to know if u guys think it is worth the price. Remember now i am on a budget too.

91 ex 2 dr.
stock motor with 18xxxx miles on it. Might not have been rebuilt
5spd
Repainted is grey
CF hood
rims
basic IHE (Intake header exhaust)
air sus. i think.
body kit
no problems yet.

$5000

U guys think it is worth it because it looks pimp and of course i am a big fan of accords. I talk to the guy and he said he doesnt know if the motor has been rebuilt because he bought it from somebody in the mainland (im in hawaii) w/ 14xxxx miles on it. The guy i talked to sounds pretty legit so yea... kelly blue book is like $4900 or something with low mileage, excellent condition blah blah blah. think it is worth it?

Also how much do you guys think it would cost to rebuild the engine plus labor since i dont know how to do that stuff just yet unless i tell my friend to do it if he wants to.

avpart3
01-14-2004, 12:02 PM
a 91' aint' worth that price fa sho. IN 1999 I bought a '87 accord for $2500. so imagine what its worth now. Time is the factor now with that car. Even if the engine and Tranny are good you are gonna still have to come out your pockets one way or another for repairs.

whyte Gsr b0i
01-16-2004, 11:12 PM
nope nope 3500.. would be about all i'd put in it..

Pajarito
10-13-2004, 09:30 PM
haha not to be a dick but i got my 92 accord for $175 with nothing wrong with it i love my car love the way it looks and man it was a good price

AccordCodger
10-13-2004, 10:02 PM
Maybe (and congratulations) -- but that's hardly typical.

Huffa
10-14-2004, 06:43 AM
Like JoeK said...it could need a lot of things.
Timing belt job your talkng almost 200 alone in parts if you replace ALL that should be along with the belt. Don't do it yourself & your up to at least 5 bills if not more.

CV joints usually go by then. Oil pan gasket leaks. Exhaust needs works. Ignition switch goes & main relay + some of the motor mounts go bad. A car with those extras on it I'm sure has not been babied which is a NEGATIVE on it as far as resale.

A STOCK Honda in reality is worth MORE up to a point then one thats been modified.

Just seems you don't know enough about the history on it which is a BIG negative!!

That car is no way fetching 4900 blue book. More like 25-3000 for a STOCK Honda and thats one in very good condition.

Check out ebay to get more of a idea what they are going for.

http://motors.listings.ebay.com/Honda_Accord_W0QQsacategoryZ6254QQsocmdZListingIte mListQQsocolumnlayoutZ3QQsocomparecolumnlayoutZ1QQ sorecordsperpageZ50QQsosortorderZ2QQsosortproperty Z2QQsotimeZ1QQsotrZ1

I just bought a 91 SE from neighbor that had most things fixed that go wrong with them with age and paid 1300 for it.

Didn't drive it much at all because she has no record of the belt being change and with 170,000 on it, it needs to be done.

Thats how I know parts are close to 200...I just bought them.

I'd say get a STOCK one from someone that knows the COMPLETE history of it. You should be able to find a nice one for 3000 I'll bet!!

If you REALLY like this car though find out EVERY possible thing maintinence wise that was done to it!! Maybe you can even get the phone # of the previous owner? I'd know I'd give it a try!

Huffa
10-14-2004, 06:58 AM
Here is what an excellent condition 91 SE goes for in my area.

Engine: 4-Cyl. 2.2 Liter
Trans: Automatic
Drive: Front Wheel Drive
Mileage: 180,000

Equipment
Air Conditioning
Power Steering
Power Windows
Power Door Locks
Tilt Wheel
Cruise Control
AM/FM Stereo
Cassette
Premium Sound
ABS (4-Wheel)
Leather
Moon Roof
Alloy Wheels

Consumer Rated Condition: Excellent
"Excellent" condition means that the vehicle looks great, is in excellent mechanical condition and needs no reconditioning. It should pass a smog inspection. The engine compartment should be clean, with no fluid leaks. The paint is glossy and the body and interior are free of any wear or visible defects. There is no rust. The tires are the proper size and match and are new or nearly new. A clean title history is assumed. This is an exceptional vehicle.

Private Party Value Search Local Listings for This Car $2,965
Private Party value represents what you might expect to pay for a used car when purchasing from a private party. It may also represent the value you might expect to receive when selling your own used car to another private

henrymv
10-14-2004, 07:21 AM
NO way is it worth it...Blue Book value on the car is under 2500....even in Hawai'i I got my 4th gen. accord for 1600 with 180,000 miles on it and it was in excellent condition....

AccordCodger
10-14-2004, 08:11 AM
Whoa, guys! This thread was started in JANUARY.

I doubt he's still sitting pondering whether to buy the car!

henrymv
10-14-2004, 08:19 AM
I have a feeling he bought it! LOL

Add your comment to this topic!