2002 Alero dash & door pads came unglued & warped. Fuse blows for tail & dash lights

red_alero
01-06-2004, 12:08 AM
My 2002 Alero dash and three door pads have come unglued and have become buckled and warped, just a few days after the 3 year or 36,000 mile warranty ran out.

GM and the dealer have refused to fix it. The extended warranty will not cover it. It has now depreciated thousands of dollars because of this factory defect so that it now has no resale or trade-in value.

At 37,000 miles the fuse to the tail and dash lights began to blow and take out the tail and dash lights. It has been in the shop several times, but so far the mechanic has still not been able to find out where the short is that is causing the fuse to blow.

I can no longer drive the 2002 Alero after dark because I can't keep tail and dash lights until the problem can be found in order to fix it.

Has anyone else had this problem and have any information about it? Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

jeffarmstrong9
10-19-2004, 04:20 PM
My daughter has and 01 Alero 70,000 miles just last week dash light gone the window and door lock buttons won't illuminate and tail lights are gone. Brake light work fine. What's the deal. Any clues? I was thinking maybe something to do with the light sensor (detects lightness/darkness and Automatically turns lights on or off) I don't know. Maybe it's in the circit of the switch that turns all the stuff on??????
Let me know if you have solved this weird problem??? Thanks Jeff from Iowa

red_alero
10-20-2004, 07:35 AM
The problem that caused my fuses to keep blowing which took out my tail and dash lights was that the factory "crimped" wires in the wiring system of my Alero when they put it together.

A Chevy dealer finally was able to track it down and fix the wiring. They also installed the factory recalled "flasher" switch.

It was a factory defect, but I had to pay for it anyway because I was over my 36,000/3yr.

jeffarmstrong9
10-20-2004, 09:09 AM
Yeah, her Alero is out of warranty too, that's why I'm here, to see if I can find the problem before I have to shell out big bucks. You say you were blowing fuses. I went thru all the COLORED ones and didn't see any that were popped/bad. She just might have a short in the circit. Was your instrument panel out as well? Thanks for the info. When I do fix it (positive thinking here) I'll definately let you know what I did.

jeffarmstrong9
10-20-2004, 09:11 AM
Da, I just scrolled up and read that your dash lights were out. My bad

red_alero
10-20-2004, 12:14 PM
The fuse that kept blowing because of the crimped wire caused my tail lights go go out but I still had brake lights.

It caused the dash lights go out completely as well. I replaced several fuses and they just kept blowing again. Finally a Chevrolet dealer ran it though their diagnostic machine and found the place inside the left rear tail light that was crimped and caused the problem.

Keep in mind that the crimped wire was installed at the factory and it took two years for it to get so bad that it started blowing the fuse that took out my tail and dash lights.

I had other problems that were fixed when they also put in the Hazard switch that was on the recall.

Some people have reported that water leaded down on the fuse box and caused them to short out and cause multiple problems.

jeffarmstrong9
10-20-2004, 01:10 PM
Hey - Thank You for your time and info. I think I'll sniff around some of the wiring around my problem areas to see if I notice any inconsistancies. Thanks Again. At least now I have somewhere to start.

red_alero
10-22-2004, 08:03 AM
Good luck to you on finding crimped wires.

My fuse blowing wiring problem wasn't able to be found until I took it to a Chevy dealer and they put it on their diagnostic machine and the machine found the problem area in the wiring right away.

I don't remember the exact cost, but it was less than $100. I have a $100 deductible on my extended warranty and they didn't charge me enough to where the extended warranty had to pay anything.

I think they charged a flat fee of about $65 to use the machine and then the dealer hourly rate to fix it.

My crimped wire was up inside the tail lights where it couldn't have been found without taking off the tail light covers or putting it on the diagnoistic machine as the Chevy dealer did.

Remember this crimped wire was done at the factory when my car was built and it didn't cause a problem until the Alero was two years old and had just 37,000 miles on it.

I recomend anyone who hasn't had the recalled Hazard switch replaced to do so ASAP as it causes many unpredictible problems with the lights and other electrical things. The GM dealers have to install that for you free of charge if your Alero is on the list of recalls.

jeffarmstrong9
10-22-2004, 09:14 AM
Hey, I wnet home tuesday evening and scoured all the fuses and found a bad one, wola. Dash lights work, tail lights work everybody is happy. Hopefully, that was blown because of the stereo install. It is now Friday and it hasn't popped yet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed it was a one time deal. If it does pop again I'll definatley take out the tail lights and check around there first. Thanks a ton. I had made an appointment to get her Alero looked at by an Olds dealer for today. In fixing the problem I canclled and am now money ahead. Thanks again. Jeff from Iowa

Add your comment to this topic!