1996 P11 wiring diagram - dashlights

makavel1
01-06-2004, 04:04 AM
Hey there

I have recently bought a japanese import 1996 Primera 4wd (not sure if it is a gx, gti, td etc.). After i'd installed my aftermarket cd player I noticed that my dashlights (as in the illumination behind the speedometer, rev gauge etc.) did not work, however everything else seems to be working fine e.g. exterior lights etc.

After I discovered this, i pulled everything out again to check if I could fix the fault. I found a wiring harness which had 3 wires attached, a 12V positive lead, an ACC lead and a 3rd lead which acts as a "switch" for the dashlights. The harness was not attached to the factory radio and there are no sockets on the radio or anywhere nearby that the harness was connected to.

After connecting the above leads I get mixed results:

a. connecting the switch lead to the positive lead leaves the dashlights on all the time, cd player will not work at all

b. connecting the switch lead to the acc lead turns the dashlights on when ignition is in ACC position, cd player will not work at all

c. connecting the switch lead to the electric antenna lead on the cd player does absolutely nothing at all, but the cd player works

I find it really bizarre that a car stereo would be wired to the dashlights, it's the first car i have come across that has this setup.

I would really appreciate it if someone with a wiring diagram for a P11 could respond to this post, or if you have run into this problem in the past. I found a wiring diagram for a P10 on another site but the wiring is colour coded differently.

thanks

makavel1
01-13-2004, 03:20 AM
well don't everyone reply at once
geez i thought you people helped each other here oh well guess i'll go pay some overpriced auto electrician to put a $2 connector in or something stupid like that

Xlnc1983
02-04-2004, 10:06 AM
Not any real help but i currently have the same problem. I've plugged the power for the dash lights into the acc on my stereo so the dash lights come on when the ignition does. pain in the as, but it works!
PB I noticed that when the dash lights arent working neither are your tail lights, this is illegal, so make sure you sort it!!!

makavel1
02-05-2004, 06:14 AM
thanks man, i tried that about a week ago. the dashlights come on when the ignition is in the acc position, but it also turns the park lights on as well. the other weird thing is that my park lights will not turn on when the car is not in the acc or on position. anyway, it seems to be a temporary fix but i feel like a bit of d!ck driving around with my lights on during the day.

i'm a bit surprised that we are the only two people on this whole forum that have this trouble, i guess the rest of these muppets like driving round listening to the tinny nissan unit

nissantech
03-16-2004, 04:54 PM
hello guys, if you disconnect the cd player do your lights return to normal?
if they do the fault is with the wiring at the cd player.
have you used a proper radio adapter or have you cut the nissan loom and made your own connections?
there will be a side light wire to the audio plug, have you tried to remove this wire and retest?

SashaSR20DE
03-22-2004, 10:08 AM
Hello

I had the same porblem on my p10, when I got the radio installed (by a Radio installing company) the dash and the tail ligths didnīt work. I took the car to a friend who know those things, he said that the problem is was that two cabels one + and on - were conected together. so the problem was with the adapter I used (It was the correct one) only that two cabels were in the wrong place, Wich I donīt know :(

And makavel1 donīt feel bad about ligt is on during the day. Here in sweden itīs normal, every car must have automatic ligths on during nigth and day.

Bye all

agathoth
07-07-2005, 06:15 PM
In case anyone else has the same problem: the solution for me was to disconnect the dashlight cable altogether, and earth the stereo direct to the chassis. Then everything works as it should.

Connecting the interior illumination cable to the ground of the stereo can cause the tail light fuse to blow.

Add your comment to this topic!