Lights are flickering????

kyleo51
01-10-2004, 12:11 AM
I have a 2001 aurora, and every morning, on my way to work, and all the time for that matter, my headlights and interior lights flicker. I don't know what the problem is? I've had load test done on the battery and alternator at three different shops, nothing comes up? When the car sits idling, the voltage stays at about 15, but as soon as i start driving ,the voltage starts fluctuating from like 15 all the way down to 11.6 and stuff! For the most part it will ride down around 13 or so, until i stop or whatever? But like i said, i've had the alternator and stuff tested THREE times, and nothing at either of the three places? Anyone have any problem like this, or anyone can help me with this? It's not a big deal, it's just aggrevating to see your lights keep flickering all the time!! So if ya can help with idea's or cures, please let me know! Thanks again

Indy8
01-10-2004, 02:57 AM
Was the alternator output checked only? What about the voltage regulator at various speeds?

kyleo51
01-10-2004, 04:39 PM
I don't know for sure if they checked the voltage regulator or not? they just said they checked the alternator, and i don't know if with the voltage regulator being inside the alternator if they just didn't think about testing it or what, so i don't really know

auroradream
01-11-2004, 06:54 PM
If you search the archives there is another thread where someone mentioned this problem.

I have the same problem in mine (2001 Aurora, 4.0). I watched the voltmeter on the DIC and it starts at about 15.1, then randomly drops and rises. When the voltmeter goes below 12.0V, a "charging circuit problem" diagnostic trouble code appears. I saw as low as 11.3V. I tried changing the engine RPM to see how the voltage was affected, but there didn't seem to be a relationship to RPM.

I notice this at night, when I have my headlights on. It happened about three times in a period of 30 days or so. I'm going to connect a real voltmeter next ride and see how it fluctuates.

This seems to be a common problem, and if we can solve it on this forum, many owners may benefit.

Carl

ysutimmah
11-16-2005, 04:12 PM
Has anyone figured this out yet? I'm been searching, but I haven't found the answer.

Davez69gto
11-17-2005, 07:20 PM
Umm I had a similar problem in my Fiero. I know the cars are nothing alike but i had the exact same problem. What i was told was that i had a dead diode in my altinator. Try this sit in park and rev the engine while your lights are on Flicker????. This was a problem in mine. Since I had an older car i got an alt from ebay and ever since the problem has been solved no flickering at all. They may not have noticed the problem with the alt because they didn't take it off the car to test if. The usual i think is ran at idle were you won't really notice the flicker. I would ask the shop about this because i know that flicker is really a pain and i was really glad when mine was fixed.

DonSor
11-17-2005, 07:44 PM
Sounds like you're getting intermittent short/s or high resistance in your electrical system probably in the accessory circuit. Do your lights flicker with your car parked and the egine running, or only when you're driving. At this point I don't think that the alternator or the battery is the problem. You will need the schematic diagrom and start isolating loads section at a time.

kmcor
02-26-2006, 05:19 PM
I have a 2001 aurora, and every morning, on my way to work, and all the time for that matter, my headlights and interior lights flicker. I don't know what the problem is? I've had load test done on the battery and alternator at three different shops, nothing comes up? When the car sits idling, the voltage stays at about 15, but as soon as i start driving ,the voltage starts fluctuating from like 15 all the way down to 11.6 and stuff! For the most part it will ride down around 13 or so, until i stop or whatever? But like i said, i've had the alternator and stuff tested THREE times, and nothing at either of the three places? Anyone have any problem like this, or anyone can help me with this? It's not a big deal, it's just aggrevating to see your lights keep flickering all the time!! So if ya can help with idea's or cures, please let me know! Thanks again

I have a 2001 and have had the same problem with lights flickering. One morning I got in to go and everything was dead. Turned out that positive terminal on the battery had completely corroded away. It broke away from the battery when I started to loosen it. I replaced with new battery and all is OK.

trcape
03-02-2006, 09:32 PM
I had a similar problem with my 96 Aurora. I was told that I needed a new multi-function switch (AKA malfunction-switch). My mechanic cleaned my old one when he replaced my ignition switch (another problem) and that corrected it. A multi-function switch costs around $250 plus labor.

apostolakisl
03-07-2006, 12:07 AM
I have a similar problem with my 01 3.5, though not as severe. It has been going on since the day I bought the car and the dealer never found anything wrong. It has stayed the same and has never really been a problem for more than 70,000 miles. I have seen other threads with the same story. I only notice it at night and I see a slight drop in headlight intensity for a split second. The voltage reading on the DIC doesn't change as I assume it recovers too quickly for it to register.

phewop118
03-07-2006, 07:42 PM
That problem you just mentioned is common to all 01 3.5's, as they're alternator has a design flaw. GM replaced the alternator for 02 and have a replacement part for the 01's. I think some aftermarket companies sell them too.

Add your comment to this topic!