Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Car of the Year?

crayzayjay
01-09-2004, 09:56 AM
Thought it would be interesting to hear people's thoughts on what is the best car on sale today. It can be any type of car: performance / sedan / SUV, and sold in any market around the world.... Im asking this because the new Fiat Panda won European COTY 2004 and i find it hard to believe there's nothing out there that deserves the award more than the little Fiat, in Europe let alone the rest of the world. Any thoughts? It doesnt matter where the car is sold, just include a reason why you think it's the outstanding car of the year.

Neutrino
01-09-2004, 10:27 AM
Crap this is a hard choice....many great cars out there....I'm a bit tempted to say enzo or carrera GT but due to their exorbitant prices I'll eliminate them and choose a car that most of us can actually afford.

So I'll choose the Lancer Evolution VIII....its a practical 4 door sedan that can keep up with exotic cars down the track. That is an amazing feat

http://www.mitsubishicars.com/images/2003/evo/lancerevolution_main.jpg

mycivic
01-09-2004, 10:34 AM
toyota corolla or honda civic because it can be afforded by almost anyone, a good gas saver, great daily driver, very reliable cars. just my :2cents:

but if we are talking exotics here...id go for either the ferrari enzo, maclaren f1 or porsche carrera gt. the reasons are self explanatory.

***edit*** ow can i add on the hybrid vehicles too. honda civic hybrid and honda insight, and the toyota prius.

Neutrino
01-09-2004, 10:46 AM
toyota corolla or honda civic because it can be afforded by almost anyone, a good gas saver, great daily driver, very reliable cars. just my :2cents:

but if we are talking exotics here...id go for either the ferrari enzo, maclaren f1 or porsche carrera gt. the reasons are self explanatory.

***edit*** ow can i add on the hybrid vehicles too. honda civic hybrid and honda insight, and the toyota prius.

hey no cheating:nono:...you can have only one car

:)

mycivic
01-09-2004, 10:48 AM
hey no cheating:nono:...you can have only one car

:)

hey but they are all great cars.

in that case...am gona have to be biased then...a 2003 honda civic. :icon16:

NISSANSPDR
01-09-2004, 12:34 PM
I must also agree that I think that Evo has done alot for the car industry...I mean 271HP at 28k makes alot of other car makers have to ante up if they want to compete. Already the competition is thick at this segment w/the 350Z, S2k, STi and other sports cars around 30k w/about the same HP. It is also making future cars have to compete too...like the new '05 Mustang GT...300HP around 26k...it has to compete or it loses out.

Here's to the winner!

http://plaza.ufl.edu/nismo1/evo.jpg

mycivic
01-09-2004, 12:42 PM
is this supposed to be a car of the year in general or a specific car of the year for a specific class? i have different winners for different classes.

syr74
01-09-2004, 04:42 PM
I dunno, that is a difficult one. Sticking to 2004MY cars I would have to pick the Neon SRT4, even though I don't ever see myself buying one. With the refinements made to the car since it's introduction (quaife differential, more hp) I think it has truly come into it's own.

Personally, I am no Mopar fan. But, you have to give credit where credit is due. The SRT4 has single-handedly breathed life back into Daimler Chrysler's "American" small car line IMO. And, they didn't steal parts or a chassis from daddy-brand Mercedes to do it.

Maybe the SRT4's popularity will encourage them to make the Neon a much better car. And, that would be reason enough in itself for me to call the SRT4 car of they year.

Now, if we could just avoid all of those SRT4 vs. my uncle's JATO powered Sunbeam Tiger comparisons.

Deakins
01-09-2004, 06:05 PM
Choose one? No...

My biased 2004 awards:
MPV: Volkswagen Touran 2.0 TDi
Hatchback: Volkswagen Golf 2.0 TDi
Compact Saloon: BMW 330d
Executive Saloon: BMW 530d
Luxurious Saloon: Audi A8 W12
Sport Saloon: Audi S4 Avant
Sportscar: Lamborghini Gallardo
SUV: Volkswagen Touareg V10 TDi

Jimster
01-09-2004, 07:53 PM
I think this year, as far as innovation and all-round excellence has gone, then it's definitely the new Honda Accord (Acura TSX).

Neutrino
01-10-2004, 12:46 AM
I think this year, as far as innovation and all-round excellence has gone, then it's definitely the new Honda Accord (Acura TSX).

What about the Acura TL?(not sure of its honda equivalent). It has a 270 Hp engine, 6 speed, LSD, 4pot brembo brakes up front, and inside its the first car with DVD audio, Bluetooth compatible, voice recognition, XM satelite radio and 3D Solar Sensing, which works with the navigation system to determine the location of the sun, relative to driver and front passenger, and adjusts dual-climate settings to accommodate them.

This car is just loaded with gadgets...guess its just the Geek in me speaking :biggrin:

Twyzz
01-10-2004, 02:21 AM
SRT-4 with out a doubt. Help show the world whatt us can do with a 4 banger

quarter_mile
01-10-2004, 04:21 AM
Crap this is a hard choice....many great cars out there....I'm a bit tempted to say enzo or carrera GT but due to their exorbitant prices I'll eliminate them and choose a car that most of us can actually afford.

So I'll choose the Lancer Evolution VIII....its a practical 4 door sedan that can keep up with exotic cars down the track. That is an amazing feat

http://www.mitsubishicars.com/images/2003/evo/lancerevolution_main.jpg

^^^i'd definitely agree there for all the mentioned reasons^^^

Jimster
01-10-2004, 05:53 AM
What about the Acura TL?(not sure of its honda equivalent). It has a 270 Hp engine, 6 speed, LSD, 4pot brembo brakes up front, and inside its the first car with DVD audio, Bluetooth compatible, voice recognition, XM satelite radio and 3D Solar Sensing, which works with the navigation system to determine the location of the sun, relative to driver and front passenger, and adjusts dual-climate settings to accommodate them.

This car is just loaded with gadgets...guess its just the Geek in me speaking :biggrin:
I think it's Honda equivalent is the Inspire.

But nah, the Accord has introduced Hondas amazingly revolutionary diesel engine, given us the amazing 2.4 iVTEC (With a six speed manual in some markets) as well as that it is a seriously sexy looking number and an amazing drive. Spacious, as well, for such a small(ish) car.

And what about that advert :D:D

Neutrino
01-10-2004, 10:00 PM
I think it's Honda equivalent is the Inspire.

But nah, the Accord has introduced Hondas amazingly revolutionary diesel engine, given us the amazing 2.4 iVTEC (With a six speed manual in some markets) as well as that it is a seriously sexy looking number and an amazing drive. Spacious, as well, for such a small(ish) car.

And what about that advert :D:D

POO we never get turbo diesels here :mad: (on sedans)...it would be nice to have one of those for daily driving

crayzayjay
01-13-2004, 09:52 AM
I forgot all about this thread :D

Interesting choices... the evo VIII & srt4 seem to be getting some good support

My personal vote goes to the BMW 330d, to echo one of Deakins' many choices :p
The 204bhp diesel engine is probably the best of its kind and combined with the rest of the highly-competent 3-series package it results in (imo) the best real-world car today :)

Add your comment to this topic!