95 dual heating climate control problem

aarcuda
01-09-2004, 01:59 PM
I have the 95 park ave with the dual circuit heater/AC climate control system (i.e., the drivers side and passenger side can blow out different temperatures). I believe this is called the C61 system.

When the car is first started, the temperature display on the control panel begins to flash after about 20 seconds and then stops flashing after 10 seconds later.

The passenger side will blow out cold air (doesnt matter where you set the temperature to) while the drivers side is fully adjustable.

I can manually force the air blend door on top of the heater box to the right to get warm air out but the HVAC controller doesnt control it correctly.

Took the car to the dealer and they said no codes were saved in the computer.

Is this a HVAC computer proble (big bucks), A control panel problem (smaller bucks) or a sensor problem. I know these cars have sensors on top of the dash to tell the HVAC computer whether or not the sun is shining on one side of the car or the other (and thereby adjusting the outlet air temp accordingly).

All the buttons work on the control panel except the passenger side stays COLD (unless forced).

Is there a test I can perform? I have the Factory service manual.

marc0045
01-11-2004, 11:44 AM
I have the same exact problem with my car. Did you ever get a reply or figure it out? PLease let me know!

aarcuda
01-12-2004, 08:43 AM
No answer yet. I am thinking it is the HVAC computer but for $360, I hoping to get a more definitive answer. I can't find a computer anywhere in the local (or internet search) junkyards.

marc0045
01-12-2004, 10:09 PM
I went to move the air blend door lever on mine but it would not budge. I had to disconnect the linkage in order to move the door. I'm thinking of just leaving it like that until spring but if I find anything out, I'll let you know.

aarcuda
01-13-2004, 08:19 AM
well if your linkage wouldn't move but the door itself would with the linkage disconnected, then you probably have a problem with the actuator. Thats about a $60 part at the dealer. I took mine off and disassembled it because it had a slightly sticky point in the travel. I found one of the gears inside it had broken.

Unfortunately for me, I dont think this is my problem tho. My door moves back and forth through control by the computer, it just doesnt seem to be moving to the right place.

Its as if the computer is telling it to go to the wrong place. So one could say right off the top that it is the computer thats bad. but i think it could also be either the panel controller (telling it to be cool on the passenger side) or one of the sun sensors on the top of the dash (telling the computer that it is blistering hot on the passenger side so it blows out cold air on that side).

Another effect is that if the car is warmed up and then I stop it for a couple of minutes and then restart it, it initially blows out really hot air for a minute of so and then the drivers side seems to blow out the correct temp while the passenger side blows out cold air.

J J
01-13-2004, 02:13 PM
I have the 95 park ave with the dual circuit heater/AC climate control system (i.e., the drivers side and passenger side can blow out different temperatures). I believe this is called the C61 system.

When the car is first started, the temperature display on the control panel begins to flash after about 20 seconds and then stops flashing after 10 seconds later.

The passenger side will blow out cold air (doesnt matter where you set the temperature to) while the drivers side is fully adjustable.

I can manually force the air blend door on top of the heater box to the right to get warm air out but the HVAC controller doesnt control it correctly.

Took the car to the dealer and they said no codes were saved in the computer.

Is this a HVAC computer proble (big bucks), A control panel problem (smaller bucks) or a sensor problem. I know these cars have sensors on top of the dash to tell the HVAC computer whether or not the sun is shining on one side of the car or the other (and thereby adjusting the outlet air temp accordingly).

All the buttons work on the control panel except the passenger side stays COLD (unless forced).

Is there a test I can perform? I have the Factory service manual.

I had the same problem with my 95 PA. It was the air blend door motor. Took it to an independent shop that services air conditioning, and had it fixed. Cost was less than $200

aarcuda
01-14-2004, 08:15 AM
I will replace the blend door actuator but I have a feeling it is something more sinister.

JJ, were your symptoms exactly like mine???

