Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Granatelli Mass Air Flow Sensor Experience?

TXAGG05
01-08-2004, 10:26 AM
Anyone have a Granatelli MAF? What has been your experience with it? Noticeable power gain? Reliability issues?
Thanks in advance,
Jeb

The Ladies Man
01-08-2004, 11:31 AM
i have one on my 2000 gmc sierra 5.3 liter. :evillol: i bought the MAF for 269 shipped. i hould have to say for me it was sorta a waste. i have a lot of stuff done to my truck and i didn't really notice it. the only thing i noticed was that for my truck when i shift out of second at 85 my RPMs would low and it would take about 500 rpms to get back up into my powerband.. putting my MAf in helped me pick up speed at those low RPMS. i think i might put it on my buddies 1999 silverado 2500 with the 6.0. it is bone stock that way we could see if it makes any differences to his truck.

Slowprocess
01-08-2004, 11:15 PM
Don't waste the money. I purchsed one from the net and sent it back three days later. You can remove the screen out of your factory mass airflow sensor and see similar if not the same results. Just be sure when you pop out the screen, don't hit the sensors on the wires inside it. It is a very easy mod and it doesn't cost a thing.

TXAGG05
01-09-2004, 06:00 PM
Remove the screen you say?....I was thinking about doing that, but I wondered about negative side affects. No problems when you did this?
Thanks,
Jeb

Slowprocess
01-09-2004, 07:12 PM
We have at least 20 99 or newer silverados here with this mod done and have had zero bad effects. It is nothing to doing this. All you have to do is remove the maf from the intake tube You will notice The wires in the middle of the tube that hold the sensors. Put your screwdriver on the far side of the unit, without hitting these wires and give it a little pressure. The screen will easily come out. The screen is not in there tight, so it really takes no effort to make it come out. Just don't hit the sensors.

TXAGG05
01-10-2004, 12:18 AM
Thanks,...I'll do it tommorrow. Did you notice any gains to speak of? I just went from a dirty paper filter to a K&N in the factory air box and did notice a difference in throttle response.
Thanks,
Jeb

Slowprocess
01-10-2004, 12:30 AM
There is a slight feeling of increased throttle response. It lets a good bit more airflow through, light somewhere along the lines of 46%, and more airflow is always a good thing. :iceslolan Oh, and I wanted to make sure you saw this just in case you missed my other thread. Good luck with it.

http://www.sshotrods.com/performance/gmtruck/fullsize/v3xx/maf/

It shows basically how to do it in the pictures, just don't cut out the wires or hit them very hard and you will be ok.

TXAGG05
01-10-2004, 12:36 AM
Thanks again,....you're fast. I just now saw your post after I posted that last response.
Jeb

Dano2002
01-10-2004, 07:51 AM
i was wondering if you have to reprogram the computer after you take out the screen. I heard that you did. I just want to make sure be fore I take my screen out.

Thanks

Slowprocess
01-10-2004, 01:07 PM
No worries of having to reprogram. The computer will read the airflow just fine, at least it has on all of ours.( I did this mod well after I used my Superchips programmer, and had zero problems with it)

surveyor-97
01-10-2004, 09:05 PM
:grinno: You're right about this mod - It's a good one!! I pulled the screen out of my 97 5.7L this afternoon, and even with 144K miles, I still felt a considerable increase in throttle response. Thanks alot for the tip!!! I'm glad you showed-up on here!!!

Slowprocess
01-11-2004, 02:02 AM
I'm glad it worked for you. I'm always looking to help my fellow Gm guys out with more performance. Congrats. :smile:

NWChevyGuy
01-11-2004, 02:56 PM
Has anyone had a negative effect with removing the stock MAF screen? I was going to do this after reading your responces, but after talking to a buddy (Ex-GM Tech and GM Computer reprogrammer) and he said not to do it. That it would mess up my ECM calibrations and mess things up in the long run. Anyone had problems? EX: Running rich, exhaust smoke, SES light, worse milage? I'm sure the power might go up, but do any of these disadvatages occur?

Slowprocess
01-11-2004, 03:29 PM
I have 105,000 miles on my truck and never had a days problem out of it, other than the abs pump going out(knock on wood). We have many guys around here with the mod, as well as superchargers and nitrous. Most all of them are around or above 100,000 and still going strong.I'm sure it might make a slight adjustment to timing due to the extra air, but it would be so small, it isn't noticeable. So, in my opinion, I have seen this mod used by alot of people with no computer problems or engine problems.As far as long term, I would imagine that if something "bad" would happen, it would have already happened.

Sonny01
01-12-2004, 03:58 PM
I read your posts about the MAF and just want to say thank you! I installed a K&N FIPK intake and removed the screen from the MAF, mine did not want to be removed easily, and all I can say is OH MY GOSH!!! What a difference it makes. I want to do Edelbrock headers, a Gibson swept side single exhaust, and I don't know if I should get a Hypertech or a Superchips programmer. Any advice on which one is better. I already have an OBD II scanner and I know the Superchips has one also so that won't make a difference.
Thanks again for the excellant advice!
Sonny

Slowprocess
01-12-2004, 04:15 PM
Both of these programs will give you about the same results. I guess what it comes down to is price. The reason I went with Superchips is because I found a company a few years back that had a closeout on these, and I got it for $230. So, are any of these programmers better than the other one? I would probably say no. Just look around alittle bit and see which one you can get the best deal on. Both of these produce the same results.

borninski
10-03-2005, 12:55 PM
If you are allowing a lot more air because of a removed MAF screen, wouldn't your truck's ECM try to compensate for the extra air by dumping more fuel, therefore resulting in bad gas mileage?
Explain

PAC730
10-03-2005, 04:54 PM
I put in a K&N filter, and I removed the screen on the MAF. But now my "SES" light stays on and it decodes to 2 or 3 of the O2 sensors. I really wonder if my O2 senors are bad. The first time this happened all I did was install the K&N filter, put a Fram paper one back in and the "SES" light went off. Any ideas??? Thanks.------Paul

Longtalltechsan
10-17-2006, 06:38 PM
The problem could be the oil from the air filter building up on the sensor wires in the MAF. I had this problem and was reading the P0171 & P0174 codes (lean fuel mixture on both banks). I did a little reading and discovered that you buy electronics tuner cleaner from RadioShack for $10 and clean the wires by spraying the stuff in there. It worked for me. My check engine light went off immediately and has stayed off. The dealership told me I needed a new MAF or new O2 sensors. To hell with them. Also, I have dumped the K & N air filter now and have gone to a regular paper filter. I may try removing the screen though. If you remove it, can you put it back on?

Add your comment to this topic!