Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Bypass A/C with belt or pully?

malibuss
01-03-2004, 06:18 AM
My 1989 LaSabre A/C pump is making a terrible racket. Does anyone know a source of supply for a pully to replace the pump to keep original belt size or a belt# so I can just not hook serpintine belt to pump.

Craig
MalibuSS@yahoo.com

comp
01-15-2004, 10:49 PM
are you still checking in??? you ain't alone, :screwy: and i ain't got the
$$$ to spend 450-500 just on the compressor right now, have you got
anything???? :banghead:

malibuss
01-16-2004, 09:18 AM
are you still checking in??? you ain't alone, :screwy: and i ain't got the
$$$ to spend 450-500 just on the compressor right now, have you got
anything???? :banghead:

I was not the A/c Pump. iy was the Harmonic Balancer.. I went to Auto-zones website. They provide a part # for a 3.8 Lasabre w/o AC

Craig

malibuss
01-16-2004, 09:27 AM
I was not the A/c Pump. iy was the Harmonic Balancer.. I went to Auto-zones website. They provide a part # for a 3.8 Lasabre w/o AC

Craig

The harmonic balancer is so close to the A/ it tricks you. Auto-zone has the bypass belt
Craig

MalibuSS@yahoo.com. Feel free to write!

comp
01-16-2004, 09:49 AM
THANKS my question now is ,did your compressor engage and cycle ok
but just made noise that sounded like a valve train coming apart???? :sly:

malibuss
01-20-2004, 03:04 PM
THANKS my question now is ,did your compressor engage and cycle ok
but just made noise that sounded like a valve train coming apart???? :sly:

The compressor engaged and cycled fine. It was not the AC Compressor after all. (I did go to the AUTO Zone website and find a belt # for a '89 w/o A/c. I bypassed the pump thinking that was the source. it still made the noise (only at idle) He said the 3.8 was known for harmonic balancer problems. Sure enough I could turn the balancer by hand. I bough a new one $80.00 and all problems were fixed that day.

Problem two days later I hit a snowbank and messed up the front clip. . .more to follow.

Add your comment to this topic!