1988 Isuzu Pick-up Stalls a lot

bkrakora
01-03-2004, 02:51 PM
Any advice is welcome. I have a 1988 2WD 2.3L Carb Standard Pickup. The truck will stall after reaching operating tempature and idling in nuetral. That is, it stalls when warm and sitting at a stop light or slowing down (in nuetral) for a turn. I have replaced or checked all the vacuum hoses, replaced the fuel and air filters, checked the timing, replaced the EGR valve, added fuel cleaner many times, sprayed the carb inside and out with carb cleaner, tighted the air intake (maybe that wasn't a good idea), added a vaccuum gauge to monitor vaccuum while driving (found no major leaks- it runs about 15 to 20 psi), replaced a broken wire due to trouble code 31 (short in igintion system), replaced oxygen sensor (to fix a possible lean fuel problem due to trouble code 44), and adjusted rocker arm clearance. Now, there are no trouble codes in memory. I have not adjusted any idle screws on the carb because a sticker under the hood said so. Currently, I am looking for a used distributor since the igintion module is inside. Please help!

Thank you!

desmarkus
07-26-2004, 01:27 PM
I have a fuel injected 92 with the same problem I've changed everything. still won't idle.

If you manage to fix it let eveyone know what the problem was.

bkrakora
07-27-2004, 06:57 AM
I have since given the truck to my Dad. He thought bypassing all the EPA stuff would help, but it did not. Other than this problem, it was a good truck! I hope you have better luck than I did.

bkrakora
07-27-2004, 06:59 AM
Also, my Dad tried adjusting the idle screws on the carb. That didn't work either.

desmarkus
07-27-2004, 07:53 AM
I don't think the problem relates to the fuel system directly as mine is fuel injected and yours is carburated. But it is a tough one. I've been running mine for 2 years like this. Everything good but the idle.

minyard
09-01-2004, 08:28 PM
I found not running the AC helped my idle (not to stall anyway) on my 87 Pup.

Looking forward to more suggestions to fix this prob...

bkrakora
09-02-2004, 06:59 AM
That is intresting. The pup, now my dad's, had the a/c removed many owners ago. I wonder if the computer is looking for some voltage reading or other feedback from the a/c compressor or if there was a sensor removed with the a/c lines.

b65pauls
04-02-2005, 08:12 PM
If you have a plate that sits under the carb, the shaft bushing can wear out ,causing a vacuum leak. Try using a straw and drip water on the shaft. See if it sucks the water into the intake throat. Replaced the bushing ( $40 parts/labor) at carb shop. Runs great now!

Add your comment to this topic!