2001 Tahoe Rear Speaker

shawnhuish
01-07-2004, 10:03 PM
I have a 2001 Tahoe LT with a single rear speaker. Im thinking about replacing the speaker with a better one and adding an amplifier. What is the size of the speaker? Is is possible to add an amp? Does the stock stereo have RCA output cables? Has anyone done this? Thanks for the help

mustgo69
01-07-2004, 11:29 PM
If your talking about the sub, it should be an 8" stock sub. The stock radio doesn't have RCA's. Your best bet is to go with aftermarket. I have heard of people putting another sub but, make sure it doesn't require a lot of air space and make sure to silicon the box for air tightness.

djmann02
01-24-2004, 09:42 AM
I have just recently installed an aftermarket subwoofer system in an 02 Yukon. When I took the moldings off the truck and disassembled the factory sub, I found a 2 ohm subwoofer. I would guess the volume of the box it was mounted in was no more than .3 or .4 cubic feet. What I did was snip the pos(red) and the neg(blk) wires from the sub disabling it completely. I then ran a leader wire from the orig. sub to the high level inputs of a mono amplifier we were installing.(rockford fosgate). You will have a left and a right high level input on any amp so what you have to do is wire both the left and right (pos) and then the left and right (neg) together on the amp side input so that you will have only one set of inputs now on your amp. Connect the leader wire of the sub wiring to the high inputs of the amp. There is your increased power. I built a box for the guy that was having this done as well. We installed a Rockford HE2 12" in the Yukon. Personally, it was too much sub for the rest of the factory system but it "hit" like a champ. Of course you will have to run the remote and hot wire from the front of your vehicle to the back. Good luck on that. You better have some experience with that or you may be purchasing more than you bargained for. I hope this helps. If you have any more questions, drop me a line at
djmann02@earthlink.net.

Add your comment to this topic!