Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

noise increase with rpms???

cx-r
01-07-2004, 10:23 PM
what could be causing an electricity like noise coming through the speakers which increases with the increase of the engine speed? could it be the position of the ground wire? when i swithc the rca jacks into the other in/out holes on the amp it goes away but only my rear speakers work then? please help, thanx, goran.

tibby01
01-08-2004, 12:41 AM
check to make sure oyu didnt run any signal wires next to power wires. they should be run down two seperate side of the car. also, check that ground wires werent pinched and are exposed when you covered them up.

starkfu
01-08-2004, 12:01 PM
ok, first did you upgrade the ground at the battery and behind your radio? if not do that.

next, where did you run RCA's even if your power is on the other side factory wires can induce noise, make sure you use quality cables.

next, check to make sure no speaker wires have exposed wire anywhere but the speaker, i have seen this cause the engine whine.

Good luck.

PaulD
01-10-2004, 12:52 AM
check to make sure oyu didnt run any signal wires next to power wires. they should be run down two seperate side of the car.

This old wives tale will never die, I guess

tibby01
01-10-2004, 01:14 AM
well, with unshielded wires it wont. even shielded wires can pick up bits of interference too.

unusualcivic
01-10-2004, 11:11 AM
MECP states that power cables, and signal cables should be a minimum of 18" apart, if running parallel to each other. If you run a signal cable across a power cable at 90 degrees, it will not pick up interference.

tran_nsx
01-10-2004, 11:23 AM
just run the power line on one side of the vehicle, and the rca's and signal on the other or through the middle, this shoud do it.

starkfu
01-10-2004, 11:57 AM
MECP states that power cables, and signal cables should be a minimum of 18" apart, if running parallel to each other. If you run a signal cable across a power cable at 90 degrees, it will not pick up interference.

This is fundamentally correct, but it's not fail safe, if you HAVE to have them closer then 18 inches, cross them at 90 degrees, but it's not a guarantee that it won't pick up noise.

unusualcivic
01-10-2004, 12:40 PM
anything that lessens the chances of alternator whine is good in my book :)

cx-r
01-10-2004, 03:16 PM
ok, i do have my cables next to each other, but the noise was not there before. it was fine for a while after i installed everything. now it is really annoying if i have my cd unit off.

Haibane
01-10-2004, 03:33 PM
just run the power line on one side of the vehicle, and the rca's and signal on the other or through the middle, this shoud do it.
I would say that would probably do well. Upgrade the magic three wires, get larger protection on the wires, check grounds, check all wiring.

GSteg
01-10-2004, 04:25 PM
This old wives tale will never die, I guess

ah yes..so true my friend.. :)

Add your comment to this topic!