Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Dashboard lights dont come on

bazzamer
01-04-2004, 05:20 PM
Hi All,
Nissan Primera 1.6 SX 1998
I put the ignition on and the dash lights do not come on, turn the key off and on a couple of times and then they come on. If I sit and wait it can take poss 8 secs for they come on sometimes longer and it is getting worse. This does not happen every time, a friend has sugested that it could be the contacts at the end of the ignition key barrel. It seems like a common problem so has anybody solved it yet.
Many Thanks
Barry

nissantech
01-06-2004, 04:32 PM
when you have no dash lights will the car crank over? if not i would recommend that you replace the ignition switch. the switch can be removed quite easily, remove the steering wheel couling, there is a black circle on the end of the ignition key lock which is the switch. remove the one philips head screw and remove the switch. you can than test the switch by using a suitable tool to turn the switch into each position, (acc, start, etc). you can try to clean the contacts but be-aware it contains some small contacts and springs. i have changed quite afew of these. hope this helps

bazzamer
01-10-2004, 03:30 PM
Hi
Many thanks for the reply, I have tried turning the ignition switch to the on position not aux and no lights further turning will crank the engine but it does not fire which I supose is normal with no lights. Sometimes the lights come on and the car starts ok seems to be intermittent.
I did think it was the problem but was unsure if I took it out I would get springs and things flyine everywhere.
PS. There are 2 screws holding mine in and one looks very akward to get at a very short dumpy required.
Many thanks once again i will order one.
Barry

bazzamer
01-14-2004, 06:43 AM
Hi All
Many thanks for everybodys help I have now solved the problem, it was the ignition assy as the nissantech sugested. Incase anybody is interested the part no is:487502F010 and it cost £27.73 inc VAT. Very easy to replace but dont try and repair old one you will get it apart but very difficult to put back together. The contacts on mine were nearly burnt out. So many thanks onece again.
Barry

Add your comment to this topic!