J J
01-14-2004, 06:57 PM
basically they were. Temp would flash for a few secs, then drivers side would work fine with the controls, but pasenger side blew full blown HOT air all the time with no control of the temp at all. Dealer wanted to do all kinds of work!!! took it to an independent auto shop that works on ac. They did a great job. Right before I sold it however, it developed another problem. Temp would flash if it was cold in the car it would blow cold air, if it was hot outside it would blow hot air. Once flashing stopped, system worked perfectly. GO figure!!!!

Flatrater
01-14-2004, 09:06 PM
If the light is flashing it means you have a problem! I cannot tell you what is worng unless I run tests on the car anything else would be guessing.

On another note if you can move the actuator, then it is bad. You should never be able to force the actuator and have it move.

Everything you listed I have seen go bad over the years. But I can tell yuo the most common part I changed is the programmer then the actuators.

homerhank
01-15-2004, 11:16 PM
It took Me six hours of being upside down looking under the dash but I found that I could move the temp actuator. I replaced and no problems since. I drove around 3 weeks with a stocking hat.

aarcuda
01-16-2004, 08:24 AM
Well, my actuator moves as easy as can be so I will try replacing that first and I'll post back the results. I really hope it is only the $60 actuator versus the $300 hvac computer!!

homerhank
01-16-2004, 12:17 PM
The actuator I replaced cost $35. It took along time, because I had to take apart the whole dash. At a garage it would of been very costly.

aarcuda
01-16-2004, 12:22 PM
The actuator that I need, for the blend door, is easily accessible through the glove compartment door.

The actuator, pn 16141822 lists for $54.61 at GM or I can get it for $27.30 plus shipping (total $35.25) from gm-partsdirect

vinceleto
01-16-2004, 04:51 PM
My Father has a similar problem. Heat blows out on the driver side and cold on the passenger side but not always sometimes lukewarm but never hot on the passenger side. Always correct on the Driver side. The temp gauge blinks like you said.
The dealer said they would change the heater programer and one of the
actuators. The part is $498 about $370 if you buy it anywhere else. The total job would have been $900 and change at the dealer. A bit cheaper if you can find someone else who knows what there doing because you can buy the part cheaper.
I could care less if GM went out of business tommorow and would not be suprised if they do.
Further you can't buy a rebuilt programer yet because they don't offer one from 95 on, so they could get you just that much more.

oztotl
01-31-2004, 01:38 AM
Give this a try!

-Turn the ignition switch on, but don't start the car.
-Hit the OFF button twice on the climate control.
-Turn the ignition switch off and wait 30 seconds.
-Turn the ignition switch back on again, but still don't start the car.
-Wait 3 minutes before starting the car and trying out the climate control.

That's it.

Let me know if this works for you.
oz

aarcuda
02-04-2004, 08:25 AM
Darn, it didnt work.

It has to be the hvac computer. I say this because during the two or 3 minutes after starting the car, the blend doord move one way and then the other so they do move but that they move to the wrong position for heating (air flow position ie defrost, floor etc are correct)

The only other cheap solution I can think of is that one of the sensors is bad and that it is tell the hvac computer to put out the wrong air temp out the passenger side.

First I will try the blend door motor since it is only about $40 and I know the gear in there is cracked. if that doesnt work, I'll think about replacing the puter.

vinceleto
02-06-2004, 04:20 PM
Give this a try!

That's it.

oz

What is that supposed to do?

aarcuda
02-19-2004, 08:39 AM
Well I am not sure if that procedure from oztotl worked or not but my heater is starting to work correctly now.

After I performed the steps listed above, the heater was still acting the same (blow cold air on the passenger side) and continued to be screwed up until earlier this week (about 2 weeks after performing the procedure) but now it seems to work correctly.

coincidence??? I dont care.

