Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Turbo vs Supercharger for XF/XE

Dark Paladin
01-08-2004, 06:48 PM
Just wondering what would be better suited for an XF, possibly XE Falcon,a Turbo or a Supercharger?

I have heard that the old 4.1L 6's dont cope too well with the Turbo fan in the exhaust, but Superchargers put too much stress on the cams.

Any information would be great.

replicant_008
01-12-2004, 08:39 PM
The other thing to consider is the transmission - the 3 speed auto wasn't the most reliable of things and I lost a torque converter on mine. I think the latter XFs had a BTR 5 speed but the 4 speeder was a jemmy bar in a bucket of bolts when changing gear.

Sticking a turbo inside the engine bay does present some heat issues in the XF engine bay but you'd want a custom exhaust manifold as the stock one strangles the engine... The big cast alloy manifold on the EFI 6 is a beast of a thing and the EEC3 is not a particularly easy thing to play with.

Finally, the Alloy Head II engines were wheezy things and don't like being revved particularly hard it's pretty much all over at 4250rpm.

hutcho
01-14-2004, 06:49 AM
Why not V8 & aviod forced induction issues?? :smokin:

Strong X flow for good boost not exactly simple. :screwy:

blueovalxfboy
01-25-2004, 12:49 AM
hey guys the heads are fine u can run 10's in an xf turbo never seen a super charged xf do that lower the compressionput a new computer in and away ya go

browndog1978
04-15-2004, 06:51 AM
the first thing I would do is get rid of the 250 crossflow.

In fact I bought an XF the other day and am planning on getting a later model 6 cylinder put in, maybe from an EL

Check this page
http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=0249

Add your comment to this topic!