Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Catastrphophic!!!!

David_
01-07-2004, 06:41 PM
ok, heres the story, i started my fujimi fc, and i layed on the primer, it was too thick.... i sanded it while it was a lil damp...(i know im an idiot)

then i sprayed on the paint..... it was too far away and i got orange peel, so i sprayed it on heavily while the first coat was wet to get rid of orange peel....... it didn't work, and i also clogged up the skirts with paint...

now what i've done is sand most of it off down to shell, but i used a knife to clear paint outa panel lines.....

the panellines look SORTA weierd.... but i was wondering if i paint will it look normal again?

and one lastthing.... should i strip ALL paint? or just try and paint it again now? (with or without primer)

thanks... i know how badly i fucked it..... :banghead:

plz help me..... :uhoh:

Kasso
01-07-2004, 06:50 PM
patience is the key young grasshopper. i guess u should strip it all and start over.

David_
01-07-2004, 06:57 PM
lol, ok what is safe to strip with? coz i heard brake fluid could still eat away at ur plastic....

and also, i've basically sanded it all out... but im worried about the wedges i made with a knife on the panel lines... what can i do about those (sanding won't even those out..)

86_SR5
01-07-2004, 07:27 PM
CSC. Castrol Super Clean! It works miracles. My suggestion for the panel lines, get a scriber, and re scribe them;.

David_
01-07-2004, 07:29 PM
thats basically what i did, but with a knife... now the paint has gone cloggy on the sides of them.... if i sand, itll jus go back into the lines.....

should i try some turps on a qtip and run it along the lines? or is that a must not do?

ShOrtyOC714
01-07-2004, 07:37 PM
Patience is the key my friend..... Use Castrol Super Cleaner, it will strip the paint off with out messing up the body, make sure you wear gloves this stuff really messes you skin up, trust me it has messed me up... :iceslolan You can get CSC at Target or K-mart or the auto parts store. Keep the body soked in it for about a day or 2. If this doesnt work use DOT 3 Brake Fluid and do the same but check every day just incase. :smile:

David_
01-07-2004, 07:40 PM
ok, thanks. and does it matter that i've scratched the body wif sandpaper? like... that wont show after i prime and paint right?

(kmart and target, are you in australia?)

ShOrtyOC714
01-07-2004, 07:49 PM
ok, thanks. and does it matter that i've scratched the body wif sandpaper? like... that wont show after i prime and paint right?

(kmart and target, are you in australia?)
Yes it does matter, if the scratches are fine (1000+) grit like if your sanding down the body like prepping, it will be ok, but if u got big scratches you better sand it down.

I live in Cali.

David_
01-07-2004, 07:50 PM
oh one more thing, ive glued on the front bumper, spoiler and mirrors.... should i do taht before painting?.... or did i make another horrible mistake?

and the scratches? you can't feel them, but you can see them..... so is that safe? to paint over?

ShOrtyOC714
01-07-2004, 07:55 PM
oh one more thing, ive glued on the front bumper, spoiler and mirrors.... should i do taht before painting?.... or did i make another horrible mistake?

and the scratches? you can't feel them, but you can see them..... so is that safe? to paint over?

Yeah, your soposed to glue the bumper on before you paint, the side mirrors are optional if u want to put them on before or after, What was the last grit you sanding your car with?

PLEASE VISIT THE FAQ!!!! THE WILL HELP YOU OUT VERY MUCH!

David_
01-07-2004, 07:57 PM
lol, i have no idea... my dad gave me a satchel of sandpaper, and i used it... so yea....

and i've been to faq... can't really find any examples of something gone this wrong...

modelman
01-07-2004, 09:17 PM
I am a newbie as well, and had the EXACT same problem on my Fujimi NSX-T, i went to my hobby shop, and they gave me this stuff calles ELO paint remover. It works wonders on plastic models. my NSX turned out perfect afterwards. it comes in a metal container, it is brown and white and costa about $8.00.

Good Luck!:lol:

blueboost
01-07-2004, 10:50 PM
im almost positive you should give your car a sanding with a VERY fine grit at this point, if your unsure then sand it out a bit cause it'll show, you'll see hairline scratches.

strip it and see what your working with first. if you've really cut your panel lines up good then you can use some putty and then just carve the line back.

painting a model well just comes with time, its not going to happen overnight so don't be hard on yourself, even if you've been trying a while. I'm not that great at it myself yet and it really pisses me off!!