One thing I didnt mention in my initial post was that the anomaly began happening immediately after I put a new moter in the buick. The power (battery) had been disconnected for a period of 2 or 3 weeks. perhaps this has something to do with it because a year or so ago, I changed out the altenator and also disconnected the battery and the heater screwed up then as well but self healed (although much quicker)

Dont know what it was......

vinceleto
02-20-2004, 11:49 PM
Give this a try!

That's it.

oz

Oztotl:

Is this a reprograming sequence for the unit if there is a electrical problem? Example Battery goes dead or alternator or something. Reason I ask, before the problem started for me the Starter was replaced. I wonder if there was something that could have caused a surge " I guess some fuse would have blown which it did'nt" or the battery was disconnected. Either way the repair and money have already been spent but would be good to know for the future. Any input?

lanceharrington
04-19-2004, 01:24 PM
aarcuda. Do you really have a Cuda. I restore early mustangs. 69-73. Did a 69 Mach and am working on a 71 Mach. I am working with a tech a the local Buick dealer who is selling me the 96 SC and trans plus harness and computer. I will let you know how it turns out.

aarcuda
04-19-2004, 03:48 PM
aarcuda. Do you really have a Cuda. I restore early mustangs. 69-73. Did a 69 Mach and am working on a 71 Mach. I am working with a tech a the local Buick dealer who is selling me the 96 SC and trans plus harness and computer. I will let you know how it turns out.

ya, i've owned a 70 AAR Cuda since '86. Here my 5 minute website (took me 5 minutes to make) with a front end picture of my car:

http://www.geocities.com/aarcuda72032/AAR_Cuda.html

Mach 1's are cool. I like a lot of the muscle cars from back then. I love my cuda.

I wonder, is the harness different on the SC vs. the non SC? And if so, is the inside harness different as well? I'd hate to be digging the harness out from under the dash. Its really tight in there.

Flipx99
07-17-2004, 09:04 PM
Mine does something similar but the temp never blinks. Occasionally, the vents won't blow out air. Any suggestions?

aarcuda
07-26-2004, 08:09 AM
one of the things that I found out was that my blend door actuator for the passenger side was definitely bad. I said that I could move the actuator by hand and that was because the gear that moved the rod was cracked so I could force the rod to move.

as someone else posted, you shouldnt be able to move the actuator by hand. I got a new actuator at bumper to bumper auto parts (a delco part) cheaper than from the factory and now everything is peachy keen.

mdixon
10-18-2005, 04:31 PM
Give this a try!

That's it.

oz

My 95 PA does the same thing blows hot at first flashing display and this above sequence didn't do anything that I can tell
this must be a common problem somebody must know what it is

jrasche2003
03-30-2007, 02:13 PM
You had given someone an override code for a climate control problem. I just used this on my car and it worked( my passenger controls totally dead, and of course I got hot on driver freezing on passenger) So I did your directions, and it worked, I get hot on both sides, and when I switch to A?C I also get both sides. I called a Buick Service Center and asked them what this did and they told me they never heard of such a thing. Can you tell me what I just did and how long it will last? And, how did you figure that out? Thanks!

imidazol97
03-30-2007, 03:13 PM
My Father has a similar problem. Heat blows out on the driver side and cold on the passenger side but not always sometimes lukewarm but never hot on the passenger side. Always correct on the Driver side. The temp gauge blinks like you said.
The dealer said they would change the heater programer and one of the
actuators. The part is $498 about $370 if you buy it anywhere else. The total job would have been $900 and change at the dealer. A bit cheaper if you can find someone else who knows what there doing because you can buy the part cheaper.
I could care less if GM went out of business tommorow and would not be suprised if they do.
Further you can't buy a rebuilt programer yet because they don't offer one from 95 on, so they could get you just that much more.

You might want to check prices for repairs on your Lexus and Acura first. GM is cheaper.

BNaylor
03-31-2007, 08:58 AM
Sorry guys this is an old thread. Please check the date before replying or resurrecting. Guidelines are in the link below. Thread closed.

Click here (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=635164)

Add your comment to this topic!