Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

removing CA

bergerac54
01-08-2004, 03:17 AM
Was working on a side project today (not car related) and managed to get a big CA fingerprint on a piece of textured plastic which isnt going to be painted. Can anyone tell me how to remove CA from plastic without sanding???

David_
01-08-2004, 05:03 AM
what is ca? and like..... is it moulded in? or is it just an impresion?

chrismcgee
01-08-2004, 05:17 AM
cyno acrylate (i think its spelt like that) its superglue in common terms.
you could maybe try tooth paste or automotive polishes? dont hold me to that. or 2000+ grit sand paper then spray it with clear to give it shine again

David_
01-08-2004, 05:22 AM
there should be some harsh chemical substance that could remove it... otherwise.... slowly file it away.... without ever touching the plastic, then when u get down to the end, pick it off with ur nails....

ShOrtyOC714
01-08-2004, 09:55 AM
there should be some harsh chemical substance that could remove it... otherwise.... slowly file it away.... without ever touching the plastic, then when u get down to the end, pick it off with ur nails....

Why would you want to file it when you can easily sand it off? Using a file is harder then using sandpaper, also there is a chance of messing up your model at the same time. cmon man dont tell people bad tips you used on your model that is now messed up. :disappoin

You can start from 800 Grit and work your way up to like 2000 or 3000. It should go away quickly. :smile:

cogitator56
01-08-2004, 11:48 AM
You could also try using a CA debonder. Since it disolves the CA when I accidently glue my work to my fingers, it might disolve the CA on your piece of plastic. Then you could just wipe it away without having to use an abrasive. I'd test it on some scrap plastic first though, to make sure there aren't any bad reactions.

V1nce
01-08-2004, 12:21 PM
try nail varnish remover

willimo
01-08-2004, 02:48 PM
Use any product containing Acetone. It dissolves the CA, and should remove it. Apply it sparingly, a little at a time, and it will slowly dissolve away. Don't bathe the fingerprint in the acetone, it can possibly damage the plastic. Nail polish remover contains acetone, but check the label, some of the new "softer" varieties do not.

falbert19
01-08-2004, 08:25 PM
There's a debonder called Z-7. You can find it here:http://www.micromark.com/

bergerac54
01-08-2004, 08:45 PM
Thanks guys

Murray Kish
01-09-2004, 09:59 AM
Sounds like you've got the answer already, but I'll add my thoughts anyways:
1. As mentioned, try CA debonder.
2. I've found that if you put the part in the freezer for a while, the CA will become extremely brittle. You mentioned that the part is 'textured', which makes removal a bit more difficult. But after it comes out of the freezer, try just prying the glue away with a toothpick. If you're lucky, the glue will just pop off.

Hope it works!

Murray

Add your comment to this topic!