David_
01-08-2004, 04:29 AM
thanks for all ur help guys, but it seems i've saved it.... or at least i think i have.....

i used a qtip over the panel lines with a qtip with wd, and that removed most clogging..... then i layed twice with primer, and the scratches are basically gone... (except for where i went hard, but that should be fine after the coats of paint)

thanks for all the help tho, i now take more time and care when painting.... something i should have done in first place... i'd post pics, but no cam as yet....

anyway, if u guys want me to continue my update of model via text... i'll post in subforum

ata
01-08-2004, 09:17 AM
I was once in the 80's stripping paint from couple of Pontiac Firebird Trans Am models and I forgot the bodies to the brake fluid for a little too long... :) Well, at least I got some Firebird parts for other projects... :D

Brake fluid works, but you have to be really careful with it...

willimo
01-08-2004, 12:43 PM
Like it's been said before. Patience.

First, you MUST strip the model of all its paint. Do that FIRST. Do nothing until then. Use either CSC, brake fluid, or that ELO stuff (that I've heard of, but never used). These are all solvents, they all have the potential to destroy the plastic. I really don't think you'll need to leave your model in the stripper for a couple days. I painted a Hilux at noon, didn't like the color, stripped the paint, and was able to paint it again before dark. I had a Skyline I painted a couple years ago that I didn't use primer on, I tossed that in CSC and it was ready in a couple hours. I use a toothbrush and rubber gloves to expedite the process, but it doesn't take long. Key is, keep checking the model as it bathes in the solvent. When the paint slides of in sheets, you'll be able to take the model out and scrub all the paint off easily. USE GLOVES! USE GLOVES! USE GLOVES!

How did you attach the spoiler and mirrors and the like? Plastic cement or CA (superglue)? If you used superglue, your in luck, you can use acetone (found in some nail polish removers, check the label) to eat the CA and dissassemble the parts. If you used plastic cement, they probably won't come off, I have no idea how much glue you used. If you can take the model apart, do that next.

Once all the paint is off, check your panel lines. I don't really understand what you did to the model, but you can probably save the panel lines. Use a scriber, not a knife. Do it AFTER you strip the model, and if you need to sand the body anymore, do it, wash it, scrub it, and the panel lines should be ok. You probably won't have to sand the model anymore if it feels smooth to the touch. I usually rough up the surface with fine paper before I prime it; you can see swirls all over the model, but it is smooth to the touch and after primer its fine.

Next, finally, do it all over again. If you mess up, strip it. Keep trying until your happy. Don't be afraid to strip it and start over. Just be patient, and you'll come up with something you can live with. Good luck.

VnnyDaPooh
01-08-2004, 05:00 PM
Duuuude, patience is key dude.

Hiroboy
01-08-2004, 05:27 PM
Not the oly one to have a paint Fcuk up, my Skyline Coupe 350GT was looking great in white then I figured i'd clear coat it for that extra shine and ahhhhhhhhh, it's crazing and eating into plastic with minutes, into the Dot 4 for 12 hours (still wet). Hopefully it can be saved as it was looking so nice :(

86_SR5
01-08-2004, 06:24 PM
Not the oly one to have a paint Fcuk up, my Skyline Coupe 350GT was looking great in white then I figured i'd clear coat it for that extra shine and ahhhhhhhhh, it's crazing and eating into plastic with minutes, into the Dot 4 for 12 hours (still wet). Hopefully it can be saved as it was looking so nice :(
ouch! sorry to hear that steve. seeing as you've probably built more skylines here than any of us! But your good at what you do.
I too have been the victim of paint fuckups, that's why I never finished the GTR R34.

David_
01-11-2004, 07:14 AM
what? so clearcoat always eats into ur other paint? or does it eat into the plastic model.....

coz i was thinking of doing a clearcoat to my fc tomorow....

oh btw, after all the coats of paint, it's got an acceptable shine by my standards, even tho its a bit lumpy in parts that i didn't sand properly (didn't use csc or brake fluid coz i couldn't find any...)

Add your comment to this topic!