Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tapping in top end

c0ldfuzi0n
01-06-2004, 08:34 PM
Hey, Ive got this 94 corolla it's 1.8L and double overhead cam and its making this bad tapping in the top end ive tried replacing the lifters and the lifter shims on the lifters that messured too much clearence so it's not the lifters or the shims has anyone heard of these symptoms and if so whats wrong with it and how can i fix it. thanks in advance....

and if it helps the person that owned the car before me ran it almost completely out of oil and that is when the noise started....

Spyder159
02-16-2004, 10:00 PM
It's hard to say if he let the oil run out. But I had a 240sx and I had the same thing happening. I kept hearing a tapping coming from the lifters. I changed out all the lifters and I was getting the same tapping noise. I came across a post that told about carbon knocking from running low grade gas. I ran 94 octane even 91 would work too, I ran it for about three tanks of gas and the knocking went away. After that I would run it about every two or other tanks of gas. I guess carbon builds up around and can cause the noise. Its a cheap fix if it works!!!! Hope it helps

|PuNiSh3R|
02-17-2004, 12:19 AM
It's valve tap... hard to say exactly what is causing it though.

c0ldfuzi0n
02-17-2004, 12:37 AM
thanks man but it turned out to be a OMG seriously bad rod bearing so bad that it was paper thin... but thanks for replying...

|PuNiSh3R|
02-17-2004, 11:05 AM
Oooh.. a rod bearing.. U heard that from the top of the engine.. I guess it was smacking up n down on the crank shaft.

c0ldfuzi0n
02-17-2004, 11:50 AM
yea really baddly and a new problem just developed after replacing the bad bearing it runs good and when i rev the engine in park its very smooth but when im driving and accelerate...at about 30 im getting a tapping.... any ideas and its only when im driving i can red line it in park and it sounds good and its smooth

c0ldfuzi0n
02-17-2004, 11:52 AM
and its only when i accelerate, not fast but, like at a pulling out into traffic speed

TekPhobia
02-17-2004, 01:02 PM
Sorry to hear about the rod bearing. Toyota isn't known for failure. Only until they are severely neglected (e.g., little to no oil) will things happen.

Anyway. For the noise that you're hearing now. Is it a tapping or does it sound more like marbles being shaken up inside a can? That would be detonation ("ping"). I've induced ping in my engine and recorded it:

http://tekphobia.home.comcast.net/engineping.wav

-OR-

http://tekphobia.home.comcast.net/engineping.mp3

Does it sound like that?

-Tim

c0ldfuzi0n
02-17-2004, 06:26 PM
yea just like that but after letting it sit while i was at work it didnt do it ne more at least that i could notice...what is it

TekPhobia
02-17-2004, 07:55 PM
That is detonation (not to be confused with pre-ignition). It can be caused a number of things. Two of the most common are overly advanced ignition timing and a clogged EGR system. I would suggest getting a book on your car and look into cleaning the EGR system and its passages.

-Tim

c0ldfuzi0n
02-18-2004, 09:47 AM
ok thanks....just so everyone knows ive gotten more help here than anywhere else thanks guys.

Add your comment to this topic!